So I've had this Indonesian Squier Affinity lying around for a while, and I've come to some conclusions:

a) In its current state, it is not worth having: - the tuners won't hold, the nut is burred, the trem is unusable and the p'ups are lacklustre to say the least.
b) The neck is wonderful; no sharp frets and a lovely smooth profile that just gels with my hand, and there's nothing wrong with the body.
c) I therefore don't want to throw it out.

SO: Mod time!

Given that I want to fix it up (I've ordered a Wilkinson bridge, some Wilkinson tuners and a graphtec nut), I feel I may as well go that one step further and do some dastardly things to my old beater.

I've decided I want to shove a couple of p-90s in there, as I adore that p-90 bite, but could do without another H-H gitbox. However, this raises some questions I was hoping you UG chaps would be able to help me out with.

1) Given that the guitar is SSS, and routed appropriately, I'm going to need to do a swimming pool rout.
- Is there a way to do this without an actual router? I MAY be able to get my hands on one, but if I can't, will a hammer and chisel suffice? Bear in mind I'm not going for cleanliness of rout, I just want to fit soapbars.
- When I do get going on the rout, do I need to elongate it in any way to fit soapbars, or will they squeeze in if I 'join' the single coil routs together?

2) If I want to fit soapbar sized p-90s (and I do), I'm going to have to get my hands on an appropriate pickguard. Does anyone know of a place in the UK that supplies them? I don't want to cut my own, and I understand the volume pot hole is too close to the p'up, so widening a HH guard is out of the question. Should I just get Warmoth to do one and get it shipped?

3) Not related to p-90s, but does anyone know what wood Indonesian Affinities are made of? I have a hunch they're agathis, but I keep hearing Alder bandied about.

Cheers!
Last edited by undecisive at Sep 12, 2010,
The affinity series is made of Alder, I can tell you that much. They're arguably the best Squiers made nowadays.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
i've routed a little bit out of a guitar with a drill once never thought of a hammer and chisel. sounds like it'd work though, just be careful not to like go all the way through the body or chisel too much of.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
I've never seen a Strat with P-90's, but I'd like to have one for myself.
That said, I've never seen a strat pickguard spaced for P-90's, but you can always buy a HH pickguard and install some GFS Mean 90's or some P-94's or any other "humbucker-sized P-90's" in it. I'm actually doing that in the near future.
"Terrible wars have been fought where millions have died for one idea, freedom. And it seems that something that means so much to so many people would be worth having." -Andrew Martin (Bicentennial Man)
I've used chisels to make a swimming pool route. It works fine if you have sharp chisels and know how to use them.

There are a few companies online that will cut a custom pickguard for you if you mail them a tracing. You could trace the exterior and screw locations of your old pickguard, then draw in the P-90s and controls where you want them to cut.
Quote by undecisive
So I've had this Indonesian Squier Affinity lying around for a while, and I've come to some conclusions:

a) In its current state, it is not worth having: - the tuners won't hold, the nut is burred, the trem is unusable and the p'ups are lacklustre to say the least.
b) The neck is wonderful; no sharp frets and a lovely smooth profile that just gels with my hand, and there's nothing wrong with the body.
c) I therefore don't want to throw it out.

SO: Mod time!

Given that I want to fix it up (I've ordered a Wilkinson bridge, some Wilkinson tuners and a graphtec nut), I feel I may as well go that one step further and do some dastardly things to my old beater.

I've decided I want to shove a couple of p-90s in there, as I adore that p-90 bite, but could do without another H-H gitbox. However, this raises some questions I was hoping you UG chaps would be able to help me out with.

1) Given that the guitar is SSS, and routed appropriately, I'm going to need to do a swimming pool rout.
- Is there a way to do this without an actual router? I MAY be able to get my hands on one, but if I can't, will a hammer and chisel suffice? Bear in mind I'm not going for cleanliness of rout, I just want to fit soapbars.
- When I do get going on the rout, do I need to elongate it in any way to fit soapbars, or will they squeeze in if I 'join' the single coil routs together?

2) If I want to fit soapbar sized p-90s (and I do), I'm going to have to get my hands on an appropriate pickguard. Does anyone know of a place in the UK that supplies them? I don't want to cut my own, and I understand the volume pot hole is too close to the p'up, so widening a HH guard is out of the question. Should I just get Warmoth to do one and get it shipped?

3) Not related to p-90s, but does anyone know what wood Indonesian Affinities are made of? I have a hunch they're agathis, but I keep hearing Alder bandied about.

Cheers!
It's almost rare to have stock tuners, even on the most inexpensive guitars, to go out of tune, if you do it properly.

Most Squier Affinity Strats already have the almost HSH route; so, a P90 would require miminal work.

Nuts on inexpensive should be replaced anyway, it's a cheap upgrade. The GraphTech will do wonders!

If you go to the Squier website, you'll get confirmation that the Affinity is indeed Alder. This is why the Affinity is such a fun platform.

As far as the bridge, you could snag the MIM Fender Standard Strat from 2007 or later for cheap. It has the heftier trem block.

Also, shield all cavities! http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

As far as the PG, I know Gaz recommends axerus in the UK.

What about refinishing?

