Hey, recently i found a piece of American Maple in my dads office, a leftover from a display he worked on for a cafe' and it was the perfect size to cut a body from.
I am thinking of using it to make a jaguar/strat hybrid sort of style guitar, basically a jaguar/jazzmaster shape, but stratocaster (pickups, controls, scale, bridge etc).

My main worry however is that i read maple is a VERY bright sounding tonewood, so coupled with a bright amp like a Vox AC30, would it be too bright for that strat sound? Could i avoid this using a pickup that is more bass and low-mids orientated? As i prefer the deep, SRV style strat tone. I would probably order a neck online too, would it be wise to combine maple body AND neck? because all my other guitars are rosewood, so it might be nice for a change

The wood also feels very heave, but it's currently quite thick, so im sure i would cut a lot off its mass off in the process of building this guitar. Is it common with American Maple to be quite dense?

thanks for any help, like i said, this project may not happen for a while yet, as im a student and im off back to uni soon

You can make a guitar with a frozen pile of shit and will sound as good presuming it works and electronics stay put like in any other guitar.

You're making an electric one, material doesn't matter
Quote by Zeletros

You can make a guitar with a frozen pile of shit and will sound as good presuming it works and electronics stay put like in any other guitar.

You're making an electric one, material doesn't matter

Dude, Seriously?

Im not able to answer your question, TS, But I am able to confirm this guy is an idiot.
IMO SRV gets his tone from him massive string guages.

But about the tone of it, I seem to remember hearing that Leo Fender build the first broadcasters/strats with maple.

(Don't quote me on this)
^ they were pine, though i dont know if maple was ever used.

Maple only gets annoying as a tonewood when used as a semi hollow wood, and played clean. If any distortion is used with this thing at all, you wont be able to hear much of the maple.

So, yes it will sound a tad bright clean, but it will be fine otherwise.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Tone knob ftw?
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Quote by Knurlheim
IMO SRV gets his tone from him massive string guages.

But about the tone of it, I seem to remember hearing that Leo Fender build the first broadcasters/strats with maple.

(Don't quote me on this)

Yeh i found something saying the early G&L guitars were maple bodies

cheers for all the help, im looking forward to starting this project, some time in the future when i have money to spend on electronics and all the other bits i need :S

Thanks!