Hey everyone, I've decided it may be time for me to buy a beater. I'm sick and tired of walking into my music school and having people comment on my guitars as if I'm royalty/ richy rich when they merely used Gibsons. Plus I will be playing gigs pretty soon. I don't like the idea of putting my beloved guitars through the wringer. I've been thinking of getting an Epiphone G-400, but I really dont know what a good sounding cheap guitar is. I'm willing to change the pickups out on it, so I guess I'm just looking for a good quality body/neck.

Any ideas?
Last edited by scoter man1 at Sep 12, 2010,
rondo music is perfect for you my friend
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
tell them their used and to screw off. Don't go waste money on shitty guitars you don't need or want.
rondo is good stuff and I will comment on gfs guitars when mine comes in this week.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Epiphone g-400 is good, does an epiphone dot interest you?
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Quote by firebird103
tell them their used and to screw off. Don't go waste money on shitty guitars you don't need or want.

Man you know I wish I could, the only thing is the owner comments on them so I think he wants to jack my rates up. Plus, I've already told him and every weeks its like I've got a new guitar... "whoooaa, thats a nice guitar man!" lol... people -.- I still would like one for giging anyway. I'll give rondo a look, and I'm not too interested in the dot. I generally like the normal Gibson look... sg, les paul, flying v, explorer... that kinda stuff.
Last edited by scoter man1 at Sep 12, 2010,
Quote by scoter man1
I'm sick and tired of walking into my music school and having people comment on my guitars as if I'm royalty/ richy rich when they merely used Gibsons.

What kind of guitar do you have? Or is this just a typo? Are you trying to say that the other people merely use Gibsons or are you trying to say that your guitars are merely just used Gibsons? I'm lost...
Quote by nightwindelf88
What kind of guitar do you have? Or is this just a typo? Are you trying to say that the other people merely use Gibsons or are you trying to say that your guitars are merely just used Gibsons? I'm lost...

I have a used Gibson sg special and a used Gibson flying v. I'm not saying anything against my Gibsons, I love them very much. It just pisses me off how people go WAY out of their way to comment about them as if I'm rich and they are brand new 1k+ dollar guitars. I'm only 16 so I think they probably guess I'm loaded or something.
Ah. Either way, those ARE nice guitars. I see where they're coming from, you don't see very many teenagers with real Gibson guitars. Especially two of them. Just agree and tell them yes, they are nice guitars. And then ignore them.
Quote by nightwindelf88
Ah. Either way, those ARE nice guitars. I see where they're coming from, you don't see very many teenagers with real Gibson guitars. Especially two of them. Just agree and tell them yes, they are nice guitars. And then ignore them.

Yea, haha, most people are like... Gibson? What? How? Its still a somewhat good idea for me to get a junker for gigs... Just get something that makes noise...
I wouldn't sell yourself short. Depending on the year of those Gibsons, they could be gold. The only reason I would go with a cheaper guitar for gigs would be so that nobody steals my shit. Or just get yourself some decent locking cases.

Edit: Go with something like Ibanez. It's still a decent quality guitar and most people don't mind much attention to them.
Last edited by nightwindelf88 at Sep 12, 2010,
My Epiphone G-400 and my Agile Al-2000 sound almost indistinguishable from each other, both with stocked pickups, and the Agile was a lot cheaper.
I say just craiglist/kijiji/ebay for used guitars. Look for a guide around UG for buying used guitars.

But doesn't it make it worse to buy ANOTHER guitar? Those kids will end up thinking...you gotz new guitar!? anyways i think you should play as hard as you can you you earn that pretty guitar that you own =)
I stand behind the Rondo recommendations. Rondo is a stellar "bang for your buck" company. If you'd like an alternative suggestion, check out some of Ibanez' lower end stuff. There, you'll find some incredibly well priced Guitars.
I would say get a Peavey Raptor with a H/S/S configuration. They aren't bad guitars with some hardware switched out, the earlier ones are supposed to be a little nicer. Perfect platform for a raw body and plenty of stickers.

If you where really set on a Gibson-esque guitar, check out some of the lawsuit-era copies from Japan. Specifically like mine. Great guitars for the price, I payed $300.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
i dont understand why you would buy a worse guitar, if you have a good guitar why not show it off and use it for gigs?
Bernier
Quote by nightwindelf88
I wouldn't sell yourself short. Depending on the year of those Gibsons, they could be gold. The only reason I would go with a cheaper guitar for gigs would be so that nobody steals my shit. Or just get yourself some decent locking cases.

Edit: Go with something like Ibanez. It's still a decent quality guitar and most people don't mind much attention to them.

Unless it's a JEM DNA or reissue of UVMC. Even 7VW sometimes gets looks.

Schecter make very good and affordable guitars, highly recommended.
Last edited by mdeeRocks at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by Bernier51
i dont understand why you would buy a worse guitar, if you have a good guitar why not show it off and use it for gigs?

So it doesnt get banged up or stolen. The stuff at rondo looks good, it just worries me that I can't really try them. I havent ever seen any of those guitars at a shop. Epi's seem to hold their value pretty damn well for a cheap guitar too. Craiglist is a good idea though, some people sell their crap for nothing because they dont know what its worth.
How much do you plan to beat on this guitar? How violent are you at gigs?
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
Quote by scoter man1
Hey everyone, I've decided it may be time for me to buy a beater. I'm sick and tired of walking into my music school and having people comment on my guitars as if I'm royalty/ richy rich when they merely used Gibsons. Plus I will be playing gigs pretty soon. I don't like the idea of putting my beloved guitars through the wringer. I've been thinking of getting an Epiphone G-400, but I really dont know what a good sounding cheap guitar is. I'm willing to change the pickups out on it, so I guess I'm just looking for a good quality body/neck.

Any ideas?

This is kind of retarded.

I mean come on, just because your smart enough to go for the real deal in the used department doesn't mean people should get mad and as a result you have downgrade for the people around not as smart.
Last edited by Funk Monk at Sep 13, 2010,
I'm about to go to University with a £1600 Ibanez, that i worked for, bought and paid for all myself. If kids' parents are poor and can only get them cheap guitars, maybe they should get off their arses and go and earn their own money rather than commenting on your gear.
Quote by scoter man1
So it doesnt get banged up or stolen.

Why bother having it if you're not gonna put it to good use?
Don't bang it up, don't let it get stolen.