So today I was browsing through YouTube and I found these vids: 1, 2, 3.

And, after listening to all of them I realized that I didn't really like those riffs that much. They sounded over-complicated at times (IMO). Whereas I still love some simpler, kinda groovier, bass riffs like Peace Sells by Megadeth, Black Sunshine by White Zombie, Pictures by System of a Down or Sadistic Magician by Municipal Waste for instance.

So what are some of your favorite bass riffs and what is somewhat of a common trait they share?
Last edited by Sant_iago_9 at Sep 12, 2010,
Any bass line from Paul McCartney in the Beatles. Particularly "Rain." Anything moving and melodic. No metal. Sorry.
Marilyn Manson - User Friendly, Kinderfeld, The Dope Show, The Beautiful People, Dope Hat
Beatles - Think For Yourself
David Bowie - Fashion
Gorillaz - Kids With Guns, Feelgood Inc.
KISS - Detroit Rock City
Lady GaGa - Beautiful Dirty Rich
Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal, Bad, Just Good Friends, Thriller
Ozzy Osbourne - Believer, Crazy Train, Spiders
Pink Floyd - The Wall, Money
Ratt - Way Cool Jr.
Toadies - Possum Kingdom
Quote by Nonameideas
Sounds like someone needs to listen to some funk for some real good bass riffs

likewut?
When you said over complicated, I thought you meant technical, but none of those vids are complicated, technical, or busy.
first off, thanks for the links, found some good stuff in there.

anyways, i wouldnt look to metal for groovin bass lines. there some groovy moments but usually its just a few seconds of a song.

this song by blotted science has a pretty cool bass riff at around 1:55 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3IUpiYCI_E

also, same band -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W5V2fSUMxc
Last edited by ScreamBloodyGor at Sep 12, 2010,
lol it seems not much people really understood the thread, the question really was:

So what are some of your favorite bass riffs and what is somewhat of a common trait they share?
one of my favourites is the riff in AC/DC's Jailbreak. it's boring as batshit to play but if you take it out of the song it just doesn't sound the same. It's also good for a breather after doing other full-on songs. I also like the first riff in Chinatown from Thin Lizzy, Money by Pink Floyd, Higher Ground (the Red Hot Chillies version) YYZ by Rush.
I absolutely love this Funk-Rock band from Chile called Papanegro. Their bassist has superb tone and his lines are extremely funky and entertaining to listen to. Not once have I seen them mentioned here in these forums, which is a shame (although I'm not surprised).

This is probably the most fun song I've ever played. Awesome back and forth between funky fingerstyle and slapping.
Papanegro-Cortentrete

Amazing slap riffs in this one.
Papanegro-Papanegro
Last edited by __Ronnie__ at Sep 16, 2010,
Money by Pink Floyd so groovy/easy/fun to play, you'll never get bored of playing it and you can play it in front of people and they'll be all like "omgzzz wat song r that?".

Good stuff.
pinga
Quote by __Ronnie__
I absolutely love this Funk-Rock band from Chile called Papanegro. Their bassist has superb tone and his lines are extremely funky and entertaining to listen to. Not once have I seen them mentioned here in these forums, which is a shame (although I'm not surprised).

This is probably the most fun song I've ever played. Awesome back and forth between funky fingerstyle and slapping.
Papanegro-Cortentrete

Amazing slap riffs in this one.
Papanegro-Papanegro

ive heard of papanegro they are awesome!

jamiroquai with stuart zender probably is the bassing im into at the moment.

just another story - look this up. simple riffs, but the fills are ridiculous...

and the tone, funkiest thing ive ever heard - not exaggerating
Anything claypools he gets funky to melodic to experimental and just plainly defies the laws of tradition. With his slap technique as well as tapping and fingerstyle he is just a god on the bass. Also playing 4 strings, six strings, and whamolas and fretlesses. He makes everything sound good.

Listen to Jerry was a racecar driver by primus or shake hands with beef by primus. Or just listen to anything bybprimus lol

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

PSN account - DeadAimHeadshot
Simple + fun? Megadeth's Symphony of Destruction, Metallica's For Whom The Bell Tolls, Down With The Sickness by Disturbed, Spiders by System of A Down, P***y Liquor by Rob Zombie.