yo guys, so i decided to use my old nylon stringed guitar, which isn't half bad except for the unreasonably high action of the strings, and well, after playing a while, i decided to pick up my electric guitar, and poof, it feels so much easier to use! almost like my fingers are just sldin' through the string of my elec guitar, now, maybe it's all in my head but will it actually benefit me to practice songs with my nylon guitar and THEN play them with my electric guitar? or maybe this has nothing to do with anything guitar playing related?
Quote by DeadSoloist
lol i have all the practice standing up when I used to play guitar hero 24/7 :P

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't care if you're joking or not.

Just no.

Similar to playing on heavier gauges and other handicapping techniques, most people will find doing something the hard way will make it much easier when it goes back to regular electric stuff. It's like switching from really heavy weights over an extended period of time to picking up a 5 pounder.

I wouldn't recommend relying on it for everything, but practicing with your nylon certainly won't hurt your playing.
Though I've never tried this personally, I would think that learning something on the super high action would mess up your muscle memory when you went to the electric. /shrug
yeah go for it i have heavy strings on my acoustic guitar makes the electric so much easier to use
Quote by Rvn
Though I've never tried this personally, I would think that learning something on the super high action would mess up your muscle memory when you went to the electric. /shrug

besides the high action you might have a flat fingerboard and different string spacing.
To be honest dude, this is the way I learn songs. Except I use a steel string acoustic, I find that if I can play it to par on the acoustic, when I go back to the electric it comes very easy. The heavier acoustic steel strings hurt a lot more, and are more difficult to fret than the electric strings.
thanks for the replies, guess, i'll start playing my nylon guitar some more
Quote by DeadSoloist
lol i have all the practice standing up when I used to play guitar hero 24/7 :P

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't care if you're joking or not.

Just no.

It does indeed help. In my personal experience, it helped immensely with my Legato technique. When I first started practicing Legato, there was a week where I practiced it on nothing but a high-action Acoustic. When I got back on Electric, I noticed a huge jump in technical ability. It's a good idea man, I equate it to running with a weight vest on. When you make the switch back to what you normally do, things feel a lot easier.
Quote by shadowz_fall
yo guys, so i decided to use my old nylon stringed guitar, which isn't half bad except for the unreasonably high action of the strings, and well, after playing a while, i decided to pick up my electric guitar, and poof, it feels so much easier to use! almost like my fingers are just sldin' through the string of my elec guitar, now, maybe it's all in my head but will it actually benefit me to practice songs with my nylon guitar and THEN play them with my electric guitar? or maybe this has nothing to do with anything guitar playing related?

YES! Honestly, I practise a lot of solo/lead and other melody stuff on my acoustic guitar, by default. The acoustic guitar is a lot less forgiving to your making mistakes. So, when I can play something flawlessly on the acoustic, I know I will absolutely nail it next time I pick up the electric.
Be careful your muting technique doesn't go out the window. Make sure that if you practice with an acoustic, you also practice the same thing regularly on an electric with clean and OD settings.

If you only play acoustic and you go back to electric with distortion... say hello to excess string noise!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
Be careful your muting technique doesn't go out the window. Make sure that if you practice with an acoustic, you also practice the same thing regularly on an electric with clean and OD settings.

If you only play acoustic and you go back to electric with distortion... say hello to excess string noise!

+1 This is very true