Ok so first let me start by saying that if this is against the rules then close the thread. I read the rules and looked through the most recent pages and saw some threads like this, so I think they're allowed. Skip to the bottom for the short version.

Anyways. I'm in the market for a new amp. My gear right now is an Ibanez IJX40 guitar, a GTA15R amp, and a crybaby wah pedal. The guitar is good for a beginner, but the amp is garbage. It's my first setup, and I bought a jumpstart pack, because it was a pretty good deal, and really it's not a bad setup for a beginner. So the amp sounds pretty bad, and because of that I don't use it that much. I play your typical stuff. Rock, classic rock, metal, heavy metal, thrash, etc. My budget is about $200. I know it's not much, but I'm really strapped for cash, and this amp will only be used for practicing in my room.
I was looking at a Peavey Vypyr 30 watt. I can't afford a tube amp, and this has tons of built in effects, so I don't have to buy a bunch of pedals. I was wondering if you guys had a better recommendation for me.

Short version: By the way, I don't live near a guitar center, and all of the local guitar shops don't have a lot of stuff to play/test. So I can't really go and test a bunch of different amps.
What I'm looking for: Need new amp for bedroom practice. Want a lot of effects
Budget: $200 (I can go up to $240 for tax)
Guitar: Ibanez IJX40
Genres I play: Rock, classic rock, metal, heavy metal, thrash, etc.

Thanks ahead of time, and again if this is against the rules; sorry

EDIT: I don't live anywhere near a GC, and my local guitar shops barely have anything for sale, and it's all horribly overpriced. So I can't test any amps out myself, although I did test a Peavey Vypyr 75 watt tube and it was awesome.

WHERE IS MY PICK?
Last edited by DemonicTurtle66 at Sep 12, 2010,
$200 will get you jack all - save up, get a Peavey 6505+ 112. Best shit you'll ever play.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
For $200 that Vypyr is probably the best you're going to get. With that said it is a great little practice amp. It should be a good step up from what you have now.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
don't worry, you're not breaking any rules. you get bonus points for actually reading them.

i haven't tried the vypyr, but i imagine it'll do what you want. the roland cube 30x would also be worth considering if it's under budget (don't go for the 15 or 20, they have stompbox modelling, not amp modelling, whic is much worse).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dannnn_xD
$200 will get you jack all - save up, get a Peavey 6505+ 112. Best shit you'll ever play.

This is really about all I can save up. It's a long story, so just take my word for it
Besides, it's 60 watts and that is waaay more then enough for my bedroom, and it will be another 2 or 3 years before I need anything that powerful.

Quote by Death-Speak
For $200 that Vypyr is probably the best you're going to get. With that said it is a great little practice amp. It should be a good step up from what you have now.

That is good to hear. Thanks!

Quote by Dave_Mc

don't worry, you're not breaking any rules. you get bonus points for actually reading them.

i haven't tried the vypyr, but i imagine it'll do what you want. the roland cube 30x would also be worth considering if it's under budget (don't go for the 15 or 20, they have stompbox modeling, not amp modeling, whic is much worse).

The Roland was another option I was looking at, but I think I'm going to stick with the Peavey. Thanks for your input though. Also I think the Peavey has stombox modeling, so is that something I should avoid? I'm not sure if it has it or not.

WHERE IS MY PICK?
Last edited by DemonicTurtle66 at Sep 13, 2010,
oh no, that should be fine. I meant that the smaller rolands have stompbox modelling instead of amp modelling, the peavey has both.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Peavey Vypyr 30w

/thread

ps: I'm picking one up for $50 used from a friend, nothing wrong with it, just the amp is too confusing for him
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh no, that should be fine. I meant that the smaller rolands have stompbox modelling instead of amp modelling, the peavey has both.

Oh. Well that is good to hear lol.

Quote by Guitar baddie
Peavey Vypyr 30w

/thread

ps: I'm picking one up for $50 used from a friend, nothing wrong with it, just the amp is too confusing for him

Damn you're lucky. It's gonna cost me $200, but I counted all of the change in my change jar and I had $71, so I guess I'm really only paying $129. :P

WHERE IS MY PICK?
Quote by DemonicTurtle66
Oh. Well that is good to hear lol.

Damn you're lucky. It's gonna cost me $200, but I counted all of the change in my change jar and I had $71, so I guess I'm really only paying $129. :P

Yeah, I almost always go used, which saves me a bundle. That and I need a practice amp for when people are sleeping since t00b amps get loud.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90