So, I was working on chord changes to Good Riddance by green day. Kept on wondering Why I was putting so much pressure on my ring finger, instead of my pinky, like I was trying to do.

So I looked at the strings over my pickups when trying this. When I tried pressing down with my pinky it pressed down my ring finger as well and then it hit me.

On both on my hands my pinky and ring finger act as a whole. think of a 3 legged race where two legs are tied together. My ring pinky act together somewhat.

Now, is there a way to fix this? some kind of exercises or what?
Last edited by Halt at Sep 11, 2010,
this kind of thing takes time, finger independence exercises help a ton. you can try stretching them apart and it'll help but again, it takes time. its because theres a tendon that stretches across the muscles of your ring finger and pinky finger
"The most important thing about music is energy and emotion, not how well you can play. Technique should be a tool to achieve your vision, not the other way around."
-Jeff Tuttle

More guitar, less ultimate-guitar!
Try these finger permutations:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/bass_lessons/stretching_and_warm-up_excercises.html
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Jan/Shred_Technique.aspx
Try them as eight notes, then sixteenth notes, then triplets or whatever you prefer.

Scales with proper fingerings and arpeggios help too

AND
Watch that Satriani video on stretches. I don't know the link but I'm sure whoever posts after me can put it up.

Have fun.
Last edited by Don't Read This at Sep 11, 2010,
the satch vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCazHyVBA6w

there`s another little excercise you can do without your guitar

touch the tip of each finger in turn with the tip of your thumb, go from index to pinky then back again gradually getting faster and repeat at least 10 times, if you start getting very fast push for 50, be sure to make a perfect circle with your thumb and whichever finger everytime (i use this as part of my warm up, hell i even do it when driving or watching tv).

everyone i`ve ever taught and other players i`ve met had this issue that you have you just need to train your fingers to work independantly
Quote by ibanezgod1973
the satch vid

touch the tip of each finger in turn with the tip of your thumb, go from index to pinky then back again gradually getting faster and repeat at least 10 times, if you start getting very fast push for 50, be sure to make a perfect circle with your thumb and whichever finger everytime (i use this as part of my warm up, hell i even do it when driving or watching tv).

Dude I like that. Nice.

You need to work on stretching your fingers out and just take the time to gain finger indepdence.
Quote by Halt
Thanks guys, anything else you could add?

Why would you want anymore? I think that's a solid 3 months of practice at the least. Especially with the Satch video.

As a musician -especially as a wind instrumentalist- i've learned not to ask for a lot of answers but to work on the few answers i get -thoroughly. If i find that those answers don't work I'll ask again.

That said, you'll be fine with the information you have in this thread if you put the time into it.
Hey man this technique helped me to get my fingers to move seperately. each finger gets its own fret. index goes on the first, middle goes on the second, ring on the third, and pinky on the four. since you're having trouble with the ring and pinky moving seperately, make sure the three rings out.

e|------------------------------------------------------------------0-1-2-3-4----------------
B|-----------------------------------------------------0-1-2-3-4-----------------------------
G|----------------------------------------0-1-2-3-4------------------------------------------
D|---------------------------0-1-2-3-4-------------------------------------------------------
A|--------------0-1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------------------------
E|-0-1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go up and then down, make sure you hear every note.
Quote by krypticguitar87
Hey man this technique helped me to get my fingers to move seperately. each finger gets its own fret. index goes on the first, middle goes on the second, ring on the third, and pinky on the four. since you're having trouble with the ring and pinky moving seperately, make sure the three rings out.

e|------------------------------------------------------------------0-1-2-3-4----------------
B|-----------------------------------------------------0-1-2-3-4-----------------------------
G|----------------------------------------0-1-2-3-4------------------------------------------
D|---------------------------0-1-2-3-4-------------------------------------------------------
A|--------------0-1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------------------------
E|-0-1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go up and then down, make sure you hear every note.

+1 to this, I play it up and down each string to the 12th fret tho.
Quote by Don't Read This
I'm sorry that probably was rude, but it's the single most important thing i've learned. It's the adage "Shut up and Practice."

The most important things I've ever learned when learning a skill. Ask a LOT of questions. Yeah there's quite a bit of information. But I asked if there was anything else because I've found that there is ALWAYS more. The more I know, the less time I can spend asking questions.

And then when I'm ready to move on I already know what to work on next instead of looking around and such.
Quote by Halt
The most important things I've ever learned when learning a skill. Ask a LOT of questions. Yeah there's quite a bit of information. But I asked if there was anything else because I've found that there is ALWAYS more. The more I know, the less time I can spend asking questions.

And then when I'm ready to move on I already know what to work on next instead of looking around and such.

Yes i understand that. But i felt that when I was given a bunch of exercises I wouldn't even work on half of them. So i think it's best to have one or two exercises and practice the crap out of them. It's a quality over quantity type of thing.