I'm going to be replacing my Marshall AVT 50 watt's single 12AX7 tube and I was wondering if I could get some advice as to what brand of tube would I get the most tone from for this amp. Price does not matter for me.
Mesa or jj
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
How good are those super expensive brands like telefunken compared to a Mesa 12AX7?
Telefunkens are awesome. I have one in my Laney, but I don't know how much they'd improve your AVT's tone, actually. Usually, something fairly standard like a JJ should suffice. I like JJ's. They don't have too much top-end, which might help with the AVT, since it's top-end can be kinda painful. But again, I don't know how much of a difference different tubes make in AVTs.
Telefunkens are pure sex. But I wouldn't be paying for one of those to put in an AVT.

Just toss a JJ or something in it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Funk Monk
I'm going to be replacing my Marshall AVT 50 watt's single 12AX7 tube and I was wondering if I could get some advice as to what brand of tube would I get the most tone from for this amp. Price does not matter for me.

Don't expect night and day.......but try a gold pin JJ .......real nice clark!
To clarify i'm not expecting night and day, but it will help. I am also upgrading the speakers soon so i'm sure the two combined upgrades will help.
Just to clarify, Mesa tubes are rebranded Groove Tubes. They're also made specifically to match Mesa's bias and specifications, so I wouldn't really recommend them for another amp.

Again, I also don't think changing the tube in your AVT will make much difference; it's probably an extreme pain in the ass to change it too. You'd be better off getting a new amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
And Groove Tubes are usually rebranded sovteks.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by TheQuailman
The speaker upgrade will make a bigger difference. Unless the tube is beginning to act up, I wouldn't bother with it tbh.

+1
id only really change that tube if it ever starts to die
speakers will make a huge difference
but really you could sell the amp and use that money and the speaker money to buy something better
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska