So I bought myself a Peavey 6505 Plus, and it's pretty groovy. My only problem is that I can't really crank the thing to see how the distortion really sounds because I get ear shattering levels of feedback. So, to fix this problem, I was curious what I should get, a Noise Gate pedal or an Attenuator. What should I do?
For one.... don't stand in front of the amp facing it. And look at your surroundings and try to better aim the cab at something that won't bounce the sound easy. I love metal but i never really got a good sound out of a 6505, how do you like it?
Quote by OmniWarrior
For one.... don't stand in front of the amp facing it. And look at your surroundings and try to better aim the cab at something that won't bounce the sound easy. I love metal but i never really got a good sound out of a 6505, how do you like it?

It's alright. People kept suggesting I get it, and for the price it seemed to be the best choice, but I can't really attain the thrash tones I could on my shitty little Harmony amp. I know the amp should be cranked and I should probably change the stock tubes when I can, but I can't get a very good thrash tone. Also, I have a pretty small room, so moving the amp anywhere else is kind of impossible. It's at the best location it can be.
Quote by iLaxative
You shouldnt really need to crank a 6505+ imo, it has tons of gain on tap.

So... attenuator?
Quote by Anzio
So... attenuator?

Did you even read what he said or know what an attenuator is? You don't need an attenuator if you're playing metal at low volumes as the tone doesn't come from the power amp distorting. More important is getting the speakers working a bit which is frankly impossible at low volumes. So you're out of luck there.

Noise gates should be last resort items. You should try everything else to get rid of noise first and if it's still there, then buy a noise gate. What are your settings?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
6505+'s have plenty of PRE gain, but that doesn't neccessarily give their best tone.

...anyhow...

attenuators will take a little volume off the top. attenuate too much and it'll suck tone like a high dollar ***** sucks dick (pretty much anything beyond 8dB unless you drop the cash for a good unit like the Phanton).

frontloaded gates will help fight feedback, but will do nothing to the volume.

have you tried turning your cab around?
Quote by mmolteratx
Did you even read what he said or know what an attenuator is? You don't need an attenuator if you're playing metal at low volumes as the tone doesn't come from the power amp distorting. More important is getting the speakers working a bit which is frankly impossible at low volumes. So you're out of luck there.

Noise gates should be last resort items. You should try everything else to get rid of noise first and if it's still there, then buy a noise gate. What are your settings?

I misread what he said. I thought he said I should really need to crank it.

Quote by GrisKy
6505+'s have plenty of PRE gain, but that doesn't neccessarily give their best tone.

...anyhow...

attenuators will take a little volume off the top. attenuate too much and it'll suck tone like a high dollar ***** sucks dick (pretty much anything beyond 8dB unless you drop the cash for a good unit like the Phanton).

frontloaded gates will help fight feedback, but will do nothing to the volume.

have you tried turning your cab around?

Like towards the wall? Not really.
what guitar/pickups are you using? amp settings?

I suggest a noise gate for sure its almost always a good choice for playing high gain stuff at volumes higher than bedroom level.
I have a Kaman GTX 23 with a Seymour Duncan humbucker in the bridge. I don't know what kind it is.

On the lead channel, I have the Treble at around 3, Mids cut to around 9, and bass around 1, with the distortion either maxed or turned down to 3, and the volume hasn't gone over 3 yet, mostly because of the feedback.
You shouldn't have the distortion maxed out, that gives a lot of feedback/noise issues on its own. The 6505 has a SH*T load of gain on tap.. You shouldn't need to put that thing on more than 6/10, and that's like hardcore death metal already
(Well to my ears..)
Putting your Gain up that high (while not 'wrong') is probably the reason why you're getting crazy feedback. You can get a great hard rock/metal tone staying in the 6/10 region (1 o'clock - 2 o'clock ). Presence and Resonance knobs are also VERY important. I prefer to keep the presence in the 3-4 range (10 o'clock) and the resonance up around 7/10 (2 o'clock to keep the tone thick/full).

Having your gain up that high may also make your tone a lil 'flubby' as well so again turning the gain down to 6 or 7/10 is a good place to max out. Keep in mind that a lot of 'pro' bands that use the amp, if not using an OD pedal put their gain around the 5-7 mark. With an OD a lot of 'pro' bands tend to put the gain at the 4ish/10 mark (just fyi to give you an idea of what a lot of guitarists do with that amplifier).

EDIT: either way I do suggest a Noise gate and perhaps turning your gain down (you don't have to but at least give it an honest try especially since most bands that use that amp do not use as much pregain as you do but of course that doesn't mean you should follow what everyone else does but if you're going to have your gain almost maxed out then you'll NEED a noisegate FOR SURE.
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Sep 11, 2010,
An attenuator won't turn a high wattage amp into a bedroom friendly amp. The feedback is from sitting/standing too close to the amp with too much gain dialed in.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
Putting your Gain up that high (while not 'wrong') is probably the reason why you're getting crazy feedback. You can get a great hard rock/metal tone staying in the 6/10 region (1 o'clock - 2 o'clock ). Presence and Resonance knobs are also VERY important. I prefer to keep the presence in the 3-4 range (10 o'clock) and the resonance up around 7/10 (2 o'clock to keep the tone thick/full).

Having your gain up that high may also make your tone a lil 'flubby' as well so again turning the gain down to 6 or 7/10 is a good place to max out. Keep in mind that a lot of 'pro' bands that use the amp, if not using an OD pedal put their gain around the 5-7 mark. With an OD a lot of 'pro' bands tend to put the gain at the 4ish/10 mark (just fyi to give you an idea of what a lot of guitarists do with that amplifier).

EDIT: either way I do suggest a Noise gate and perhaps turning your gain down (you don't have to but at least give it an honest try especially since most bands that use that amp do not use as much pregain as you do but of course that doesn't mean you should follow what everyone else does but if you're going to have your gain almost maxed out then you'll NEED a noisegate FOR SURE.

Alright, I'll give that a try.
Quote by Anzio
Like towards the wall? Not really.

yeah. that's what i thought. try it.
Get a Boss NS-2 on ebay. $50 fix. If for some reason you have cash to spend with no consequence, then get the ISP Decimator G String. That's $250.

Assuming you get the NS-2, look up "Boss NS-2 X Connection".

Your problem will vanish. I guarantee it.

Also, don't mean to be a dick, but
Quote by Anzio

On the lead channel, I have the Treble at around 3, Mids cut to around 9, and bass around 1, with the distortion either maxed or turned down to 3, and the volume hasn't gone over 3 yet, mostly because of the feedback.

Cut mids to 9?

Also, you have absolutely no reason to get anywhere near max gain on the 6505. The thing is a monster. If you're not getting that much gain out of it, then chances are the tubes are going bad in it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm thinking he means 9:00 not 9 out of 10....just guessing.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Ah, that would be way more logical.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Vinson
I'm thinking he means 9:00 not 9 out of 10....just guessing.

Yeah, this is correct.

Now I don't have the volume turned up very loud at all, it's at like 3 (I forgot there were numbers on the amp. I'm used to my Harmony, which is pretty bare.), so I really haven't cranked it at all, cause of the feedback and also maybe the volume as well. It's pretty extremely loud.
A isp decimator would be a good investment.......also what are your volume and tone knobs on the guitar set to??