So it's my senior year, college/university approacheth eventually, and I'll need to do a down sizing of sorts

if you check my sig that's pretty much all my gear minus a wah and pod xt live which I use for effects (pups in guitars are dimarzios)

for wherever I go, I would pretty much be limited to 1 guitar and 1 amp/multi-effects/etc

what I am currently considering is saving and purchasing a James Tyler variax to replace my 6 string and acoustic and haul it off wherever I go, but i think that the amp/pedal protion is more tricky

the pod xt live is decent, but the amp models are lacking, especially when through headphones(I use the direct sound ex-29s, paul Gilbert uses them and they're pretty good) but i don't really have the space to haul a combo amp, so thoughts on good preamps/pedals? I am interested in the pod hd500 becaues it might actually be decent but as of now my budget is about, I'd say 600-700 US dollars

thanks for your help, and as far as genres, I play mostly hard and classic rock as well as many kinds of metal, but also some blues, punk and ska
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Last edited by Metalmaker at Sep 12, 2010,
I would look into some computer modeling. I got a line6 Guitarport half-way through my freshman year of college and though the amp modeling on it was TERRIBLE at first they've steadily improved the software and updating is quick, easy, and free. Now the models still aren't like the real thing but they're acceptable enough for practice or recording ideas in Audacity (which is what I did until recently).

Now I live in a house with a shed out back where I set up a studio with a couple friends and I can use my Twin and petalboard and all that. But if I'm playing in my room it's generally still through the computer.

I know there are better products than the Line6 gizmo I have, so I'd just look around and pick something out. Read reviews since this is probably stuff that you won't be able to sample ahead of time.
You can look for a used Digidesign Eleven Rack and some studio monitors, or pick up a Pod X3, since you play metal. One can get some seriously nice tones out of a Pod X3.

And honestly, you're probably gonna get roommates that are cool with you using something loud-ish, so your current MFX with some nice studio monitors would suffice. But yeah, X3 and studio monitors is my recommendation.

EDIT: I'm a senior as well, and this is exactly what I plan to do.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
When I moved into my apartment, I started storing my live rig at a friend's house, and now I just use POD Farm on my laptop. 100 bucks for the POD GX interface. I think it sounds pretty damn convincing. A few metal producers swear by POD Farm and don't even mic guitars anymore. Worth a shot.

www.myspace.com/ciphermi

That's all POD Farm and Acoustica Beatcraft drums.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

One of you Ibanez guitars should be fine to bring.

Look into the Line 6 POD's, as other peopl of suggested. Good tones, plus a bunch of effects. Certainly there are much better amps/effects, but for a uni rez or appartment, you'll need something that you can run with headphone/not have to crank to get good tones.

I've heard good thing about the 11 rack, have to go used on that one. If possible look for an AXE-FX standard used, with your budget you'd have to get really lucky but they are the best modellers around and would deffinatly be worth saving a bit more for.
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Thanks for the replies thus far

the x3 does look better than the xt (my brother has it and he can get some nice sounds out of it) but before I just broke down and bought it, I'd wait till the hd500 comes out, because what if it's better quality you know?

Studio monitors appeal to me, but I know about as much about monitors as calculus at this point, I'm learning, but still lost, so advice would be nice regarding brands, models etc

as far as vst's and pod farm and the like, they look helpful, but idk if my laptop's sound card could do well enough, plus, would I be able to record into reaper? (I would probably look into free software first since I'm a cheap bastard :-P)

about the eleven rack, I hope that an axe fx ultra will be in my future sometime in the next 5 years or so, so yeah ;-)

thanks so far, keep the thoughts coming
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
You could probably fit your XXX and a 212 in your dorm, that's what I would do in your situation. Controlling volume will require some fine adjustment of your volume knob though.

I'd also recommend you go for the Vypyr Tube, it has a headphone jack and sounds better than the POD stuff IMO (I don't know about the new HD things from Line 6 coming out, though)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Funny you bring up Reaper, thats what I recorded all of that music in that link with. Also, the Line 6 GX acts as an external sound card, so when you're using POD Farm you're running through that. The quality of your PC sound card is irrelevent. Shit, I'm using a 170 dollar ASUS EEEPC with onboard everything to do apartment demos.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Quote by Raijouta
You could probably fit your XXX and a 212 in your dorm, that's what I would do in your situation. Controlling volume will require some fine adjustment of your volume knob though.

