Hey guys, I have a Jackson Warrior WRXT X guitar with basswood body,a Line 6 UberMetal Distortion Pedal and a Marshall MG100DFX 100W. Although i get a good tone on this setup, the pickups don't quite please me. They don't get good harmonics and even the clean sound isnt good. Im looking to replace the pickups, either with an EMG 81/85 combo or a single EMG ALX with ABQ preamp.
Which one should i get?
And im not too good at soldering and dont trust anyone with my guitar, so thats why im looking for EMG solderless designs that needs only one or two solders.
Im looking for a heavy tone like COB and Cannibal Corpse.The cleans should just be bearable
You'd better change your amp. Changing your pickups won't make any difference through that amp, especially active pickups.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Quote by hansolo1106
You'd better change your amp. Changing your pickups won't make any difference through that amp, especially active pickups.

Im really looking for a better sound and specially the harmonics. Id buy an amp along with the pickups. Which amps and pickups would you suggest?Id spend about 500-650$ on the amp
I would first buy the amp, and then you'll see, if you'd still like to change the pickups.
What kind of music do you play?

edit: oh I see, Cannibal Corpse and COB.
Well, in that case a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo would be a good choice.
Or maybe a Jet City JCA2112RC 20W combo with a boost pedal. I heard some sound clips, and it sounds awesome for metal.
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Last edited by hansolo1106 at Sep 12, 2010,
Quote by hansolo1106
I would first buy the amp, and then you'll see, if you'd still like to change the pickups.

I play heavy,thrash,death metal and some rock as well-Metallica,Slayer,Megadeth,COB,Cannibal Corpse,Carcass n stuff.

I dont think that these stock pickups will give the sound i need on any amp.Yeah, they are decent though, but not quite the sound im looking for. So im really looking for new pickups. Also, the harmonics are not quite good on the stocks
Troll harder bro.

Get yourself a Peavey Vvypr Tube 60 or Vox Valvetronix maybe, ANYTHING but an MG...

You can make a beginner guitar sound great through a good amp, but you can't make a good guitar sound good through a terrible amp.
/Basic logic
Quote by devjeetroy
I play heavy,thrash,death metal and some rock as well-Metallica,Slayer,Megadeth,COB,Cannibal Corpse,Carcass n stuff.

I dont think that these stock pickups will give the sound i need on any amp.Yeah, they are decent though, but not quite the sound im looking for. So im really looking for new pickups. Also, the harmonics are not quite good on the stocks

Pickups will do nothing for your sound if you have such a bad amp. You have to understand that you can put whatever you like on shit... it is just still gonna smell like shit
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Troll harder bro.

Get yourself a Peavey Vvypr Tube 60 or Vox Valvetronix maybe, ANYTHING but an MG...

You can make a beginner guitar sound great through a good amp, but you can't make a good guitar sound good through a terrible amp.
/Basic logic

Ohh...This Peavy looks good.They sound samples are nice.Il check up with my dealer. But anyway, is this gonna help my harmonics?i have almost no experience with other amplifiers except a roland cube 60 which sounds almost the same as my marshall
Quote by devjeetroy
Ohh...This Peavy looks good.They sound samples are nice.Il check up with my dealer. But anyway, is this gonna help my harmonics?i have almost no experience with other amplifiers except a roland cube 60 which sounds almost the same as my marshall

Also, bad harmonics could most likely be a result of your playing and not your gear. People can do good sounding whammy bar harmonics on the clean channel
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
Also, bad harmonics could most likely be a result of your playing and not your gear. People can do good sounding whammy bar harmonics on the clean channel

Its most certainly not because of my technique.I can get the harmonics on all strings albiet the first one.But they dont have that thing to them.They sound sorta boring even with a vibrato

And yeah, the higher frets dont have the sustain that i desire.Bends on the 22nd fret arent quite good even when i have the gain on my pedal to full.And i have experimented a lot of settings with both my amp and pedal but to no avail
Quote by devjeetroy
Its most certainly not because of my technique.I can get the harmonics on all strings albiet the first one.But they dont have that thing to them.They sound sorta boring even with a vibrato

put new strings then maybe??
New amp
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by hansolo1106

edit: oh I see, Cannibal Corpse and COB.
Well, in that case a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo would be a good choice.
Or maybe a Jet City JCA2112RC 20W combo with a boost pedal. I heard some sound clips, and it sounds awesome for metal.

iv played the jet city a number of times and find it more of a rock amp. with a boost infront you can get metal but it was quite muddy and noisy. am i doing something wrong with that amp, or am i right?
Quote by CreepingDeath13
iv played the jet city a number of times and find it more of a rock amp. with a boost infront you can get metal but it was quite muddy and noisy. am i doing something wrong with that amp, or am i right?

Check out this thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1336069
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Hey dude, i like your taste in music so im gonna tell you what i would do. Seymore Duncan Blackouts! under 200$ The MG series from marshall is a touch lame, but you can fix that later. I love the warrior body. I was lucky enough to pick up an older WRMG that came with EMG HZ4. I bought a newer JS series as a back up and i plan on putting the HZ4's in it until i get some active pickups. The other guitarist in my band has an esp with emg81/85's and they just don't have the body that the blackouts have. And don't get me wrong i love thrash and i do cut most of my mids. I don't even have to switch to my neck pick up for cleans(which is the point of having an emg85. the 81's suck for clean sounds)
GOOD LUCK!
^Sersly. HZ's in A JS?
even if it's a $800 JS100, Dimarzio D-Activators would be a WAAAAAAAYYYYY better choice.

Quote by devjeetroy
Hey guys, I have a Jackson Warrior WRXT X guitar with basswood body,a Line 6 UberMetal Distortion Pedal and a Marshall MG100DFX 100W. Although i get a good tone on this setup, the pickups don't quite please me.

Prepare the flame shield!
Because you know it's gunna hit you.

EDIT:
Omni=Fail, if he's talking about tone.
Last edited by LolCatGuitar at Sep 18, 2010,
Honestly, active pickups will make you sound even worse through that amp.

Don't beat around the bush. New pickups won't, and never do, solve any problems. Your amp is the piece of your gear holding you back. I can guarantee you that if you run your Jackson through an amp that actually does what you play well, you won't think you need new pickups anymore.

The 6505+ is an excellent choice if you're on a moderate budget. There are better amps, but they tend to cost $2000+. The 6505+ will do what you want more than well enough for it's price.

After you have that, then and only then should you consider new pickups. I'm telling you, you most likely won't need them with that amp though.

Also, I would not recommend a Jet City for metal as heavy as you play. I hate when people say "Oh, this amp sounds amazing boosted!". IMO, if you play primarily a certain genre, you should get an amp who's tone doesn't need to be externally modded to do it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
6505+ 112. There ya go.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The ALX pickups are Alexi Laiho's sig one right? He said in a interview they are not useful for cleans at all, so don't get them if you want cleans

but as everyone has said, an amp will do you much more good, get a 6505+ 112
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro