SUMMARY: Demonstrating upright bass for little kids to interest them in orchestra and jazz band. Need some good jazz basslines/songs they might know to entertain them.

Hello, Pit. I'm a high school senior. This Monday and Tuesday, I'll be going to the elementary schools in my school district with other members of the music department in an annual attempt to get kids interested in joining their school's band/choir/orchestra/etc. I'm going to be playing upright bass. I'm a little shaky with a bow, but am very comfortable with the instrument as a whole. The orchestra director suggested that I play some jazz, which is perfect for me, since that's what I do for fun anyway. Herein lies the problem: Selection of the basslines. As of yet, I'm considering Hatian Fight Song, A Night in Tunisia, The Sidewinder, and So What. I'm not entirely sure that these will be interesting to the kids though (I'll probably try to take Hatian Fight Song at the speed Mingus does on "Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus"). Having said that, I am supposed to play jazz, since it also ties into the jazz band, but something they know can't hurt. Any suggestions on catchy, jazzy basslines/Pop songs for upright?
Well there's this one Fall Out Boy song...

No but really, I think there's a bass forum, that'd probably be more helpful.

There's love cats by the cure but i think if the kids can't dig jazz, upright probably isn't their instrument....
Quote by Gerard_xD
Well there's this one Fall Out Boy song...

No but really, I think there's a bass forum, that'd probably be more helpful.

I considered it, but I my reasoning was that it was less focused on the upright bass part and more on the song selection. You have a good point, though, so I'll give it a few minutes and delete this topic/move it if I feel unassisted.
Quote by smartguyreviews
I considered it, but I my reasoning was that it was less focused on the upright bass part and more on the song selection. You have a good point, though, so I'll give it a few minutes and delete this topic/move it if I feel unassisted.

Well the thread actually seems to be staying on topic, it would seem the pit are more mature than I thought
and +1 to lovecats

^Believe me, I would love to talk about Ron Carter and play a few of his lines for the kids, but not only would it be over their heads, I probably couldn't manage any recognizable basslines Carter plays or has played Outside of Seven Steps to Heaven and The Dude (Donald Byrd). I'm saving Ron Carter for later - I occasionally try to mimic him on His and Jim Hall's "Alone Together", usually to no avail. (Not much upright experience, it all kind of carried over from guitar).
Quote by killboypowerhed

Well now I have to do this. I watched the video, learned the melody, tried soloing (I got a day to work on it). The only question is whether or not to wear sunglasses while playing. If this turns out to be a demonstration that involves a bunch of us playing scales, all the better. Thanks for the idea and the great link.

And Lovecats is perfect, thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.
Haitian Fight Song - Charles Mingus. ****ing do that shit.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
We've got a bass forum for a reason, Holmes!
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Already was planning on Hatian Fight Song, but I'm glad to know I've got some support on that. And I wasn't really focusing on the bass aspect, more about what would the elementary school kids dig. The Pit has delivered and I don't think anyone's been inconvenienced, so all in all, this is has been a success.
Quote by spitonastranger
There's love cats by the cure but i think if the kids can't dig jazz, upright probably isn't their instrument....

Nah, upright is good for classical as well. I play the double bass and classical is about all we ever play in orchestra.