Page 1 of 2
hey I'm looking for this new lil night train
is it anything good,
I play blues, classic rock, hardrock punk and metal.
Is there any other amp in this price range
Tried one and didn't like it very much. It should handle blues and classic rock well. Maybe hard rock and punk with a boost of some sort. I doubt it would pull off metal.
If you want a small tube amp, look at the Blackstar HT-5, great amp, I'm damn sure it could do all those genres but would need a boost for metal.
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
If you're only spending 300 (USD, I assume? Not everybody lives in the same country, just so you know) there's really no reason to be worry about wattage.
Quote by Headphonehead
yeah but 300 is about my max so its more for less wattage

Firstly, the lil night train is only 2 watts, whereas the ht5 is 5 watts, so its slightly more for 2.5 times the wattage...
What about the HT1? Same price as the lil night train, 1 watt.
Dont worry about wattage. If you need more, you can mic it up. Tone is most important.
Quote by Avedas
Tried one and didn't like it very much. It should handle blues and classic rock well. Maybe hard rock and punk with a boost of some sort. I doubt it would pull off metal.

How have you played one? They arent even out yet are they?

There are no cheap 5 watters that will do metal well.

For everything else it should be okay.
He can't have played one, they were announced last week and get put into production in Jan 2011. I think he means the big Night Train (NT15)

TS You won't get a 5w amp thats good for metal. Try the Marshall Class 5 combo with a boost.
Quote by dacole
That looks awesome. Vox says it sounds good!

They would... It's their amp...
Quote by Dan_5893
He can't have played one, they were announced last week and get put into production in Jan 2011. I think he means the big Night Train (NT15)

TS You won't get a 5w amp thats good for metal. Try the Marshall Class 5 combo with a boost.

That was probably it. My bad, it was a while ago
None of the little amps on the market are good for metal because they’re all mid-gain vintage-voiced amps. On a $300 budget with that range of playing you’d probably do best with a Peavy Vypyr, but if you insist on a cheap tube amp, get a used Valve Junior or Fender Champ and two distortion pedals, one for punk/rock and another for metal.
I've played the bigger Night Train. It's a nice amp. Not what I'd want in a Vox (but I'd want an AC30 to compliment my Twin, so... yeah).

I'm not very well versed in amps of that size but I assure you the Night Train will struggle with proper metal tones on it's own; however, there are petals like the Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff that should allow you to get into decent metal territory that way unless you're looking for ubber scooped tone. Depending on the style of punk or hard rock a nice overdrive might be recommended as well. But if you're looking for an amp that does the spectrum from blues to metal you're probably going to need a petal to help push things one way or the other some of the time.

EDIT: jpnyc beat me to it. Completely right. Probably get a cheaper amp and pick up some external gain options.
Last edited by RadioMuse at Sep 12, 2010,
so can you recommend anything else??? around 300 EUROS
yes i ma talking about EUROS 300 EUROS
Last edited by Headphonehead at Sep 13, 2010,
I'll bet the Marshall Class 5 could do some heavier stuff with an 808 or something similar (Bad Monkey, Maxon, Arion Tubulator, etc).
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Honestly the Class 5 needs a pedal to get good overdrive at low volume anyway. Practice/Studio amps should all have attenuation/power scaling/MV by default. Some of us like to play at 2 AM.
I like the idea of an soldi state amp with al lot of pedals
cus I think the quality would be better than with an modelling amp.
Is this idea right. And what would be best?? thnx
(BTW thanks all for replying i really appreciate it)
Those small wattage amps are cool for about 10 minutes then you will want a real amp. So just get one of the for about the same price as you could get the vox
If your focus is on metal, look for a Line6 Flextone III. They were discontinued this year, but are available for around 300€ on the used market. Ebay's full of them, usually.

If classic rock tones are of high importance, look into a Bugera V22 or a used Laney VC15. Either will need a boost for metal or anything remotely modern sounding.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 16, 2010,
I really have got a sound I like and
I like the sound of punk/hardrock best (some kind of Rise Against sound)
So is there an amp in my range who can do that (maybe with an eq pedal??)
Honestly if your gonna be using alot of Punk/Metal Tones why not go for a decent solid state combo with a distortion pedal of your desire?

I'm sure your not trying to make that tube warmth stick out in your tone, your probably just trying to get a nice dirty sound for some punk goodness.

If that's the case go check out some solid state combos at your local music store and see what intrigues you the most.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by Headphonehead
linqua you made my day!! great when is it out???

ive heard november but im not sure.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
MY problem actually is
I want
-a punk/hardrock sound--> solid state combo amp + pedal
-and a great blues sound---> valve amp
so its kinda hard and maybe even impossible
... who the hell told you you need an ss amp for hard rock? Whoever that was, said person is brain dead and should be ignored in the future. Crunch sounds of all kinds are typically achieved with valve amps.
Quote by TheQuailman
... who the hell told you you need an ss amp for hard rock? Whoever that was, said person is brain dead and should be ignored in the future. Crunch sounds of all kinds are typically achieved with valve amps.

