Hello guys, I've recently decided to put my Engl Fireball up for sale. The main reason being, the thing does not cut through the mix for me. A play a lot of DIY shows where only vocals and the kick drum is mic'd. I also play a lot of legit venues (Harpos', St. Andrews Hall, etc.) where I'm mic'd. Either way, I'm told that my amp does not cut through.

I run the master almost wide open, gain at about 10 o'clock. I run it at 16 ohms into a B-52 4x12 with vintage 30's. My guitar is a solid body Washburn HM with a Duncan JB in the bridge. I play post-hardcore/melodic hardcore. I need an amp that has good cleans (will have effects on the clean channel) and good British sounding distortion. I don't need tons of gain though. Most importantly, it must cut through the mix live.

Our rhythm guitarist runs a 6505 head, and it absolutely eats the mix. Thank you!

EDIT: I recently had every single tube in the amp replaced, joints resoldered, and biased.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

How about a rack or pedal EQ? The Fireball by itself barely has any mids, but upping them with an EQ does wonders for me. Sounds like a totally different amp like that. And yeah, it's probably not the case of your fireball not cutting through the mix, it's that the 6505 has the biggest ****ing midrangey-sound I've ever heard come from a high-gain amp. Seriously, that thing is 99% mids.
The Fireball doesn't sound very british to me, but if that's what you want...

Jet City Amps JCA100 or JCA50
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Laney GH50L or GH100L
Soldano Hot Rod, Avenger
Rivera K-Tre
Baron K-88
Randall RM100 with Jaded Faith or Salvation modules
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I was definitely considering the JCA 50W head. It looks nice to me. It should also be mentioned that the head doesn't cut through when I'm the sole guitar player either. It sounds fantastic on it's own, but throw in a band and the crowd tells me to turn up after every song, and I run my mids almost dimed.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Last edited by Unskathed at Sep 12, 2010,
Quote by Raijouta
The Fireball doesn't sound very british to me, but if that's what you want...

Jet City Amps JCA100 or JCA50
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Laney GH50L or GH100L
Soldano Hot Rod, Avenger
Rivera K-Tre
Baron K-88
Randall RM100 with Jaded Faith or Salvation modules

I agree.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Splawn Nitro.

You will DOMINATE the mix
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Splawn Nitro.

You will DOMINATE the mix

I would love to get a Splawn. I found a Quickrod on eBay for about the same price I'm selling my Engl for the other day.

What are your mids at? My fireball's mids are always almost all the way up. You could try to put an EQ in the loop as well. Maybe ask the other guitar player to EQ his 6505 so that it sounds best WITH your fireball.
/rig
i am echoing everybody else.

up the mids or get an OD808
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Get a Mesa Mark III, IV or V, deffinantly enough mids to cut through.
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Spend a rehearsal day with the band so you can all adjust your volume and EQs until everyone is satisfied with the resulting full band sound. Remember, having an awesome tone on your own doesn't equal having the same tone with the band; and once you've found your tone that goes great with the band, it may sound crap on its own, but that's ok as you're after the sound for the band.
Dude is out of the band now, but it's still an issue. It's honestly embarrassing when we're playing a gig and people are telling me to turn up my guitar so they can hear it, and the master and mids are cranked.

I know how to EQ with a band, I'm not inexperienced or anything. I'm starting to regret selling my Windsor, just for it's sheer power. The Fireball is out the door for sure. Mainly because I have no way of buying any more gear for the next year or so. I'm having a baby soon and every dime I can save is going for that right now. All the money I have to work with is what I'll get out of the Engl.

Looked at some Laney GH50's on eBay. Nice price. It's between that or a JCA 50 for sure.

Quote by Eryth
And yeah, it's probably not the case of your fireball not cutting through the mix, it's that the 6505 has the biggest ****ing midrangey-sound I've ever heard come from a high-gain amp. Seriously, that thing is 99% mids.

The only thing I have heard thats worse is probably my savage and I run that with the mids cranked

You could try one of the less modern voiced ENGL's? Maybe a Savage or Invader?
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Keep in mind, the JCA50 is based on the Soldano Hot Rod 50, which is made in the USA vs. the Jet City's Made in China.

They're almost identical (especially since both amps are made by the same guy, and Mike Soldano is no slouch when it comes to quality) just something to think about.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
Keep in mind, the JCA50 is based on the Soldano Hot Rod 50, which is made in the USA vs. the Jet City's Made in China.

They're almost identical (especially since both amps are made by the same guy, and Mike Soldano is no slouch when it comes to quality) just something to think about.

I sure hope they're not the same, cause the Hot Rod 50 I have in the other room sounds like shit
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I sure hope they're not the same, cause the Hot Rod 50 I have in the other room sounds like shit

There's a video on YouTube of the JCA100 pro mic'd through a Splawn cabinet, thing sounds exactly like the tone I'm looking for. Going to Guitar Center and Marshall Music to try out stuff this coming Saturday.

Also, I might be able to get my hands on a Framus Dragon for 850. How are those amps?

Quote by Unskathed
There's a video on YouTube of the JCA100 pro mic'd through a Splawn cabinet, thing sounds exactly like the tone I'm looking for. Going to Guitar Center and Marshall Music to try out stuff this coming Saturday.

Also, I might be able to get my hands on a Framus Dragon for 850. How are those amps?

Oh man, Dragon all the way. $850 for that head is a smoking deal and as much as I love my JCA, I really don't think the 100 could touch a Framus
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by timi_hendrix
Know why that 6505 cuts through so nicely? Mids.

THISTHISTHISTHISTHIS. I cannot emphasize this more.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
It's honestly embarrassing when we're playing a gig and people are telling me to turn up my guitar so they can hear it, and the master and mids are cranked.

THISTHISTHIS. I cannot emphasize this more!
lol.

But seriously. Read the thread. I have stated about three times that I crank the mids on my amp. It's also been stated and understood that the Fireball has shitty mids on its own, and needs an EQ pedal.

Unfortunately, I don't have the funding to buy an EQ pedal, the only money I have to spend on gear is what I get out of the Fireball.
Thanks for everyone's help and time though. I'm in no way trying to sound snotty.

Randall RM100 (go to the randall forums and ask about modules)

OR... And ENGL Savage.

I want a Savage so badly...

It's the bastard spawn of a Marshall and a Soldano that died, went to Hell, and returned as a zombie.

EDIT: Ah your budget is what the FB gets you...

Randall RM50 with Blackface and Mr Scary modules.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by MatrixClaw

That's because you're doinitrong
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Thank you sir.
For some reason I always relate Randall amps to that crappy processed Pantera guitar tone.
I'll try out one of their module amps for sure.

you know you could pick up a Danelectro Fish'n'chips eq new for like 35-40 which you could get from a gig or something easy or maybe cheaper used. or even a Boss GE-7 you could find used from 35-50 I imagine used. just saying. that or maybe you can work a barter with someone to trade something for gear that will help or borrow someone's for gigs till you can get something.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Quote by Raijouta
That's because you're doinitrong

Not according to the 5 other people I've talked to who have used/owned one
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
i have heard el34 equipped amps cut through the mix like a knife
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112