My friend has an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus. We started dorming together now that college started so he left his amp at home. Right now, one of us plays bass while the other person plays guitar on my Peavey Vypyr.

Basically what we were wondering was, if he were to switch the pickups on his Epiphone to Gibson Pickups, would it make a significant difference in tone considering that the Vypyr is a modeling amp?

I know that on Line 6 Spiders, changing pickups pretty much does NOTHING for the tone. In fact, we coil tapped one of my buds PRS guitars, and it sounded exactly the same. Switched to a Strat, it added mids and had more hum. Thats it.

I know the Vypyr is miles ahead of the Line 6 Spider but it's still a modeler. Do pickup upgrades make a big difference in tone on Vypyrs? Wouid it be worth it?

Right now his tone seems a bit too thin and muddy when using high gain, and I've heard compressed Youtube videos with Gibsons that had better tone...so it seems like pickups might make a difference.

Thanks!
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Last edited by Ayses at Sep 12, 2010,
I replaced my Epi SG400 pups with cheap Iron Gear Hot Slags. Huge difference. Iron gear are a great brand, and because your not paying for the name 'Gibson/Duncan' they come at a reasonable price, and for the pickups that you get, its awesome.
Changing stock Epi pups is a deffo must, they are incredibly muddy.
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
It will make a difference, it even makes a difference on spiders i used to own one lol, but its not going to make the amp sound any better or be a huge difference, i awlays tell people to build rigs around a good amp being it is the most important part of your tone, save the money for a good amp then save for everything else high end guitars, pickup changes whatever.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
It will make a small difference, but basically it's not worth it to spend money on new pickups without an amp that will really let the differences in different pickups and guitars shine through.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ So basically you're saying that unless we spring for a better amp than the Vypyr, it's not worth upgrading?
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
yeah with gear there are certain "priorities" for gear. I think its safe to safe an amp is a more important part of your tone than the guitar. Which vypyr do you have? I actually like my vypyr 15 and it doesn't sound muddy with my guitar and coil tapped it sounds great.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
However, your guitar has nailbombs, the OP only has the stock pickups on an epiphone.

I suggest you look into some decent, but cheap pickups to replace the current ones, that should take away the muddiness from the stock sound.
Yeah, that is true but It was still pretty good when I still had two EMG 81s in it, and those are actives going into a solid state. A pickup upgrade couldn't hurt. Make sure to research them thoroughly though. It's just my opinion but some passives sound really lame (obviously). Gibson Burstbucker Pro's are one of them. Try out guitars with different pickups if you can and get a feel for it. Of course it won't be the exact same when you put them into your guitar but it'll give you a general feel.

What kind of music do you play?
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by Ayses
^ So basically you're saying that unless we spring for a better amp than the Vypyr, it's not worth upgrading?

Basically, yeah.

But if that's not an option financially, GFS are a very good choice. I'm getting a pair soon.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by RocknRory
What kind of music do you play?
Nothing too heavy. Led Zeppelin, Tool, RHCP...wow...pretty much everything lighter than thrash metal.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Quote by Offworld92
Basically, yeah.

But if that's not an option financially, GFS are a very good choice. I'm getting a pair soon.

Not really.

For practicing in a dorm, a Vyper is a good option. Swapping the pickups will make a difference, should be a fairly noticeable one too.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Ayses
Nothing too heavy. Led Zeppelin, Tool, RHCP...wow...pretty much everything lighter than thrash metal.

I have no idea what they sound like in person, but a lot of people like the Seymour Duncan Jazz and JB combo. Adam Jones supposedly uses a JB. I love those bands too, RHCP being one of my most listened to bands and I've been into Tool a lot more recently. AJ's tone is so good

I got BK Nailbombs and it suits my style and those bands fairly well but if I wanted to save a lot of money, I probably would've gotten the Jazz and JB.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
+1 to GFS Pickups. Very attractive pricing and they sound great. I replaced my Epiphone G400 pickups with 2 Dream 90s (with the tuxedo pearl white and black trim) and love them.

I also replaced my Seymour Duncan JB in my old S-1 Blackjack with a GFS Vintage '59 and was much happier with the tone.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.