Page 1 of 2
I've just recently came to realize something.

A few years ago, I thought shredding was the most awesome thing. Ever. Because of that, I devoted a vast majority of my practicing to improving my sweep picking, fast alternate picking, and legato. Now, I can "shred" easily, but I've realized that it's no longer impressive to me. Now I'm curious, has this happened to anybody else?
ya, the same thing happened to me awhile back. It's called the "burn out" period, which most guitarist have. But after a few months i started to realize that even though i could six string sweep and do some serious legato there was still more to learn. So i started to look into more bands and guitarist, like chris broderick/jeff loomis of nevermore and stevie ray vaughn, and started to figure out what difernt techiques they did and that made me get back in the groove.
yep. rarely ever listen to it now and am not impressed by it.

never took the time to learn it though. i'm more of a blues guy.

i havent seen one of these in a while, but whatever.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
I haven't been active here long enough to know if this is a thread that's introduced like..every day. Sorry about that :P
Quote by Aturaya
I haven't been active here long enough to know if this is a thread that's introduced like..every day. Sorry about that :P

it's no biggie, i just needed to get my ass-hole-ness out.

but fair warning, stuff like this likes to turn to a flame off

edit- welcome to the forum btw, we have donuts and coffee in the lobby.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
I think that tasteful shredders or shredders who put thought into the compositional nature of the piece(Satch, Vai, arguably Zappa, Gilbert, Johnson, etc.) are awesome, but I've always disliked that the huge influx of technical rock has left a lot of guitarists without a good sense of rhythm or knowledge of interesting chord voicings.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by necrosis1193
I think that tasteful shredders or shredders who put thought into the compositional nature of the piece(Satch, Vai, arguably Zappa, Gilbert, Johnson, etc.) are awesome, but I've always disliked that the huge influx of technical rock has left a lot of guitarists without a good sense of rhythm or knowledge of interesting chord voicings.

+1 to your sir, very nicely put
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
I enjoy shredding, and find it very fun. I can't do it that well yet, but I have fun attempting.

As for hearing it songs, I like it if it is "used right."

Good example: Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Guthrie Govan
Bad example: Dragonforce
Quote by necrosis1193

+1,111,111,111. While I respect the incredible effort people put into being able to shred, l fail to understand why so many of them want to shred like Yngwie instead of like Les Paul.
Since you can do it, it's no longer impressive.

You want to be impressed, get yourself on some Chet Atkins. The man was tearing shit up at a ridiculous level before the kids even cared.
Quote by necrosis1193
...but I've always disliked that the huge influx of technical rock has left a lot of guitarists without a good sense of rhythm or knowledge of interesting chord voicings.

My buddy can play Dream Theatre (or at least says he can) and plays all the Aerosmith riffs and solos's, but I had to show him what an F chord was. He's been playing at least a couple years longer than I have.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by Aturaya
I've just recently came to realize something.

A few years ago, I thought shredding was the most awesome thing. Ever. Because of that, I devoted a vast majority of my practicing to improving my sweep picking, fast alternate picking, and legato. Now, I can "shred" easily, but I've realized that it's no longer impressive to me. Now I'm curious, has this happened to anybody else?

This happens to a lot of people (me included)
a lot of my students have gone through the same thing
it's because after you get over the initial bewilderment of discovering malmsteen or whoever, you realize you would just rather listen to lady gaga.
Honestly...

Who cares if you can play blindingly fast if you can't make it sound good? To me it's not about the speed it's about how well it fits. If the situation calls for a shred solo, by all means, go ahead and use it. If it doesn't, don't.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
That's the annoying thing about electric guitar
the more technically proficient you get, the more you start to sound like you've called pizza pizza and have been put on hold
If it's tasteful then I don't mind it,but if it's a 5 minute block of masturbatory nonsense I tend to get annoyed.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Yngwie is pretty notoriously bad for just shred, shred, shred.
Listen to Marty Friedman if you want to hear it done right and tastefully
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by Pr0gNut
If it's tasteful then I don't mind it,but if it's a 5 minute block of masturbatory nonsense I tend to get annoyed.

sigged!
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Quote by necrosis1193

+1

I still love the shredders I've always liked, but there are a bunch of guys who seem to just be playing as fast as possible for the sake of it, and I don't like that at all.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I appreciate the skill involved with shredding, but on an emotional level I have never listened to that style for my own pleasure. Which means that I have never even attempted to learn to play like that as I think it sounds absolutely awful. Very skillful though.
Quote by ChucklesMginty

For the record I'm not an Yngwie fan bar a few songs (partly because he completed ruined G3.)

yeah, in hindsight they should have ordered a lot more food for the backstage area. Joe was in casts for weeks after collapsing and falling off the stage due to lack of food.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It has to be musical. I don't want to listen to Yngwie's masturbation for example. Buckethead, Ron Thal, Govan, Satriani etc. are "good" shredders.
Pretty much everything I have to say has been covered in this thread. Soul over technique, always, but there's nothing wrong with shredding. It's just a matter of crossing the line from compositional contribution and wankery.
Quote by archenemyfan
^

dave is getting funnier.....send me some of those joke pills naoooo

srsly, though, i love malmsteen. I mean it's subjective, one person's mindless shredding is another's soulful shredding...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AWACS
My buddy can play Dream Theatre (or at least says he can) and plays all the Aerosmith riffs and solos's, but I had to show him what an F chord was. He's been playing at least a couple years longer than I have.

