I play mostly heavy rock and pop-punk and I'm not 100% in love with the VK. Should I give the Blue Voodoo a try? Has anyone tried this amp?
I own one, and they are awesome. I wouldn't trade mine for anything, and if you got a guy willing to trade you for the VK, I'd suggest you wait no longer!

Sound-wise, I would say that the BV-120 is direct competition to the JCM900 100 watt, but with twin reverb and a true bypass effects loop, a power deminsion switch, with is great for running pedals thru the front and not thru the effects loop. Needless to say, this head picks up where the JCM900 falls short. I play my head thru my Marshall TV cab, loladed with 4x12 75 watt celections and the thing just absolutely crushes. The cleans are nice and sparkly to a solid Ac/Dc-like crunch, and the second channel can really peel the pain off the walls if you need it to. The head alone is capable of running a fullstack. and has switchable ohms.
Last edited by charles_ebarb at Sep 12, 2010,
Oh God I'm fukken stoked.

...never mind. parents said no.
Last edited by Helicopters! at Sep 12, 2010,
just do it anyways! the greatest thing about the head is that it has a Master volume, so you can still play it at quiet levels and get the same feel as you would from being cranked up! And the even better part is, if you get into a band, you'll have a dependable, great sounding amp!
Quote by Helicopters!

WHAT.

Tell your parents you'd be doubling what your amp is worth now by trading. Then proceed to cry if they don't give you what you want. If that doesn't work, go for the nads
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Seems like a no-brainer... not sure why the guy wants to trade his BV for a VK, though.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by truespin
Seems like a no-brainer... not sure why the guy wants to trade his BV for a VK, though.

it could be that he wants something smaller. anyways, who cares, it's his screw-up, so if I were you I would be all over this trade like a fat girl on a twinkie!

And worry about the parents later!
DO IT.

Crates are highly underrated and the BV is an incredibly good amplifier. A vast improvement on what you have.
Quote by Helicopters!

wtf do your parents know about amps?
^They just assume that since it's a substantially better amp (and I might be able to get him to throw in a cab) he's ripping me off. I told them that maybe he just doesn't NEED that much amp, but they don't trust anyone.

A recurring question was "what if it's a piece of shit?"
Last edited by Helicopters! at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by GrisKy
wtf do your parents know about amps?

Obviously very little. I'd take a Blue Voodoo over a VK any day.

TS: Get you parents to read this thread.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

TS: Get you parents to read this thread.

see:

Quote by Helicopters!
they don't trust anyone.

I can understand not trusting somebody that has something to gain by the transaction but what have any of us got to gain by it? The reaction has been pretty overwhelmingly in favor of the exchange.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Your parents need to read this thread
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
here's a thought, go try out his amp to make sure it doesn't have a blown transformer or some other serious problems... if it sounds good, do it.
Quote by GrisKy
here's a thought, go try out his amp to make sure it doesn't have a blown transformer or some other serious problems... if it sounds good, do it.

And if your parents have anything to say about you doing the trade, AFTER you have done it, just quote John C. Reiley from the Movie Walk Hard;

"Don't you try to stifle me, I will punch you in the MOUTH!"

LMAO!

Seriously, TS, get your parents to read this post, if no luck, then I strongly suggest you advise them to seek immediate psychiatric threatment for their Paranoia
Here's how you get shit done.

1. Play the amp.

2. If everything works fine and it sounds good to you, make that trade happen.

3. Find a pair of pliers.

4. Pull tooth out.

5. Put tooth under pillow.

6. Wake up screaming like a school girl about what the tooth fairy left for you.

7. Get that missing tooth replaced. You're not Michael Strahan.
Quote by charles_ebarb
And if your parents have anything to say about you doing the trade, AFTER you have done it, just quote John C. Reiley from the Movie Walk Hard;

"Don't you try to stifle me, I will punch you in the MOUTH!"

LMAO!

