Page 1 of 2
It seems that Greatest Hits albums are typically kind of lame. Some, however, are actually very good and the song selections are perfect. In this thread, we will post those albums.

I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Our Lady Peace's is really good.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
The best of Radiohead, failing that just buy all of their albums.
The Heima compilation is a good insight into Sigur Ros.
Trust in me and fall aswell.
Last edited by moro_sky at Sep 12, 2010,

You could make a compilation with any Pearl Jam songs and it'd still be great.
Last edited by the_hoodster at Sep 12, 2010,
I don't think people should own greatest hits albums. I hate hearing songs out of context.
Queen: Greatest Hits I
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
Pink Floyd:
The Delicate Sound of Thunder
I don't actually own this album nor do I listen to it, but I just love that name...
Quote by The_Casinator
I don't think people should own greatest hits albums. I hate hearing songs out of context.

Well isn't that just dandy.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Well isn't that just dandy.

I wasn't hating. I have nothing against it, it's just my personal preference.
I would rather buy blindly an album for one hit-song. Most of the times I discover some decent off-single tracks on it.
What about the Beatles Anthology 1-3 ? Not really meant as a Greatest Hits Compilation but surely contains all the hits from a whole new point of view (alt. takes, demos, live-versions).

How exactly is a greatest hits album hearing songs out of context?
Rock [James] Roll
Quote by The_Casinator
I wasn't hating. I have nothing against it, it's just my personal preference.

haha, it's all good. I wasn't being serious. However, I do disagree with your opinion. Greatest Hits albums have gotten me into a lot of artists.

Quote by Jiimmyyy

It some music styles, it just doesn't work well to slap random songs together. Like if you were to make a post-metal greatest hits, it just wouldn't work. But in the case of bands like Pearl Jam, I think it does.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by Jiimmyyy

Maybe he meant that a song is part of a cd/album/area of the band and now is mixed with the whole catalogue of that band.
Quote by PrincessJoe
Maybe he meant that a song is part of a cd/album/area of the band and now is mixed with the whole catalogue of that band.

Indeed.

But TS has a point, those albums are good to judge whether you like the band or not.
Why would get The Bands greatest hits? Music From Big Pink and the self-titled are more than worth owning ... and it only has 4 songs from each of them
Quote by lp345
Why would get The Bands greatest hits? Music From Big Pink and the self-titled are more than worth owning ... and it only has 4 songs from each of them

Perhaps I like the other songs too.

All three of the Greatest Hits CDs in that boxset are great. Probably one of my favourite Christmas presents, I got it two years ago and loved it.

I don't think is an official Hendrix release. It's basically a 2CD set of some live songs and rare recordings, released on by 'Black Box'. I picked it up at ASDA three or four years ago. It's a good place to start if you want to listen to Hendrix, it has his well-known hits plus some other cool songs, and costs about £5.
personally i dont like compilation albums of any kind cos they sometimes alter the mix to level out the dynamics and volume of tracks from different albums, and when not done right it can absolutely ruin the sound of some songs.

and furthermore, i like to hear music "as the artist intended", in correct album order so you can capture some of the emotion and the experience of the artist in the studio
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
+1 to Queen, Zep.

A greatest hits album one should NOT get is Guns N' Roses - Greatest Hits. It's compiled and released against the band's (and some ex-members who played on it) will. It's basically a record label cash grab. Furthermore, the tracklist is horrible and it doesn't give a very good picture of the band's music.
Rush - The Spirit Of Radio

Camel - A Compact Compilation

The Doors - The Very Best Of

Patti Smith - LAND

The Carpenters - Love Songs

Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I pirate greatest hits albums, then I buy the individual cd's if I like it. They're like demos to me. I like listening to albums beginning to end. To me, putting a cd in and skipping around is like watching a movie out of order. Or looking at a painting that's been cut up one piece at a time. I know most cd's are just a random collection of songs, but the artists put them in that order for a reason.

But...
Guitar: Fender Strat (SD Hot Rails in bridge, SD lil 59 in neck)
Effects: GUITAR> TU-2>WH-IV>CS-3>OC-2>GCB-95>TS-808> AMP -=- FX Loop: NS-2>CE-5>DD-6>DOD fx-42b
Amp: Marshall DSL50 w/Mercury Magnetics Choke/OT

I'm surpised this one hasn't been posted yet.
Quote by Stormx
I tremble before your enormous penis.
Quote by molala2
and i farted, it was really stink
Quote by italiarlz135
Led Pepplin, you are god because of this thread.
Quote by josh999x, Brick23

Master of Puppets. Pretty much what Metallica's Greatest Hits would look like.
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
Queen's Greatest Hits
THe Greatest Songs ever written...by us - NoFX
Pavement's Greatest hits album

Oh wait, it hasn't happened yet

Also:

That's all I can think of at the minute...

EDIT: oh and RHCP and Guns N' Roses...
This will start a RIOT! in me
I don't really like Greatest Hits albums. If I like a band or artist good enough I'll just buy all their albums eventually. If I don't like em...well, I don't buy their albums.
Quote by Jyrgen
+1 to Queen, Zep.

A greatest hits album one should NOT get is Guns N' Roses - Greatest Hits. It's compiled and released against the band's (and some ex-members who played on it) will. It's basically a record label cash grab. Furthermore, the tracklist is horrible and it doesn't give a very good picture of the band's music.

Guns N Roses Greatest Hits is garbage. There's plenty of good songs on there, but the 3 last songs shouldn't be on there (3 covers). Live and Let Die is even debateable. There are many more songs I can think of that would fit in better, like Estranged or Mr. Brownstone.

Mothership is pretty good, so are the Queen ones. The Beatles greatest hits (red and blue albums) are pretty good must-owns also.
UG's AC/DC Lover

Obviously not a greatest hits album, but I absolutely love every single track on this CD, and there are some songs on here that aren't their most mainstream hits that people should listen to.
Page 1 of 2