Hi guys,

Pretty new here so go easy. lol.

Yesterday I went to my local guitar shop to buy new strings to swap out on my les paul standard that had 9-46s on them. It sounded okay for the last year while learning the tuning, but I needed to set up the strings to make it sound great. I decided to try getting this les paul to work before shelling out good coin to get a custom baritone les paul made.

They only had 14-58s super slinky set, so I bought that. Well I strong the guitar up, set string at the bridge, and re-adjusted intonation. The strings do sit pretty high now, but since it’s in drop B tuning I guess that normal.

When plugged in, it sounds great clean, but not to good when distorted. I run the guitar through a boss gt-3 then to the Marshall tsl 100 to a 2x12 cab. I don’t have the space to use the head room of the Marshall, so I use the boss for the distortion. My other guitars sound great through this set-up. But not this one.

I’m thing it might be the pick-ups, they might not be registering the low frequencies properly. They are Seymour Duncan Zebra copies that were changed out. I tired everything from adjusting the low-mid-high frequencies in the eq settings of the gt-3. But then again I have no idea what Hz settings I should be at. I have it sounding okay again, with much better feel to the hands. But it’s still not there if you know what I mean. I would like to try eq settings, then maybe changing pick ups, then last resort getting a custom build baritone. Any help would be great. Thanks

Jonathan
I adjusted the bridge so i didn't get any fret buzz. basicly went to low, then adjusted up, untill it sounded and felt right. I did play with the pick height, but not to sure how to adjust that. I might try lowering the 58 low end, since they is enough low end and see how that goes.
um i'm not sure about that. It was mentioned in other forums that i should try anything even as high as 70 gauge. Other then i ran into a guy once that was using 65 for the low string. I did not know his set-up iether, and i haven't ran into anyone in a whille. The guitar owner/tech was unloading a truck, so i didn't want to bother him with questions, so i thought i;d post here.

but we see what people say here, never know, i'm no expert iether.
Last edited by jonathant83 at Sep 12, 2010,
Couple of things come to mind,

1) Try a tube screamer instead of a distortion pedal

2) Try a heavier gauge strings like a .072 - .011s.

3) What speakers are you using? V30s and GK 100s are always good choices.

4) Also try using more mids on yr amp setting, if you haven't done so already.
Most regular 6-string electric guitar pickups are not meant for handling notes as lot as that B. Most start to muddy up once you go lower than C# so it's not surprising you're having problems. Personally I would never bother trying to go beyond Drop C# without switching to under-wound ceramic humbuckers at the very least. This is why almost every 7-string guitar uses either ceramic passive pickups or active pickups.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Nightgaunt
Couple of things come to mind,

1) Try a tube screamer instead of a distortion pedal

2) Try a heavier gauge strings like a .072 - .011s.

3) What speakers are you using? V30s and GK 100s are always good choices.

4) Also try using more mids on yr amp setting, if you haven't done so already.

1) really do not have acess to a tube screamer,i will check the guitar stores though.
2) Yeah, i know i should have went higher, but they only had the 14s-58s. I;d have to special order them in at 20 bucks a pack.
3) the 1922 cab i'm using came with gt-75, but did put in new gk-100s last year.
4) The mids are maxed out on the marshall, even the mid boost is on.
PRS CE 22 Birds Drop C
LP Custom Drop C
LP Standard
LP Standard Drop B
LP Special II Limited 1/2 Step
Epiphone Prophecy EX
Hamer Slammer H/S/H

Marshall VS102R
Marshall TSL 100, Voodoo Modded, GT 928PR EL84 Tubes
1922 Cab GK-100
Boss GT-3
Quote by MrFlibble
Most regular 6-string electric guitar pickups are not meant for handling notes as lot as that B. Most start to muddy up once you go lower than C# so it's not surprising you're having problems. Personally I would never bother trying to go beyond Drop C# without switching to under-wound ceramic humbuckers at the very least. This is why almost every 7-string guitar uses either ceramic passive pickups or active pickups.

Um I did not know that. I think it might be a mix of out of range pick ups. Your right it just sounds way to muddy.

I have never heard of underwound pick-ups,um any examples???

I have a set of emgs in my prophecy,and they sound great in standard tuning.

Would getting a set of active pickups work.

What do the pros use??? I have seen and heard bands play in drop B with a paul. So i know it's possible. Just need to get it right.

p.s. Adjusting the pick-up heights did not help. adjusting down just gave more low end, with aloss of top end eqs.

thanks for all the help guys.
PRS CE 22 Birds Drop C
LP Custom Drop C
LP Standard
LP Standard Drop B
LP Special II Limited 1/2 Step
Epiphone Prophecy EX
Hamer Slammer H/S/H

Marshall VS102R
Marshall TSL 100, Voodoo Modded, GT 928PR EL84 Tubes
1922 Cab GK-100
Boss GT-3