Seriously, TS, get your parents to read this post, if no luck, then I strongly suggest you advise them to seek immediate psychiatric threatment for their Paranoia

you mean read this Thread. Not your post. Your post doesn't really add any value and you've also managed to diss them
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
you mean read this Thread. Not your post. Your post doesn't really add any value and you've also managed to diss them

3 issues;

1 yes I meant the THREAD not my post.

2. It's called sarcasm.

3, you took me entirely too seriously.
Quote by Ippon
Mr. and Mrs. Helicopters!:

Please ignore the above posts from 14-year olds. These are the same folks who claim you can get balls to the wall tones and extreme reliability from Boojeras.

You're welcome!

Im 19 but i can get a nice tone from my bugera,

and if this is a dig at that tone king twat then i apologise
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
hey guys, not to thread jack or anything, but...

how much would you reasonably pay for a used but good condition blue voodoo 120 head (the silver and black version)?

I have an offer that I'm considering, and I'm looking for a decent ballpark to judge by. The thing's discontinued, so it's damn near impossible to get any reliable resale value numbers. Thanks.
Quote by GrisKy

how much would you reasonably pay for a used but good condition blue voodoo 120 head (the silver and black version)?

I have an offer that I'm considering, and I'm looking for a decent ballpark to judge by. The thing's discontinued, so it's damn near impossible to get any reliable resale value numbers. Thanks.

~$400 or so.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by GrisKy

No more than $300.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
No more than $300.

this is what I was thinking.
got a guy that wants to do my voodoo modded mesa for his BV120 and $2K... comes up a little short of what I was hoping for with the Mesa ($2500 cash in a perfect world, maaaybe $2400 with the current state of the US economy).

Also, you guys ever heard of mixing power tubes in these amps?
he says he's running 6L6 on the inner pair and KT66 in the outers... not sure what type of 6L6's.
yes, KT66s are basically 6L6s, but pV's and w are not the same across the board.
Quote by Helicopters!

I used to have parents like this....Then I punched them in the MOUTH.
Quote by GrisKy
this is what I was thinking.
got a guy that wants to do my voodoo modded mesa for his BV120 and $2K... comes up a little short of what I was hoping for with the Mesa ($2500 cash in a perfect world, maaaybe $2400 with the current state of the US economy).

Also, you guys ever heard of mixing power tubes in these amps?
he says he's running 6L6 on the inner pair and KT66 in the outers... not sure what type of 6L6's.
yes, KT66s are basically 6L6s, but pV's and w are not the same across the board.

I think you're being VERY ambitious thinking you can get $2500 for a Voodoo Modded Recto. That's a REALLY good offer if you ask me.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
No more than $300.

This. My local GC has had a BV half stack sitting around with a $400 price tag.
Quote by Funk Monk
I used to have parents like this....Then I punched them in the MOUTH.

Exactly.
Just take them outside and hit them with a stick a couple of times, they'll do.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by MatrixClaw
I think you're being VERY ambitious thinking you can get $2500 for a Voodoo Modded Recto. That's a REALLY good offer if you ask me.

it's the platinum mod, plus the parallel to series loop mod, $2900 direct from voodoo.
plus it's spent its entire life in a studio. no live gigs. like new cosmetics. perfect working order... you get the idea... ambitious, but not THAT ambitious.
Quote by GrisKy
it's the platinum mod, plus the parallel to series loop mod, $2900 direct from voodoo.
plus it's spent its entire life in a studio. no live gigs. like new cosmetics. perfect working order... you get the idea... ambitious, but not THAT ambitious.

Sure, but the fact that you could buy a used Recto in good shape and send the amp in for those mods and come out well under $2500, is what I'm getting at I'd take a BV-120 and $2000 for it in a heartbeat
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Guitarmiester
Here's how you get shit done.

1. Play the amp.

2. If everything works fine and it sounds good to you, make that trade happen.

3. Find a pair of pliers.

4. Pull tooth out.

5. Put tooth under pillow.

6. Wake up screaming like a school girl about what the tooth fairy left for you.

7. Get that missing tooth replaced. You're not Michael Strahan.

I want to quote this.

TS, get the amp.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals