Crit4crit
I need to know if I made the bass part better on this song, I switched it and re-wrote it, but I thought the new one was better, euboat said old one sounded tighter. I'd really like some more opinions.

old one:
http://soundcloud.com/velvet_rose_tragedy5/1337-demo-with-watermarks

new one:
http://soundcloud.com/velvet_rose_tragedy5/1337-v0-7

You can also tell me what you think of the song overall.
It's a little hard deciding myself, cuz whichever one I choose will go on my first album with a label.
The vocals at the beginning being off time are driving me nuts!!! haha

The bass in the new one is much tighter and much nicer sounding.

Also, I wouldn't really call it trance. More like video game techno.

Oh, and you could make it a little more interesting by playing with the stereo image.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
The vocals at the beginning being off time are driving me nuts!!! haha

The bass in the new one is much tighter and much nicer sounding.

Also, I wouldn't really call it trance. More like video game techno.

Oh, and you could make it a little more interesting by playing with the stereo image.

The vocals are just there to be annoying and so no one can steal it, even though it hasn't been mastered, they won't be on the album version of course:]

actually I'm REALLY heavily influenced by videogames, that's usually what I call it, but some of it has elements of trance. The album cover's all xbox colors, and I even have an 8-bit song for the album.

actually here's a mockup cover, not the official one:

The final one will look alot liek it though, cept it'll ahve a background, and a different font.

The label should be paying someone to do mastering, they'll play with panning and stuff. It makes my job a lot easier, cuz all I got to do is create and organize.
Last edited by stratkat at Sep 11, 2010,
Go with the new one. Just sounds like it's been produced better. I would bring the kick up some. Or at least give it a "liquid" feel. I can't quite describe what I'm trying to say. I think you get it though.
stratkat,
I would ditch the intro robot vocals, they are annoying...OK, I guess you will. I like the synths! When you say bass, do you mean the bass drum or the bass synth? Or both? On the newer one the bass drum sounds snappier, but I feel it's too loud initially. But I know that many people that are into this type of music like a loud pounding bass drum, but it quickly gets on my nerves. Overall, I think it sounds good! Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1356300
Quote by nightwindelf88
Go with the new one. Just sounds like it's been produced better. I would bring the kick up some. Or at least give it a "liquid" feel. I can't quite describe what I'm trying to say. I think you get it though.

yea I get what you're saying:]
I don't have a huge selection of kicks though
thanks.
Quote by aaron aardvark
stratkat,
I would ditch the intro robot vocals, they are annoying...OK, I guess you will. I like the synths! When you say bass, do you mean the bass drum or the bass synth? Or both? On the newer one the bass drum sounds snappier, but I feel it's too loud initially. But I know that many people that are into this type of music like a loud pounding bass drum, but it quickly gets on my nerves. Overall, I think it sounds good! Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1356300

The intro vocals are supposed to be annoying, I can't distribute full tracks without 'em and let people here my stuff for free, my label might get mad, adn they oculd probably drop or sue me.

The bass drums are about the same in each, maybe volumed a lil dif, bass synth was what I was talking about.

Last edited by stratkat at Sep 12, 2010,
hey man!

the robot vocals are alright if you ask me, they kinda work.
First things first, the bass drum. Its quite weak, needs a bit more meet, maybe layer a kick sample with more lower end? The bass on the second is definitely an improvement in my eyes, ties the whole thing together much more nicely, keeps it flowing too. On the main theme lead section, I can't help but feel as though something is missing, I think an extra layer to add something more would benefit this piece greatly. The lead itself is sweet though and has a nice tone. The snare isn't to my taste, id prefer something with a little more high end crack, that's just me though.

Im not sure how you've mastered it, or if you have, but it could be so much hotter if its done right. And I also agree about the suggestion to screw with stereo imaging, itll add more depth. My only other suggestion would be to introduce new instruments and elements throughout to keep it fresh.

Its a nice little dance track though! Totally digging the video game vibe.

C4C? its kinda an electronic track too.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1360803

(ps. the second mix is better to answer your question
Quote by Aaron!!
hey man!

the robot vocals are alright if you ask me, they kinda work.
First things first, the bass drum. Its quite weak, needs a bit more meet, maybe layer a kick sample with more lower end? The bass on the second is definitely an improvement in my eyes, ties the whole thing together much more nicely, keeps it flowing too. On the main theme lead section, I can't help but feel as though something is missing, I think an extra layer to add something more would benefit this piece greatly. The lead itself is sweet though and has a nice tone. The snare isn't to my taste, id prefer something with a little more high end crack, that's just me though.

Im not sure how you've mastered it, or if you have, but it could be so much hotter if its done right. And I also agree about the suggestion to screw with stereo imaging, itll add more depth. My only other suggestion would be to introduce new instruments and elements throughout to keep it fresh.

Its a nice little dance track though! Totally digging the video game vibe.

C4C? its kinda an electronic track too.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1360803

(ps. the second mix is better to answer your question

Thank you:]

but like I said it's a demo, it's meant to be far from the final version, and it's not rendered at the highest quality. The robot voice will be done away with completely in the final versoin, if I was gonna keep it I'd probably just vocode my voice and re-do it.

The company's getting someone who knows what they're doing to master it, gravey, he's got a music degree, and doesn't afraid of anything.