So I just got my Ds-2 in the mail. It was between the big muff pi and ds-2, and ds-2 won for what ive seen in the way of versatility. BUT. Now that I got my ds-2, Im a somewhat disappointed. Well, it isnt what I hoped for. I was hoping for a full, warm distortion, which is what I heard in alot of demos, but mine is harsh and crunchy. Part of the issue im sure is my tiny practice amp im trying it on though. Now Im debating whether or not I return it, and perhaps get the big muff... Or should I hold on to it, try to make the best of it? I mean, I get its use, and I have no doubt that it will come in handy at some point... but what do you guys think? I know its ultimately my decision, but im just interested in knowing what someone else might do.
Running a good pedal through a crap amp will sound bad, so a big muff probably wouldn't sound much better at all. Save it until you get a good amp, which will let it shine.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
The tiny practice amp would be one issue, but what settings do you have your DS-2 on? I have one as well, and I always have it on the DS-1 setting, as it's a lot warmer than the turbo setting (I'm considering trading for a real DS-1). I get a warm sound out of mine, but I have the volume maxed with a small bit of gain to get some overdrive from the amp. Give it a shot, see what happens, can't hurt!
Rokeman: Wow, I didnt expect the level knob to affect it that much... I guess thats what I get to being new to distortion pedals... Still pretty rough, but Ill have to try it a bigger amp i guess. So I know this is a noobish question, but what exactly will the level knob do for you? Ive always used it (on my overdrive at least) to even out my pedal with my clean tone so there isnt a big jump when I turn it on or off...
Quote by AlskiOverload
Rokeman: Wow, I didnt expect the level knob to affect it that much... I guess thats what I get to being new to distortion pedals... Still pretty rough, but Ill have to try it a bigger amp i guess. So I know this is a noobish question, but what exactly will the level knob do for you? Ive always used it (on my overdrive at least) to even out my pedal with my clean tone so there isnt a big jump when I turn it on or off...

Well, the level knob is used to adjust the volume, but I've found with this pedal - like you did just now - its volume will affect its tone. Actually, it's like that with lots of things like when amps get overdriven - it depends on how big a signal you're putting in. In my setup though, I use it as an overdrive pedal so when I want to do some lead it gives me a volume and gain boost as well as the overdriven sound! Or sometimes I crank the volume on it and the gain and my amp's gain for a heavy sound, and to get a cleaner sound I turn the pedal off and turn down the guitar volume a bit.

That's just my personal uses though, you have to work out if it'll be right for you. Also, you mentioned wanting a Big Muff: those things have a very different sound, as they're a fuzz pedal! But also awesome. Depends what you play, really!

Oh yes, do you have it on the DS-1 or Turbo setting?
Quote by Darkflame
if you ask me, the big muff is a thousand times better than the ds-2...

This, Muffs are ****ing sweet
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Thanks Rokeman. Ive been trying it out on both settings, both are pretty cool, Ive yet to see exactly how Ill use each :P.

Big Muff is definitely next on my list. My issue with the big muff is I LOVE the tone, but I had to decide for versatility unfortunately. Ive yet to see if my DS is the best choice, but I think Im gonna stick with it, I know it will come in handy at some point. But Big Muff with Tone Wicker, definitely next on my list. Maybe a new amp after that :P.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
New amp.
They'll both sound crap through a tiny little practice amp.

a new amp is more expensive than a pedal, and not everyone wants to spend hundreds of $

if TS just wants a decent practicing tone and wants to have fun with a pedal, why couldn't he?
Quote by Darkflame
a new amp is more expensive than a pedal, and not everyone wants to spend hundreds of $

if TS just wants a decent practicing tone and wants to have fun with a pedal, why couldn't he?

he can but he's asking why his doesnt sound good

i have to admit that with the DS-2 only certain settings sound good but i personally prefer it to how the big muff sounds

the ds-2 is a good pedal

what is the rest of your gear?
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
This, Muffs are ****ing sweet

I'm tempted to sig this.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
No worries, just keep playing with the pedal to get tones you like. But as everyone else is saying, it'll sound a lot different - and better! - through a higher quality amp. Maybe consider it an investment for now. I'd defs recommend getting the amp before any more pedals though, it'll do great things for your base tone. You might even find the pedals you want change depending on how your amp sounds!