So, I know with footswitches (depending on the brand) it lists the compatibility with the same brand's amps, but can like a Marshall 3-Way(or 2 way) footswitch work with plugging into any kind of amp that has footswitch inputs in the back?

might be a stupid question, but I'm just trying clear up some information since it's kinda hard to find

thanks
sometimes, but what amp do you want the pedal for?

my blackstar one worked in my VK but they did the opposite if that makes sense.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
It depends on the kind of footswitch the amps uses, some use latching and some use non-latching and to be honest I don't actually know what the difference is, someone else will have to clarify.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^latching: you press it and it changes channel

ˆnon-latching: you press it and it changes channel, you release it and it goes back to the normal one, AFAIK they're mostly used as keyboard pedals

it depends though, not all footswitches use stereo wires, some use pinned cables of some sorts and aren't switchable between amps
Quote by Darkflame
^latching: you press it and it changes channel

ˆnon-latching: you press it and it changes channel, you release it and it goes back to the normal one, AFAIK they're mostly used as keyboard pedals

it depends though, not all footswitches use stereo wires, some use pinned cables of some sorts and aren't switchable between amps

If the amp uses switching relays then the footswitch might use non-latching buttons, but wont go back to normal when you take it off.
Chances are though, if it has a 1/4" jack for the footswitch, it'll use latching switches.
My Mark IV actually uses both, the 4 channel switches are non-latching, but the EQ and FX Loop switches are latching switches.