I've got a black MIM tele on the way which i got cheapish online, but black is a faaaairly dull colour for a guitar, so i'd like to know, whats the wood like under the paint because i've always liked blonde finishes?

Cheers.

Reason i ask is cos i cant stand seeing the joins of the wood like this:

http://www.backalleymusic.co.uk/contents/media/squier%20satin%20blonde_000.jpg
Last edited by Down&Out at Sep 12, 2010,
I can tell you it will almost definitely not be one piece. It likely won't be too pretty either.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

It's really a crap shoot, quality control is so weird on MIM strats you could end up getting a fairly nice piece of wood or a totally fugly piece of wood. Either way, it probably wouldn't be figured enough for a nice blonde finish :/
All i needed to know, i assumed the worse anyway so cheers for the info, i'll leave it black or just repaint it.
Quote by Down&Out
I've got a black MIM tele on the way which i got cheapish online, but black is a faaaairly dull colour for a guitar, so i'd like to know, whats the wood like under the paint because i've always liked blonde finishes?

Cheers.

Reason i ask is cos i cant stand seeing the joins of the wood like this:

http://www.backalleymusic.co.uk/contents/media/squier%20satin%20blonde_000.jpg
I know that most MIM Strats could either be Poplar or Alder; unless they were specifically identified as Ash or Alder. I know some pros here love Poplar.

Quote by Ippon
I know some pros here love Poplar.
For the sound and ease of woodworking, but not really for the appearance. It tends to have greenish streaks in it:

(Invalid img)
Last edited by cedricsmods at Sep 13, 2010,
MIM fenders from '07 (iirc) onwards are all alder. That does not, however, mean it looks nice. I've seen 5 piece bodies in MIM fenders.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.