Last edited by Ippon at Sep 12, 2010,
Quote by Ippon
It's almost rare to have stock tuners, even on the most inexpensive guitars, to go out of tune, if you do it properly.

Most Squier Affinity Strats already have the almost HSH route; so, a P90 would require miminal work.

Nuts on inexpensive should be replaced anyway, it's a cheap upgrade. The GraphTech will do wonders!

If you go to the Squier website, you'll get confirmation that the Affinity is indeed Alder. This is why the Affinity is such a fun platform.

As far as the bridge, you could snag the MIM Fender Standard Strat from 2007 or later for cheap. It has the heftier trem block.

Also, shield all cavities! http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

What about refinishing?

Thanks for the advice; I guess the new tuners will be an aesthetic thing only, then!

And I'm not entirely sure; the Affinity I have doesn't have a jumbo headstock; the only one with a pre-CBS headstock is out of a 'stop dreaming start playing' kit, and it's supposed to be Agathis. I haven't the foggiest where mine came from, so for now I'll assume it's Agathis, which is a slight disappointment.

I've decided to back out on the p90 idea; the whole thing is too much of a kerfuffle when realistically, I just want a playable single coil guitar. As such I've ordered a set of Tonerider vintage plus SCs.

I've ordered some closed face p'up covers in white, and I'm going for a reverse tuxedo look, but I'm considering my options for the clear coat; how difficult would a nitro finish be to apply vs a normal poly coat? If I were to rub down the poly with steel wool, could I get a similar-ish effect?
Soooo.... You're going for something like this?

http://www.rondomusic.net/photos/electric/hawkashp90mn3ts5.jpg

If that's so then i think it's an AWESOME idea hehehe.

Oh yeah, the tuners hold better if you put the strings like the pic above, but having some decent-er quality ones will help even MOAR. Change the nut and you don't have to change the whole trem. (unless it's in an super unusable state) just the saddles would be good, but also changing the block would be good :x

Just change the whole trem lol
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Ippon

WDMusic usually actually...

Axtec for Irongear Pups (very nice soap bars).

I wouldn't touch Nitro with a barge pole...it simply isn't worth unless you have a decent instrument and want a vintage look...and even then I would have reservations.

Scuff the poly with with dry P240. Prime twice with P240 between, guide coat it, fill dents with Isopon P38...prime any filled areas, then prime right over...wet sand with P600 on a block...wash it.... 3 colour coats....clear it...wet sand with P800...clear some more...more wet sanding...more clear...final wet sand start with P1500 wet, then up to P2500 if you can get it...then buff with Megiuars Scratch X 2.0, then Swirl X, then polish it then wax it a month later (after putting more polish on)

Use to do hair, put makeup on, squeeze zits, look up bumhole etc.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Sep 13, 2010,
I don't know if it will fit, but if you're in the UK I have a Earvana Compensated nut for sale over in the classifieds forum.

Oh and I can give a thumbs up for Iron Gear pickups. I've been more than happy with the Pig Iron strat pickups in my strat for months now. Am hoping to do a telecaster build using there retro-fit humbucker sized P90's before Christmas too.
Update:

Sorry for the mega-bump.

After deciding to scrap the whole thing and go with a set of SCs, I had a sudden change of heart after realising the Squier was routed for HSH, meaning I could just drop a couple of Bucker sized p90s in there.

So, I ordered a H H PG from Axetec, 2 Alchemist p90s from Iron Gear, some wilkinson tuners and a wilkinson bridge. I reckon that's more than enough to turn the old beater into something half-way playable. So without further ado:

To be honest, most of the tone's in the coily cable, but you knew that.

I haven't decided on a refinish yet - the whole thing's time/money dependant. At the moment it looks a bit br00talz (and isn't helped by the light), so I'd like to change it up, go for something more refined.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There we have it!

What do you guys think about a refinish?

Natural? Stained? What colour?
I think it looks fine the way it is.
Good job!
I'd like to point out:
Last pic fretboard looks like Ebony kinda.
First pic as well kinda looks like it.
..I was watching my death.
Love it. Simply but sexy.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Quote by timbit2006
I think it looks fine the way it is.
Good job!
I'd like to point out:
Last pic fretboard looks like Ebony kinda.
First pic as well kinda looks like it.

The rosewood is incredibly dark on it. I like it, lends it a bit of class.

Thinking about going for an olympic white refinish.
Personally, I like it the way it is

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
For real. That metallic red is win.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Hmm.

The bridge screws are pretty firm in & one's stripped. Might just leave it as it is then.

Is that what your going for?
I think guitarfetish have humbucker sized P90s.
OFWGKTADGAFLLBBLSBFBN
Quote by Phantom14

Is that what your going for?
I think guitarfetish have humbucker sized P90s.

Heh, I'm all done now unless I decide to refinish. I did go for Humbucker sized p90s in the end, pics are above.
Done a little more work, stripped back the finish to reveal some suitably horrible wood, but y'know, I've taken a liking to the 'thrown together' aesthetic of it all, looks relic-y without being reliced.

Also added this for added relic-without-being-reliced-ness

I've got a tortoiseshell pickguard coming, but other than that, I'm done!

- New trem
- New nut
- New p'ups
- New tuners
- New pots
- New finish.

I'd say it's about a player now