Page 1 of 2
We all have atleast one. That perfect album that has ONE problem: the sound quality due to a bands lack of a proper recording in the early stages of their career. But no matter how bad it sounds, we still love it.

My favorite is Atreyu's "Fractures in the Facade of Your Porcelain Beauty"

So i was wondering, what are some of yours?
Schecter Blackjack SLS C-1 Active
Schecter Damien w/ Seymour Duncan Distortions
Peavey 6505+ 112
Blackstar HT-1RC
Visual Sound Double Trouble
Line 6 M-5
All Hail West Texas by The Mountain Goats is pretty good, not sure if it is my favorite, but worth a listen for sure.
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
Black Sabbath - Born Again and Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time. Guitars are waaaaaay too loud on both albuns. The effects also annoy me.
Last edited by vsdornelas at Sep 12, 2010,
Two albums immediately come to mind -- The Stooges' Raw Power, and Dino Jr's You're Living All Over Me.

Both sounding paper thin, tinny, the drums barely heard and guitars eating everything up. They're raw and they hit hard, but the level of quality probably won't be tolerated these days.
Raw Power by The Stooges.
I haven't heard the Bowie mix, but Iggy's remaster is absurdly loud & distorted. It's pretty br00t4l, really.
Wretch by Kyuss, everything by Sleep sounds like a demo, can't think of anything else
Quote by (sic)duckmaggot
Saint Anger by Metallica. lol

NO! St. Anger is the saint of contemporary post-2000 heavy rock albums - no flaws at all in that album, not one! Not classy Metallica sound, that I feel. But still kicks ass far into the next millenium.

I blast it out on my car stereos everyday to piss off the metal purists.
Campfire Songs. But that's kinda the whole point.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by (sic)duckmaggot
Saint Anger by Metallica. lol

+1

Loved it for what it represented rather than what it sounded like
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
if you wanted to go with truly bad production, probably reek of putrefaction by carcass, the riffs sound nuts. the production makes it sound like an airplane is taking off though
Quote by neidnarb11890
Raw Power by The Stooges.
I haven't heard the Bowie mix, but Iggy's remaster is absurdly loud & distorted. It's pretty br00t4l, really.

Raw Power is BEAST.
Quote by MG_Sora
inb4 metallica's entire discography

OT: I'd say Undertow by Tool.

dude no.
undertow had an awesome heavy/fuzz tone.
BEAUTIFUL
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by DillusionSystem
Between the Buried And Me - S/T

you, my friend, are my new favorite person.
Peavey 6505+ 112
Blackstar HT-1RC
Line 6 M-5
Almost all of Metallica has terrible production/sound quality in one aspect or another. Load and Reload are so compressed that they have no guts... the production on them matches almost perfectly with the pop of the late 90s. The Black Album (Metallica) or Master of Puppets is the closest they have to good production, which is sad given the incredible resources they have available.

I can't think of any particularly horribly recorded albums that I love so much as ones with terrible production decisions... Unless you count Guided By Voices or other stuff that's just straight-up lo-fi (so what do you expect!?).
Kill Hannah - The Curse of Kill Hannah
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Woody Guthrie's songs, but honestly, if Woody had recorded the songs with modern recording technology and mixing they just wouldn't be the same.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Either:

The Fall of Troy - s/t (the production is good, but still a tad shoddy)
Converge - Jane Doe
MATTERHORN
Quote by Tim the Rocker
NO! St. Anger is the saint of contemporary post-2000 heavy rock albums - no flaws at all in that album, not one! Not classy Metallica sound, that I feel. But still kicks ass far into the next millenium.

I blast it out on my car stereos everyday to piss off the metal purists.

honestly i like the album. its not my favorite metallica stuff, but it is actually pretty good. but lars drums sound like so much shit.
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
No matter what you like, you will like Meshuggah.

FREE GUITAR STRINGS!
Emperor's first full length, In the Nightside Eclipse. love the album, but like most black metal albums of the time, it sounds awful, but then again that's kind of the point.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Killing is My Business - Megadeth. I think Dave mixed this, and he mixed all the heaviness pretty much out of it - the guitars are pretty much clean and way too thin and quiet in comparison to the rhythm section
Quote by nigeltheginger
Killing is My Business - Megadeth. I think Dave mixed this, and he mixed all the heaviness pretty much out of it - the guitars are pretty much clean and way too thin and quiet in comparison to the rhythm section

I think it sounded Ok tbh,i mean you have to consider the production values which were pretty much equal to that of no life til leather
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by (sic)duckmaggot
honestly i like the album. its not my favorite metallica stuff, but it is actually pretty good. but lars drums sound like so much shit.

I honestly think the drums on ...And Justice For All sound worse.

They sound thin on Anger, I know, but it gives this kinda "I do what I want with my music and I don't give a shit" feeling to it that I very much like.
Quote by vsdornelas
Black Sabbath - Born Again and Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time. Guitars are waaaaaay too loud on both albuns. The effects also annoy me.

Somewhere In Time has gorgeous production! If any Maiden album has poor production it's their self titled debut... or the reunion albums. If they want to record live in the studio that's great, but they can at least master it decently so that it doesn't sound like a bootleg minus the crowd.

Ozzy's first couple solo albums sound a little rough around the edges. Some Pantera albums have some pretty awful production too.
Quote by theogonia777
Emperor's first full length, In the Nightside Eclipse. love the album, but like most black metal albums of the time, it sounds awful, but then again that's kind of the point.

Yeah In The Nightside Eclipse is a little rough, but at least Emperor chose to actually make some decent sounding albums, not shitty for the sake of being gr1m
fear is the mindkiller

CANUCKS
Last edited by TheEducatedFool at Sep 12, 2010,
Quote by GangsterLi
Kill Hannah - The Curse of Kill Hannah

yes
Peavey 6505+ 112
Blackstar HT-1RC
Line 6 M-5
Dunno if i'm just d/ling shoddy rips, but Tokyo Jihen's drums can sound awful sometimes.
We Sing Sin by the Killing Tree
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Page 1 of 2