i am planning to buy lemon oil to clean my guitar fretboard..it is good?.but i dont know which type my guitar fretboard was,how to identify it? someone said if using lemon oil on maple wood will harm guitar neck?!
If your guitar neck is maple, do not use the lemon oil on it. If it's rosewood, then you can use the lemon oil. If the fretboard is really dirty, let the oil soak for a few minutes. You won't need to apply a whole bunch, just enough to wet the fretboard.

Maple fretboards are light colored, almost yellowish. They are frequently varnished.

Rosewood fretboards are very dark, brown or almost black. They are unfinished, raw wood.

Edit: If it's a maple fretboard and it's dirty, use a soft cloth that's been lightly dampened with warm water. That should clean it up nicely.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Sep 12, 2010,
if my guitar fretboard are rosewood can i use other thing to clean it?other than the lemon oil...
anyone can help me identify the type of my guitar fretboard?
sorry for poor image

Last edited by firefire123 at Sep 13, 2010,
it seems that your fret board is either ebony or what seems to be another wood painted, dyed or waxed with black wax to look like ebony.

but that could just be the yellow tinge.
^ Lemon oil.

You can also use a very SLIGHTLY damp towel to give it a really good scrub down. Just keep wiping it with firm pressure on either side of the frets. You'll be surprised how much dirt comes out. Lemon oil after that will condition your fretboard and make it nice.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I have a very informative book by a chap named Dan Erlewine.

If you want to CLEAN your fretboard, then use Naptha (lighter fluid). It will loosen crap so it can be wiped off and won't soak into the fretboard.

Then you can condition it with lemon oil or proper fretboard conditioner.

Don't use lemon oil or any other fretboard conditioner too often...maybe 3 times a year, or you will put too much into the wood and that is as bad as not doing it.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
^ that's for the strings, not the fretboard. I have some at home. it works alright.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
(GHS FAST FRET)string & fret lubricant isnt a cleaner right?if want to clean dirt need to use dunlop lemon oil right?

and someone tell me can using this -----------> to scrape all the dirt..is it works?
Quote by firefire123
(GHS FAST FRET)string & fret lubricant isnt a cleaner right?if want to clean dirt need to use dunlop lemon oil right?

and someone tell me can using this -----------> to scrape all the dirt..is it works?

What you could do, is rather than completely ignore the advice I gave you (considering my advice, is presumed to be good...for the most part)...is actually, read it and perhaps even comment on it

And this type might be safer...

Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by firefire123
where can i get Naptha?

Zippo lighter fluid has that in it. Ronsonal also makes it.
If you have a hardware store near you you can always try there.
I don't use either. I bought a bottle of this stuff which works great:

Also, do go to the frets.com site and learn how to properly clean and condition your fretboard. It's quite simple to do and very inexpensive. I also wouldn't use razor blades on the fretboard for fear of gouging the wood. 000 or 0000 steel wool is the preferred abrasive. You can scrub it with or against the grain, doesn't matter as it's not coarse enough to damage the wood, but it will remove the grunge that's on the surface. It will also polish up the fret wires nicely.
Nothing a little Naphta = "white gas" = "camp fuel" (Coleman camp fuel, Zippo lighter fluid) and a toothbrush can't clean up.
Don't worry about soaking the neck, just wipe dry after cleaning.

Personally, I stay away from anything metal like razor blades and use steel wool only to finish off frets, careful not to rub on the wood.

EBONY: NEVER USE LEMON OIL !
Ebony contains minerals that dissolve when exposed to ***anything*** acid and solvents like some methylated and mineral spirits.

Unlike rosewood, Ebony doesn't need any oily nuturing. But if you want to give the fretboard a satin like feel, a dab of mineral oil on a cloth before applying to the wood won't hurt.

Rosewood is different, and needs a regular application of "mineral oil", once every 1 to 3 years, to seal the wood's porosity and prevent it from drying out and chipping.

Last edited by ColdGin at Sep 20, 2010,
we've owned guitars with rosewood fingerboards for decades without ever using mineral oil. we occasionally - very occasionally - use a tiny bit of lemon oil.

Quote by ColdGin
Rosewood is different, and needs a regular application "mineral oil" to seal the wood's porosity.
Last edited by patticake at Sep 20, 2010,