Hey UG, while my grandparents were over the other day, they asked me to play a song for them. I couldn't think of a single song I knew they would like, but then I remembered the Godfather theme, and played a little bit of that, and I guess that got me by. The thing is, I want to learn a good song that they would really enjoy. My grandma is 70, and my grandpa is 73, so I want something that would really impress people from that generation. What songs do you guys think would be a good song to play for them? As reference for difficulty, I can (sort of) play "Hellhounds on my Trail" by Children of Bodom all the way through. Thanks for the help guys!
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Sunny by Bobby Hebb
What a Wonderful World by Louise Armstrong..
Few beatles tracks like, here comes the sun
Quote by supersac
well they were alive during beatle mania
id say thats a good start

Sounds good. What are some pretty technical Beatles songs?
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

Why does it have to be technical? I'd imagine your grandparents would be just as happy to hear a simple chord strummy song as they would some Beatles shredfest...
Quote by deimachy
Why does it have to be technical? I'd imagine your grandparents would be just as happy to hear a simple chord strummy song as they would some Beatles shredfest...

Why? Because I enjoy technical music. I don't really care for simple chord strummy songs at all. It's a matter of preference. With a technical song, there's a little bit of challenge to it, and I'm actually getting engaged in the music, as opposed to just strumming some boring chords out
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

That's true. If I played shredding or super fast stuff for my grandparents, they'd walk straight to their refrigerator and grab all the tomatos they could carry to huck at me. Not that I can shred or even want to, but that's besides the point. :P

Keep it simple, in my opinion. That's why I linked the video I did. Play something really old, I bet their eyes would light right up if they heard their grandkid take the time to learn and play them something that they may have danced to in high school

Besides, no one says you can't play something really old and still throw in your own improvs.
Last edited by Rvn at Sep 12, 2010,
Try Norweigan Wood by the Beatles. Might not be super technical but it has a beautiful melody and great lyrics. Also, Something, the George Harrison Ballad, has some great chord changes as well as a cool solo.

Also, you can try Twilight Time by the Platters, good old tune from the 50s.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
You really want something technical?
Learn some Chet Atkins.

I think he even did some Beatles arrangements.
Dear Prudence has a nice fingerpicking going on that's sure to get you going.
We were talking about the love we could all share when we find it, to try our best to hold it there with our love, with our love, we could save the world if they only knew.
Quote by Sir Anonymous
You really want something technical?
Learn some Chet Atkins.

I think he even did some Beatles arrangements.

Chet all the way; the guy's a monster.

And if you want technical, why not some percussive acoustic playing like Neon by John Mayer or some Erik Mongrain?

Also, keep in mind simple songs can be ''technical'' if you work on arrangements and dynamic and expressive contrast; it's all well and good to shred or play straight 16th passages with little to no dynamic contrast, but including those expressive techniques in your repertoire is much more effective a lot of the time.
music is music even if it is just boring chords. its cool if you sing too.

or if you really want, then make an acoustic fingerpicking rendition of yesterday by the beatles.
King of the Road.
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...
Quote by simpleben09
Why? Because I enjoy technical music. I don't really care for simple chord strummy songs at all. It's a matter of preference. With a technical song, there's a little bit of challenge to it, and I'm actually getting engaged in the music, as opposed to just strumming some boring chords out

Unfortunately your grandparents probably won't so play something for THEM, not for yourself.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
How about Turkish March or Kanon (canon, whatever). They will at least know the melody, and will be all like "awwww, little ben-san is a good guitarist". And then pull out the metal and plow their skulls away with teh riffage!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Well, they were teenagers from the mid 50s to the 60s so the music in that era would be their grooves.

Elvis Presley, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry to name a few.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+