+1
And punk too, the Sex Pistols used a Fender Twin cranked right up and a Marshall JCM on the reunion tour.
The Ramones used Marshall JMP and JCMs.
Modern punk bands use everything from Marshall to Mesa valve amps too.
There may be some punk bands that used SS amps but I can't think of any. Whoever told you that punk is SS is a twit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Headphonehead
SO THATS GREAT!!! I can have a warm valve sound (blues) and hardrock punk sound to??

Absolutely.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
For what it's worth, I still think the Bugera V22 plus a nice pedal for boosting (for example a Digitech Bad Monkey or Boss SD-1 on the cheap, or a Maxon OD808 if you can spend a tad more) would work for you nicely.
Theres no handle (that I can see) on the head of the Lil' Night Train.... There is on the regular Night Train...

Seems like a major flaw... I guess if it has a padded carry case (with a handle) for the head that would be nice... but a handle on the head would be better I think...
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Last edited by Ethanb08 at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by Headphonehead
that was funk monk

Okay wtf dude.

I said for your price range that's probably what's going to make you most happy.

I'm not f***ing claiming that punk is made for SS, because it's totally not. Don't f***ing point fingers at me, because I was giving you a reasonable option.

I could give you the best gear for punk/blues, but if it's not in your budget why the f*** would I blab on about it.

Quote by Cathbard
Whoever told you that punk is SS is a twit.

F*** you dude, for 300 bones what I recommended is good tone for what this kid wants. 300 dollars is what he has, not 3,000.

Quote by Thequailman

Look at his budget and stop flaming. What I recommended was exactly along the lines of what he wanted. Just because you ALL wrongly interpreted my post doesn't make me an idiot. A metalhead with 300 bucks can't get a 6505+ setup with 300 bucks, so you compensate with the best set up possible. That's exactly what I was trying to do with this person. If your trying to have some Punk fun at around 300 bucks would you recommend a tube amp thats going to be very bare at that price range and WILL require more money for pedals or a solid state modeler that will give a player a good idea of tones and possibly extra money for a pedal that can help achieve his punk tone.
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Last edited by Funk Monk at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by TheQuailman
^Shuddup and do some research. He's got way more options than just ss amps with 300€.

read my edit and at some point you should decide to pull that head out of your ass. I was merely trying to be helpful.

Yes punk is a tube heavy genre, now stfu. I provided a solution that wasn't the same damn thing everyone is saying. Is that wrong?

TS, just ride the wings of Thequailman.

As I said, "I'm sure your not trying to make that tube warmth stick out in your tone, your probably just trying to get a nice dirty sound for some punk goodness."

If this is true, why is it so bad that I recommend something like that?
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Last edited by Funk Monk at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by Funk Monk

Look at his budget and stop flaming. What I recommended was exactly along the lines of what he wanted. Just because you ALL wrongly interpreted my post doesn't make me an idiot. A metalhead with 300 bucks can't get a 6505+ setup with 300 bucks, so you compensate with the best set up possible. That's exactly what I was trying to do with this person. If your trying to have some Punk fun at around 300 bucks would you recommend a tube amp thats going to be very bare at that price range and WILL require more money for pedals or a solid state modeler that will give a player a good idea of tones and possibly extra money for a pedal that can help achieve his punk tone.

All worthless unless you recommend a specific model. For example a Line6 Flextone III (or even an older model). Those go for around 300€ on the used market all the time. Oh wait, I already recommended that on the first page. Up yours.

The Bugera V22 will do the styles he mentioned with a boost, and it's tube. Not enough cash? The amp's around 220€-230€ new, leaves plenty of money for a quality boost pedal, wouldn't you say?

Don't even get me started on the used market for tube amps. The worlds your oyster there with a couple hundred bucks.

Now shut your useless trap before I report you for flaming and clogging up the thread with your nonsense.
Quote by Funk Monk

Yes punk is a tube heavy genre, now stfu. I provided a solution that wasn't the same damn thing everyone is saying. Is that wrong?

You didn't provide a solution. A solution would be pointing out a specific amp. You merely acknowledged the existence of ss amps. Whudda thunk?
Quote by Funk Monk

As I said, "I'm sure your not trying to make that tube warmth stick out in your tone, your probably just trying to get a nice dirty sound for some punk goodness."

As Cathbard has pointed out: Most punk tones = tube.
Page 1 of 2