I'd also recommend you go for the Vypyr Tube, it has a headphone jack and sounds better than the POD stuff IMO (I don't know about the new HD things from Line 6 coming out, though)

Part of the problem is that whatever I take would have to fit in my car with the rest of my crap, which a pod, would, a combo or head and cab not so much, otherwise that's what I'd do, but you didn't know that, so my mistake
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
Quote by Unskathed
When I moved into my apartment, I started storing my live rig at a friend's house, and now I just use POD Farm on my laptop. 100 bucks for the POD GX interface. I think it sounds pretty damn convincing. A few metal producers swear by POD Farm and don't even mic guitars anymore. Worth a shot.

www.myspace.com/ciphermi

That's all POD Farm and Acoustica Beatcraft drums.

dont mean to be an arse, but you can really tell it is just POD Farm and Acoustica Beatcraft drums, horrid sound.

anyhow ide go for a floor multieffects no idea what one i dont use any effects other than distortion, and reverb. but for an amp ide consider a one of the small 20w tube amps not sure how much they are in the US, but maybe get a second hand one. im at uni and have a 20w krank rev jr. works perfect and sounds nice at dormroom levels.

you might wanna think about one with a headphone out tho.

hth james
Well so far you've all been helpful

the pod farm sounds decent and even if I don't prefer it, it comes free with the ux1 interface, so I can use that to decide

from what I can see, the interface is usable with pretty much any type of vst or software, so if I don't like pod farm, I can go for guitar rig or something free, since I've heard there are good free ones

for monitoring, I could use my headphones and save for some decent monitors of some sort

any suggestions for monitors and does the interface work as I think?
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
if youve got $6-700, then i would not go for the line6 gx studio whatever thingy. great for what it is, and great on a budget. once you start being able to spend a bit more, thats when things get more interesting. i would suggest at least getting something with an xlr input. allows you to throw a mic on your amp, or lay down some vocals. my preference for cheap and 1 channel is the m-audio fast track mkII. step it up to $200 for the interface, and you can get 2 channels, which is really nice. i like the fast track pro here, but there are some other nice options as well.

monitors are nice for mixing, not so essential for just playing. a good pair of headphones to stay quiet is what i typically use. because you will be spending at least $300 minimum to get a pair of monitors worth using, and $400 is more likely. since you wont be mixing, save your money for now.

there is a lot of great software out there too, and some of it is free. revalver is a paid one i like, acmebargig's shred is a free sim package i like. tons of other stuff out there too.
I'm a big advocate of bringing your gear to college. If that's not an option due to transport issues, I would still consider picking up a solid rig in college.

It really depends on whether or not you are gigging/jamming or not. If you just want to play in your bedroom, pick up a line six flextone and you'll be fine. Otherwise, it's worth it to deal with a few noise complaints for a solid live rig at your fingertips.
Good point. I'm going to university next year and obviously, I'm not going to stop playing guitar, also because I'm studying musicology. However, there's no way I can take my halfstack into my room. Not only is there not enough room, it would be way too loud as well. I do however want to have something there, just in case I'd need it, so a digital modeling thing would be ideal, but not if I want to use it for gigging as well. I'll have to think this through and see how much space I have in my room first, when I've transported my stuff.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
What I did last year when I was living in a dorm was bought a Bugera V5. I used to run that on the .1 watt mode in my dorm all the time. At the time I had a Windsor half stack and there's no way that was coming with me. The Bugera was cheap and I wouldn't have been too upset if it got ripped off but it sounded pretty good, especially for the price.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I understand where many are you are coming from, but seriously, I will barely have the room for a guitar and pedal type thing, much less a full blown amp or combo, mainly because it will have to fit into my car, and my car's room, minus space for baggage and essentials, doesn't leave very much room

so that's why I'm looking for a solution that is smaller than say, half a guiat case, or MAYBE the size or just a guitar head
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
invest in a 2x12 and a good attenuator or go for a nice low wattage combo
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112