So i need a new amp and decided between these two .
I also thought about Egnater Tweaker and Orange Terrors .
I play mostly Hard Rock .
Some Classic Rock and Heavy too .
Im more Old-school type . i like vintage sounds . bit brighter .
I would love if an amp would have effects loop and built in reverb .
Dont really care so much about quality of cleans , but if cleans are good then its good , right ?

Would these amps have enough gain ? ( I have 2 boost pedals , OCD and Maxon 0d-9 . ) Which one has more gain ?

I need an amp for band practice and gigging at smaller places . ( Sometimes outside too ) . Also at home but thats not so important becouse i have a Crate at home for practicing .

Playing with Epiphone Les Paul 1959 . ( Gibson pickups )
I know that Rebel costs more than JCA 20 but im not in a big hurry .

Also if u know amps that would suit for me then tell me !
Thanks you !!
Last edited by Guitarpwner at Sep 12, 2010,
Honestly they'd both be pretty good. They have similar amounts of gain and serve similar purposes. Best advice anyone could give you is to find a Guitar Center and try them both. The voicing's a little different between them, so it depends on which one you like most.
Rebel 20: In my opinion, not all that good. It'll do what you want, but I don't like the tone. Try before you make your final decision, you might like it.

Tweaker: MUCH better than the Rebel in my opinion. Can do a bit of everything, built for mid-gain stuff. This would be great for you. Again, try it first.

JCA 20H: Very good amp. Think Marshall. Good for nearly anything. Try it out.

Orange Tiny Terror: Haven't tried one myself, but I've heard VERY good things. Try it first.
The Jet City is great for rock tones, and pretty much rock tones only. Its clean sounds aren't that clean, and the distortion doesn't sound very "metallic" but it's great for Iron Maiden and Ozzy type metal. Very rich in harmonics.
The reverb was, in my experience, very subtle, but most people seem to prefer that to the more blatant spring reverb that other amps have to offer.

Haven't tried the others.
Quote by sashki
The reverb was, in my experience, very subtle, but most people seem to prefer that to the more blatant spring reverb that other amps have to offer.

Huh?

The JCA20H doesn't have reverb

I really wasn't all too impressed by the Rebel, the Tweaker is a pretty cool amp though. The JCA is still my favorite though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
the jet city and tweaker are one channel jobs. in your other thread that was an issue for you. i didn't like the tiny terror when i tried it, not at all really but that's me. i don't know if the dual terror is the same, haven't tried it.

the rebel 20 is a matter of preference, i preferred the tweaker. ymmv.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
regarding the one channel issue. if you don't need sparkling cleans, set the tweeker or JCA to cleaner tones and boost it with a heavier overdrive pedal (think OCD). i did that on my tweaker for a while and it works great (i go from slightly dirty to screaming overdrive on mine though), but it should work for you.

the tweaker is a lot better than the rebel (in my opinion). the only thing i really liked more on the rebel was the wattage adjustment. it sounds pretty cool around 3-5 watts. the tube mix wasn't my favorite on the 20, as IMO its much better on the Renegade. however, for me, neither of those features really matter that much for practical use.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ Noticed you also have a Dual Terror. How do you like to compared to the Tweaker and the Renegade?
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Quote by Ayses
^ Noticed you also have a Dual Terror. How do you like to compared to the Tweaker and the Renegade?

i really love both the Dual Terror and the Renegade.

My main rig for most scenarios (blues/ blues rock) would be the Renegade, as it has the effects loop and stunning built in reverb and awesome footswitching options (volume boost, only using effects loop or reverb on certain channel (or both)).

