I've had a problem with my CE22 (Dragon II p/ups) fading and cutting out. It has only started happening within the last few weeks. Today, during a band practice, they pretty much cut totally out. There were moments when only the split-coil positions would work, but the humbucking positions were not working properly. This makes me think it's a wiring issue. I opened up the control cavity, could not find any obvious problems. Keep in mind, I'm certainly no wiring tech..
Anybody have any ideas on whats up with it?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Check all of the connections or get somebody who knows a little more to do it.

Pickups are wires wrapped around a magnet, and short of physically destroying them, they cannot "break" really.

The most likely problem is either the input jack has come loose or the wires have frayed or jiggled loose somehow. If you're comfortable with a soldering iron it's an easy fix, and if not a tech could do it in 5 minutes.

I'm going to assume you've tried different cables or tried a different guitar and had no problems with your current cables.

Get somebody to check the wires and then come back.
will check the input jack..
i can certainly get some basic soldering done here at home, if that is the problem.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

now that i tihnk of it, i know it's not the input. i can't force the connection by jiggling the cable and if the wire had came completely loose there would be no sound. def. not an input.

Emailed PRS, they suggested it was a grounding problem. one had come loose, or is touching something it shouldnt be.

Everything seems to be good, according to the schematic on the PRS site.
http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/schem08/custom5wayrotary.pdf
What's really troubling me is that i had the problem once (at a gig, luckily at the end of the night when people were pretty much clearing out) and it was fine for a while, and then it happened again yesterday. i don't know what to think

any chance it could be interference or something from some kind of device? cell phone or something? this is totally out of left field, i'm bewildered. i originally thought (at the gig) that my wah pedal was messed and was sucking out signal, since when i plugged diretly into the amp it seemed to work. yet yesterday, i had the same problem playing through only my pitchblack (tuner). plugged direct into the amp, still had the problem.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Last edited by wyldeshredder at Sep 13, 2010,
It's gotta be a loose wire or cold (dull in color) solder joint somewhere. Interference wouldn't do something like that. Doesn't really sound like a grounding problem either - a grounding issue or outside interference would cause excess noise, not a loss of signal.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
i suspect that the pup lead that goes to the tone knobby got caputzulized.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
HEY DR.NICK! cold solder joint.. i'll look into this.

and greg, though i do not commonly use the term caputzulized, i think i know what you mean..
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Also, try it on a different amp. Might be your tubes.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
def not my tubes. i thought it was at first, but my tele works 100% through it
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

hey guys.. the lead connected to the tone pot coming from the pickups has bits of untwisted exposed wire after the solder joint. it like, the wire, the solder joint, and then a bit of extra wire. is this a possible culprit? i'm thinking i'll touch it up tonight
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

told ya. it's got caputzilized, that's what caputzilized looks like.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.