So, I've been thinking this over for awhile, ever since I got my HT-5.

I really got the tone I wanted, so my sound is great (To me).

I've had my Ibanez RG2EX2 and Schecter C-1 Elite for awhile now, and I really do like both equally, in their own ways.

The Schecter has a great set-neck, Grover tuners, looks amazing, has coil-tapable pickups and has a pretty "dark" tone (If you will.) and I've been using it for heavy de-tuned stuff. Mostly C# standard/dropped B tuning. I also take it to C standard, and up to dropped C. It suits it alright

The Ibanez has a nice neck, it's thin, easy to maneuver around, but it's also quite wide. The pickups are halfway decent, and the tone is a little "brighter" I guess you could say. This guitar also has coil-tapping, in it's 5-way selector switch. I use this for standard, dropped D, and dropped C# tuning.

Both guitars have a 25.5" scale, so I'm for sure going to stick with that. I absolutely like it more than a 24.75" scale.

I could go with set-neck or bolt on (As long as it's quality, my Ibanez's bolt-on is pretty decent). I can't really tell a difference in sustain, to be honest. Both seem decent (On my guitars).

I'm open to all woods, and fretboards. I've only owned guitars with rosewood, but I've played maple and ebony and both seem fine to me, as well. No really difference in my eyes.

Onto the pickups, I really don't care about actives vs. passives. I'm not a big fan of the generic EMG 81/85 combo. I really just don't like them that much. I have never actually owned a guitar with active EMG's (Or any other active pickups) but from the many I've played, I don't see what the hype is about them.
The pickups I would have just need to be able to handle gain well. Since I already have two guitars equipped with coil-tapping, another isn't needed. I also dabble in a lot of clean stuff, nothing specific I play, I just fool around with my Arion delay and play whatever. I like it.

ALSO, I've been contemplating going into an extended range guitar. Either a 7 or an 8 string. The 8 seems a bit like over-kill, but it'd be awesome to learn some Meshuggah, or just chug away with the added low end

TL;DR

Soon enough I'm going to invest into a new guitar. Unless something amazing pops up on Craigslist, I'm going to actually buy new for the first time, ever. (I will be ordering online, not buying in store).

Budget: This isn't set in stone. I have a few things I'm trying to sell (My Crate V50, a crappy Ibanez GIO GRG I got from my half-brother, a Boss DS-1.. And soon I'll be selling my junker of a car when I get a "new" used one). I should say it could be up to maybe $500 USD. I realize this isn't a lot, but it's what I will work with.

Scale: 25.5" (Or higher if I actually choose to go with a 7 or 8 string)

Wood: Honestly doesn't matter to me.

Pickups: I'll go with anything, though I am NOT a fan of EMG 81/85 combo.. But then again I've never owned one and have minimal experience with it.

What I play: I play a mix of most things metal, from Lamb of God to Mastodon and BTBAM, but I do love my cleans, especially delay.

Construction: Set-neck or bolt-on, doesn't matter too much. I don't suspect I would get a neck-thru with my budget. But honestly doesn't matter a lot to me. I like both.

Trem/Hardtail: MUST be a hardtail guitar. No tremolo. Cannot stand them. I change tunings too much.

So there ya have it, I've been thinking a lot about what I would get next for my gear. I have the tone I want with my current gear [Look in my sig for everything I currently use], and I do enjoy my two guitars but it's time for something new. Plus I love new guitars..

Suggest me anything that fits into the requirements I stated above. I am not too picky, I do not care about brand name or anything. Offer 7 strings, 8's, whatever. I'm open to any and all suggestions. So UG, hit me up.
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by Felgate
can anyone tell me how i get a tone similar to what avril lavigne uses in skater boy please?
Quote by thisismyacc

A 7-String Tele Copy= Dividing by Zero

OK, fine, ill post a real post. I suggest a PRS SE Custom 24, I know its a trem, but it might be easier to work with. Or.....http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Custom-106070139-i1168180.gc
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Last edited by NosralTserrof at Sep 11, 2010,
I didn't even think of Rondo for 7's, stupid me.. Absolutely gonna look those over.