However the rig i am using most right now consists of a Dual Terror and matching 2x12" and a malekko 616 out front on lower gain on the TT channel. that is what i use for church for contemporary Chirstian music(pretty big church, so its mic'd).

i really use both of them equally for practice.

i certainly could use either for most situations, as the Dual Terror has a nice blues tone, and classic rock tone.

the main reason i have the tweeker is for bringing to different practices, due to the flexibility of different tones (fendery cleans for some, hard marshally drive for others).

i also have a JCA on the way,would have it now, but it arrived DOA, and M123 s sending another one out. i bought that to mod, and maybe use for practice, since it is my only small combo amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by gregs1020
the jet city and tweaker are one channel jobs. in your other thread that was an issue for you. i didn't like the tiny terror when i tried it, not at all really but that's me. i don't know if the dual terror is the same, haven't tried it.

the rebel 20 is a matter of preference, i preferred the tweaker. ymmv.

Yeah thats coz i have been practicing using a volume knob on guitar for a while now

Thank you guys , im probably gonna get the JCA + 112 matching cab .
Just to be sure before im gonna get it and try it if possible , I have 2 questions .

So , is it still loud enough ? I have a Sting 50w SS amp nad band practice at moment .
Which 1 is louder , JCA or Sting ?

Does it have enough gain with tubescreamer ?for .. lets say , Pantera , Metallica , Megadeth kinda of stuff .
( For progre too . I also play Petrucci - Gilbert songs ) .
I live in Estonia so here's no Guitar Centers but im gonna look some other shops in Tallinn and maybe find someone who has this amp .

Thanks !
I don't know which one would be louder, but the Jet City is definitely loud enough for a band setting. However, if you play unmic'd it's close to impossible to get a good clean sound at gigging volumes.

And yes, when boosted the JCA can do teh metuhlz.
what about the jca2112rc combo ?
What are the differences ?
Coz the head doesn't hve a reverb built in and theres a bit more work to do
when gigging with mini-stack . What would you prefer ? Is the sound of the combo same
as the head ?
It's the same circuit minus the reverb. A combo will almost always have a slightly different (or very different) sound than it's head+cab variant depending on what cab you play the head through. A 1x12 combo like the JCA2112 will sound way different than a JCA20H head through a 4x12 cab. More bass, more thump, more in-you-face roar.

1-speaker combos sometimes sound very directional and like they're inside a cardboard box. Not always though.
I tried both back to back recently, along with a bunch of other stuff.

I chose the Rebel, wasn't impressed with the Jet City. But it really is a matter of personal taste, go shopping with you ears, plug in to everything and buy the one that sounds best to you!

As for volume, the Rebel 20 is louder than my old Peavey ValveKing 50W. No problem playing concerts unmiked...
Quote by Pat Mustard
I tried both back to back recently, along with a bunch of other stuff.

I chose the Rebel, wasn't impressed with the Jet City. But it really is a matter of personal taste, go shopping with you ears, plug in to everything and buy the one that sounds best to you!

As for volume, the Rebel 20 is louder than my old Peavey ValveKing 50W. No problem playing concerts unmiked...

that statement makes absolutely no sense to me, as they both are tube. a 50 watter may be slightly louder than another 50 watter, but a 20 watter is not equal to a 50 watter in volume. at least from all the amps that i have herad.

i bought the JCA2112RC, and it worked for about 2 minutes and it sounded great until it the OT blew. i sent it back to M123, and my new one comes thursday. i will post back here after i mess around with it for a while.

i bought the combo for the reverb. and for it to be portable. i like having a small amp that i can just haul over with a guitar for practice, and not have to worry about a cabinet.

you could probably put it thorugh a 4x12" and get the same tone as the mini head, but have reverb, as the head does have a speaker out.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The egnater doesn't sound vintage at all so count that out. I havent played the jet city but it has a cool vintage rock vibe to it from clips I have heard.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
that statement makes absolutely no sense to me, as they both are tube. a 50 watter may be slightly louder than another 50 watter, but a 20 watter is not equal to a 50 watter in volume. at least from all the amps that i have herad.

There's a lot more to volume than wattage. It's entirely possible for a 20W amp to be louder than a 50W amp.
I think the Jet City sounds like what you're looking for. It's a good deal brighter sounding than the Egnater (which has a distinctly mellow sound to it). It has a slightly "spiky" sound that's good for classic hard rock.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass