I really need a new amp and I want it to be good with distortion. Now this doesn't mean it has to have gain, it just means that it must react well with distortion pedals. i'm looking to spend under $400 on the amp (amp only, not pedal). I'm not gonna be gigging or rehearsing so i'd like to keep the wattage under or around 30. Also no 5 watt portable amps.

Also, I will consider used gear.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Get the Jet City combo. $399 for a great 20 watt tube amp that you can plug a distortion pedal into.
the peavy vypyr is great with distortion, idk how it handles pedals, but the its got analog distortion that sounds great, and the 30 watt version is around $200
Quote by Stryker125
the peavy vypyr is great with distortion, idk how it handles pedals, but the its got analog distortion that sounds great, and the 30 watt version is around $200

I prefer not to get another modeling amp because they aren't as responsive, I don't know about the vyper in particular but with my line 6, coil splitting a humbucker doesn't change the tone at all

Quote by jpnyc
Get the Jet City combo. $399 for a great 20 watt tube amp that you can plug a distortion pedal into.

Do you know any artists who use this amp? I want to know what its capable of before I buy it.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Last edited by OliOsbourne at Sep 11, 2010,
30 watts tube or solid state? 30 watts tube amps can well go loud enough for small to medium gigs with out a mic. I never have to turn past 6 on mine. I would just get a 30 watt tube amp so that in case you ever gig or rehearse. Try to get a used peavey classic 30
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by Felgate
can anyone tell me how i get a tone similar to what avril lavigne uses in skater boy please?
Quote by OliOsbourne

Do you know any artists who use this amp? I want to know what its capable of before I buy it.

None that I know of but they are very new. The JCA 20 is basically a chinese production version of the Soldano Atomic 16. There are a handful of people around here who have them.

Jet City thread

JCA20 clip
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by OliOsbourne
I prefer not to get another modeling amp because they aren't as responsive, I don't know about the vyper in particular but with my line 6, coil splitting a humbucker doesn't change the tone at all

OK... No artists use a JCA20, but go try it out before you buy it. It's kind of a love/hate thing. I can't stand it, but some people love it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by justinb904
None that I know of but they are very new. The JCA 20 is basically a chinese production version of the Soldano Atomic 16. There are a handful of people around here who have them.

Jet City thread

JCA20 clip

That clip is awesome!!! What pedal(s) are you using if any?

BTW: That "B" at the end of your username better not stand for bieber
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by oneblackened
OK... No artists use a JCA20, but go try it out before you buy it. It's kind of a love/hate thing. I can't stand it, but some people love it.

I don't think the guitar center or any of the music stores near me have one
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
I really need a new amp and I want it to be good with distortion. Now this doesn't mean it has to have gain, it just means that it must react well with distortion pedals. i'm looking to spend under $400 on the amp (amp only, not pedal). I'm not gonna be gigging or rehearsing so i'd like to keep the wattage under or around 30. Also no 5 watt portable amps.

Also, I will consider used gear.

Peavey classic goes well with pedals. And they are used by professional artists. From what I saw, alot of them are country musicians. I haven't played a whole lot of amps with great cleans, but from my experience with it I would have to agree that the clean channel sounds quite nice on the classics.
Quote by OliOsbourne
That clip is awesome!!! What pedal(s) are you using if any?

that's not my clip, that's MatrixClaw but I believe it just his guitar going into the amp then to an awesome cab. It wont sound quite that good with the stock speaker. That clip should show you what it's capable of though, plus it's the first one I could find .

here's the guitar world review to give you a better idea of what it would sound like stock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdI7GuVOXCU&feature=player_embedded

A used Classic 30 and a boost pedal might also be a good choice
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Sep 11, 2010,
I'll probably go with the jet city mainly because I don't want to buy a used tube amp.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
I'll probably go with the jet city mainly because I don't want to buy a used tube amp.

And why not?>
because the tubes may be in bad condition
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne

Then replace them.
Tubes that come with cheap tube amps probably could use replacing too
Quote by OliOsbourne

Tubes could just as easily be bad in a new amp. It happens all the time.

Also, why not just save for a real distortion amp? Pedals will only take you so far - no pedal that I know of can emulate real tube distortion.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

Also, why not just save for a real distortion amp? Pedals will only take you so far - no pedal that I know of can emulate real tube distortion.

Wampler Pinnacle and Triple Wreck would beg to differ with you.

If you primarily plan on using distortion pedals, OP, I wouldn't recommend the Jet City - it's a very gainy amp on its own. Instead I'd go for something like the Bugera V22.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Offworld92

like what?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
like what?

Depends. What do you want to sound like? How much can you see yourself realistically spending?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Depends. What do you want to sound like? How much can you see yourself realistically spending?

I don't see myself spending more than $400.
Some of the music I like to play is metallica stuff and some shred like vai and paul gilbert.

Also, I want a distortion pedal because I have more options as to what the distortion will sound like instead of just cranking up the gain on an amp until I get the amount I need.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Last edited by OliOsbourne at Sep 12, 2010,
Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't see myself spending more than $400.
Some of the music I like to play is metallica stuff and some shred like vai and paul gilbert.

Also, I want a distortion pedal because I have more options as to what the distortion will sound like instead of just cranking up the gain on an amp until I get the amount I need.

Well if you're sure of what you want, then I won't try to dissuade you. It'd be hard to find a good amp that low anyway. $500 maybe, but if $400 is your limit...

Actually, on second thought, you could score a Peavey ValveKing 112 for $200, and then use the other $200 for new tubes and speakers. It has the right amount of gain for Metallica.

If nothing else, you can get a general feel for it on Youtube, and see how it strikes you. If you have any specific questions I can help you since I own one.

If the VK isn't your cup of tea though, the DSL the user above me mentioned would be a good choice as well.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
could you post some links because I can't find the amps on google
what I meant by spending under 400 was that right now, thats the amount i'm willing to spend but I could save up for something better
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Well that's what I meant. Let me reword it: How much are you willing to save up?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well, probly not more than $600 but that'll take a while and I want an amp asap because line6 sucks balls
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
Well, probly not more than $600 but that'll take a while and I want an amp asap because line6 sucks balls

$600, metal: 6505+ 112.

/thread
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.