EDIT: How well will a 25.5" scale work with a 7-string? I mean, that's the scale I use on my SIX string guitars, the low B will feel a little floppy, won't it? Especially if I decide to take that and drop-tune it at all?
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Sep 11, 2010,
so you already have two guitars that work right? why not wait until you can afford one that would be a BIG step up instead of spending more money on one that wont be a whole lot better? there's no point in having a lot of guitars if they dont give you the sound you're looking for.

just hang tight with your money until you get a bit more then buy one guitar that will give you the sound/feel/look you're looking for.
Quote by sandyman323
so you already have two guitars that work right? why not wait until you can afford one that would be a BIG step up instead of spending more money on one that wont be a whole lot better? there's no point in having a lot of guitars if they dont give you the sound you're looking for.

just hang tight with your money until you get a bit more then buy one guitar that will give you the sound/feel/look you're looking for.

Oh I've absolutely thought this over, it's been on my mind the past week or so, and that's why I added that I could be in the market for an ERG, it's not like I can make my six-string do what a 7 or 8 can

In all seriousness though, a 6 is really the last thing I'm considering. While a 7 string wouldn't be an "Upgrade" at all, it would open more possibilities with my playing. I have wanted a 7 for quite awhile, but I've also thought over 8 strings because I would have all a 7 would, plus more. I don't know, I'm honestly not sure what I want to do. This thread is hypothetical, all for the future, not now. No hasty decisions.

I do not have a regular source of income just yet, I'm 18, got my GED a few months back after dropping out [Don't start a debate over this, long story], and am currently searching for my first ever job. My income that I get is me selling/trading gear and such.

EDIT: ^ The Les Paul is a no-go, with the 24.75" scale. It's not because it's an Epiphone, just the scale length, and I've never really been fond of LP's anyway.
But on the other hand, I do absolutely love the PRS SE guitars. I almost bought an SE custom 24 before they discontinued them (and subsequently replaced with the anniversary model, too expensive..) I really wish I had, but back then I had a sh*tty practice amp and the only reason I considered a guitar before the amp was because it was cheap, great quality, and was getting discontinued. But oh well.. There's always Craigslist.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by sandyman323

Agreed.

Just don't overdo it like my brother and buy a $4000 custom that makes it impossible to play any other guitar without hating it

e: In that situation, I'd just get a cheap Agile 7. 8 strings are a huge switch and if you don't like it it's a lot of hassle to change back and stuff.
Last edited by Hail at Sep 11, 2010,
Oh never in my life will I spend over a grand on a guitar.. $500 is pushing it for me
Yeah I'm considering just going with an Agile 7-string, but of course like I said this isn't happening for awhile, probably early next year or so. I have other things to worry about first.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I didn't even think of Rondo for 7's, stupid me.. Absolutely gonna look those over.

EDIT: How well will a 25.5" scale work with a 7-string? I mean, that's the scale I use on my SIX string guitars, the low B will feel a little floppy, won't it? Especially if I decide to take that and drop-tune it at all?

It works well enough for me and I have my 7th string down to a low G.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It works well enough for me and I have my 7th string down to a low G.

What gauge strings are you using for this? I don't know how the gauges go when it comes to seven strings, but of course I'll end up looking it up and learning more about it.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
What gauge strings are you using for this? I don't know how the gauges go when it comes to seven strings, but of course I'll end up looking it up and learning more about it.

Well... ok, just thinking a sec, I'm tuned to GDGCFAD and I'm using... a standard set of Ernie Ball 10s for the top 6 (10 - 13 - 17 - 26 - 36 - 46) and then for the low G I'm using a 60 which I had to buy seperate. Even in standard tuning I find the normal 7 string sets that various companies sell too floppy for the lower strings.

That being said I do know I'm a little out-of-the ordinary, I do like my lower strings a little more floppy than most people so take what I say with a pinch of salt.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.