Improved speed? Or tone? How exactly is it more desirable than a regular not-so-pointy pick?
i like how they feel and make my playing more articulate but really its personal preference
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Different picks will get you slightly different tones. The thinner ones in my experience are more suited for strumming because they make a certain sound when leaving the string that I don't like to hear when picking individual notes. Thicker picks are easier to play faster with because they aren't flimsy. Pointier ones grab the string more than rounded ones. It's all about personal preference. I use both medium-hard fender picks and dunlop Jazz III's.
Quote by Tsucchi
Because nothing is sexier than a man with a mouth full of crayons.

Cool.
I find their shape and size make pinch harmonics and alt picking easier. Also I just prefer the feel of small thick sharp pointy picks.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Jazz picks are essentially designed for precision, meaning they allow you to use precise strikes on the string. So, if you need to play fast, you use a Jazz pick. Or if you need to play your notes articulately, you use a Jazz pick. I don't strum...well, at all. So, it's better for me to use a Jazz pick.
It puts the point where you want it exactly, and the the thicker design makes notes ring louder.
the only disadvantage i've noticed to using pointy small picks is that it makes strumming big chords a little harder. but even then you can practice to the point where it feels natural. the thickness is a preference thing that affects feel and tone.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by justinb904
I just prefer the feel of small thick sharp pointy picks.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

in other news...

WOOHOO!!! 2000th post! Look at the size of my UG wang! it's so much bigger than those with fewer than 2000 posts!!!

I've never been able to comfortably hold a regular pick the "right" way. When I finally started using Jazz IIIs, I was able to hold the pick without it getting caught on the strings and not feeling awkward (I'd always used the edge of the pick and not the tip). They improved my palm muted tripplets signifantly and just overall made me a cleaner player.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i personally prefer jazz picks because they improve speed for me, but i like to wear the pick down alot, brand new picks arnt very easy to use to me.
I find they feel alot better, fit my fingers so to speak. I always held my picks as close to the tip as possible, so when I found jazz picks I switched right away. They also have better attack than standard picks in my opinion.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Jacobrivers8
i personally prefer jazz picks because they improve speed for me, but i like to wear the pick down alot, brand new picks arnt very easy to use to me.

i feel this way too! fresh jazz IIIs seem to catch onto strings especially hard. but after a bit of heavy handed playing, they're the best picks i could ask for.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
A thing you need to learn as soon as possible is that everything that has to do with being a guitarist, or a musician really, is subjective.

With that in mind, ask again "How exactly is it more desirable than a regular not-so-pointy pick?". The answer should come clearly to you. It's not necessarily more desirable. Many players use Jazz III's exclusively, and won't use anything else - just as many refuse to use them.

So instead of asking why they're better, you should try them and figure out for yourself if they're better for you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm not a huge fan of Jazz III's. They're just TOO thick. I play much better with a .60mm Tortex. HOWEVER -- I use Jazz III's 90% of the time because the damn things never wear out. I've had the same one going strong for almost a year, while the Tortex's wear out after one or two shows.
I pretty much agree with everone but ill just say once I started using Jazz III's, I couldn't use regular picks anymore. They are worth the change if you play a lot of fast picking stuff, but there actualy is kind of a difference in tone. For better and worse depending on what your playing.
Quote by drewfromutah
I'm not a huge fan of Jazz III's. They're just TOO thick. I play much better with a .60mm Tortex. HOWEVER -- I use Jazz III's 90% of the time because the damn things never wear out. I've had the same one going strong for almost a year, while the Tortex's wear out after one or two shows.

man I've had my tortex jazz for quite a few months, I shred it up every day, and it's still not worn out.