http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-JS32T-Rhoads-Electric-Guitar?sku=584378

And

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Hellraiser-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=520092

I think I'm pretty much set on the Jackson mainly because I've had to lower my budget, but also because it has pretty much all positive reviews, I know the Schecter one does too, but its $150 bucks more, so I just want to be positive, so any comments would be appreciated.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing, what are good strings for metal?
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Fender Standard Telecaster HH Black (SH-5/'59)
-Fender Standard Stratocaster HH White (Nazgul/'59)
-Austin Guitars Les Paul Goldtop Copy (Distortion/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Peavey Stereo Chorus 2x12 Combo
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Last edited by MusicMan24 at Sep 12, 2010,
Go play them, then make a decision, thats the best way to choose.

Also if you prefer the schecter and think its worth saving up for, then do it, you'll not regret saving up and getting an axe that you truly adore
The Schecter is a better guitar but as you know its more expensive. Personally if you can definitely try to hold out for the Schecter because you'll be happier you did in the long run.

As for your question about strings its really a matter of preference as well as tuning. If you're in a low tuning like Drop C then you'll want thicker strings than if you're playing in E standard.
I mainly play in Drop C, Db, and D Standard
Guitars:

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Strings are personal preference.
I personally prefer DR tite fit 10 - 46 strings
I would say the Schecter is better due to the pickups. That is the reason why it is $150 more, EMG 81/85s are good pickups, Jackson stock pickups are not. Also the Schecter has a set neck, which you may or may not like, but that provides better access to the higher frets.
Also in terms of aesthetics, I'm not a fan of flying V's, Ive got one and ive got a dean razorback, Theyre awkward to play sitting down and they just make you look like a bit of a tool.
for drop c I like d'addario 10-52
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Quote by MusicMan24
Well, I've read all the responses, and I think I'm just going to go for the Jackson, because the guitars I own right now, suck for playing metal, and metal is pretty all I play, and if the pickups really suck, then I'll just throw a set of EMGs on it.

So thanks a lot for the comments/advice

why would you buy the jackson only to put EMG's in it which would put the price to about the same (actually more) as just buying the Schecter, plus the Schecter has other things like tuners that are also better.

as mentioned earlier 10-52's are pretty good for Drop C but i'd recommend those as being the minimum. I prefer going 11 or 12 on the top and 52 or 54 on the bottom (Ernie Ball and D'addario are the most popular brands to look into for strings but there are also lots of others.
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Sep 12, 2010,
I hope I'm not late...but buy the Schecter
Mahogany body, set-neck, ebony fretboard, EMG 81-85, GraphTech nut, Grover tuners; you really can't go wrong with this guitar, especially for metal. It is perfect for metal, every aspect of it.

On the other hand, the Jackson is bolt-on (which is not bad, but set-neck has better fret-access), unknown body-wood, Jackson pickups (not better than EMGs at all), and if you end up not-liking the pickups, you'll spend $200 more on EMGs (making it more expensive that the Schecter in the end).

Don't buy the Jackson just becuase it has a "badass" look, the schecter has better overall specs
"Terrible wars have been fought where millions have died for one idea, freedom. And it seems that something that means so much to so many people would be worth having." -Andrew Martin (Bicentennial Man)
i tried the jackson and it plays horrible compared to that schecter. Honestly give that schecter a try at your local guitar store, and trust me you will change your mind.
Changed my mind, I'm going with the Schecter
Guitars:

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Quote by MusicMan24
Changed my mind, I'm going with the Schecter

Nice! You probably won't regret it
"Terrible wars have been fought where millions have died for one idea, freedom. And it seems that something that means so much to so many people would be worth having." -Andrew Martin (Bicentennial Man)
DO not get the Jackson JS series, they are pretty poor due to their lame build quality and pickups. Honestly.

The schecter just outdoes the jackson in every aspect and will definitely warrant the extra 150 so go for it.

some br00tz sttings for teh m3tuls include; power slinky or top heavy skinny bottom by Ernie Ball
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
The Schecter will do better than the Jackson. Though I hate Schecter, it'll probably be your best bet. Maybe look for something else in your price range as well.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
yeah...the best way to decide is to play them each.....no other way......have u tried them?
Quote by rajandmaria
yeah...the best way to decide is to play them each.....no other way......have u tried them?

Nope, I'm unable to try them
Guitars:

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Of the two, I would say go with the Schecter.

Personally, I don't like Schecter's necks. They feel too fat or something...but you might like them.
Given the prices, as has already been stated, the Schecter is just a way better value, no ifs ands or buts about it. The EMG's alone are worth $200, not to mention that everything else about the Schecter is better quality than the Jackson.

The only thing I really want to add to this thread is that there is no good string type for anything. People get the misconception that certain strings work well for certain things, when this isn't true whatsoever. It's important to get strings that feel good and work for you, and everybody has their own preference, because everybody is different. No one on here can tell you what string will be good. There is no way to find out for sure besides trying a bunch of different kinds until you find a kind you really like. Sorry TS, no easy way out of that one.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The only thing I really want to add to this thread is that there is no good string type for anything. People get the misconception that certain strings work well for certain things, when this isn't true whatsoever. It's important to get strings that feel good and work for you, and everybody has their own preference, because everybody is different. No one on here can tell you what string will be good. There is no way to find out for sure besides trying a bunch of different kinds until you find a kind you really like. Sorry TS, no easy way out of that one.

For brands, this is true...drop tuning and string gauge, not so much.

Ever try tuning 9's down to drop B?

If he plays in drop C, he should at least go with 10's...but 11's would be preferable.
ehh... I would go for schecter if you're really sticking to that price point. I suggest though saving more money to get a kick ass schecter
Quote by DarthJoe
For brands, this is true...drop tuning and string gauge, not so much.

Ever try tuning 9's down to drop B?

If he plays in drop C, he should at least go with 10's...but 11's would be preferable.

Yeah, 11-52. Not 11-48/49/50.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Obviously the Schecter is the better of the two... You really can't argue that and hope to win.

Of course you could say one feels better than the other, but the Schecter wins overall in everything else.

You could try to find a C-1 Artist II used. They go for around $300, and is a very nice guitar. I'm definitely not biased, either.
Quote by DarkLordArthur
I hope I'm not late...but buy the Schecter
Mahogany body, set-neck, ebony fretboard, EMG 81-85, GraphTech nut, Grover tuners; you really can't go wrong with this guitar, especially for metal. It is perfect for metal, every aspect of it.

On the other hand, the Jackson is bolt-on (which is not bad, but set-neck has better fret-access), unknown body-wood, Jackson pickups (not better than EMGs at all), and if you end up not-liking the pickups, you'll spend $200 more on EMGs (making it more expensive that the Schecter in the end).

Don't buy the Jackson just becuase it has a "badass" look, the schecter has better overall specs

The Jackson is made out of Indian Cedro. As much of a Jackson fanboy as I am, I really cannot recommend the JS series to anyone. Get the Schecter, TS. Or save for an RR3.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.