That's just sad. My bandmate has to show me what like a Cm7b5 is, but ****, an F? That's depressing on a level I can't even fathom.

I think shred can work sometimes. If there's a melody, than I'll enjoy it. But a lot of JP's stuff, especially parts of Glasgow Kiss. The really super fast passage at the end? I hate it. But I LOVE the main theme and the 'verse' sections. But that's just me. I even dislike a couple Satch pieces because there's a little bit of wankery in it. If the artist is playing really fast, but if there's some sort of melody I can catch on to, I'll enjoy it. Example: Crazy Train solo. I know, cliche answer, but it's something that most people can hear in their heads without having to go find the track, and it's a perfect example of fast playing with a melody.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
If you think Malmsteen is just fast paced nonsense you must really hate the likes of Allan Holdsworth. I know when I first heard Holdsworth I though he just played random jibberish, that didn't however happen with Yngwie, or Dragonforce. Their shred is very melodic and catchy, but Holdsworth's takes time to really understand.

What I don't like is when guitarists masterbate up and down the fretboard and to climax they do a REALLY bad almost-out-of-tune bend at the end. Uhg.
I'm a huge Yngwie fan, anyone that thinks he lacks feel/melody, should listen to his Concerto suite for electric guitar- Live with the japan philharmonic ...or any of his ballads (Far Beyond The Sun, Like An Angel, Blue, etc..) , the guy is a genius..

Having said that I draw the line at guys like Francesco Fareri, that's what I'd call bad shred..sloppy, noisy crap with embarassingly out of tune bends/terrible vibrato technique..

I've been into shred for close to 15 years and it's never bored me at all..there's always new techniques to learn & new things to try out and theres nothing that says technique and melody/feel should'nt co-exist....most great shredders mix the two pretty effortlessly all the time.
Last edited by GodOfEmptyness at Sep 13, 2010,
I remember when I first discovered shredding, I was impressed by the level of skill and dedication. Now, I'm only impressed if I like it as a piece of music. I still can't shred, but I've kind of become desensitized to hearing raw technique. However, if it's used musically, then I'll be impressed.

There are thousands of people who can play really fast and precise, but not everyone can write something like Passion and Warfare.
Depends on what kind of shred you mean. Paul Gilbert and Marty Friedman, they impress me to no end. Loomis and Petrucci, not so much(I've honestly never heard a Loomis solo that I didn't find to be just sweepsweepmachinegunonthehighEsweepsweepmaybetap, and I just don't like Petrucci. Not to mention everyone and their dog worships the two.). I know I could never do any of it though. XD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I've never been big into shred

Like the 1st 3 minutes it's like WOWWWW HOLY SHIT

then after that it's kinda like ....ohhhh...do you do anything else?

A lot of shredders aren't good muscians. THey are one trick ponys who can just play fast. If you take them out of their comfort zone they are terrible.
There's only a rare few of people like Vai or Petrucci who not only are mind numbing shredders , but are also great guitarists.
Quote by GodOfEmptyness
I'm a huge Yngwie fan, anyone that thinks he lacks feel/melody, should listen to his Concerto suite for electric guitar- Live with the japan philharmonic ...or any of his ballads (Far Beyond The Sun, Like An Angel, Blue, etc..) , the guy is a genius..

Having said that I draw the line at guys like Francesco Fareri, that's what I'd call bad shred..sloppy, noisy crap with embarassingly out of tune bends/terrible vibrato technique..

I've been into shred for close to 15 years and it's never bored me at all..there's always new techniques to learn & new things to try out and theres nothing that says technique and melody/feel should'nt co-exist....most great shredders mix the two pretty effortlessly all the time.

That video/cd is awful. Yngwie's compositional techniques are as basic as it gets. First semester high school music theory stuff. Hardly worth being called genius. His compositions don't even resemble classical music except to someone who's never really listened to classical music. A lot of his lead lines are repetitive and simply ripped off from pieces by Paganini and Vivaldi which is what gives it a slightly classical feel.

Fareri is a million times worse though. Yngwie has his place in that sometimes you just want to listen to some all out madness on the guitar. Fareri isn't exactly sloppy when playing fast. His vibrato and bending technique are awful and he can't write a tune at all. He's flat out awful.

In spite of those criticisms, I think shred has its place just like any genre. Like everything there's a lot of bad and a bit of good so it takes some effort to find the good. Most people tend to lump all shredders into the Fareri/Michael Angelo Batio camp and that's just wrong.

Guys like Guthrie, Vai, Paul Gilbert, etc. are great. And they're great because they're versatile. They don't just play shred so they bring new and interesting things to the table. Kids who just think "Shredzors!!!1! OMG! I needz to play fazter cuz complicated is better! Simple stuff is teh suckzorz!" give the genre a bad name.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I'm going to give my elaboration on this.

First of all, shred is good if it is USED RIGHT.

A good solo shouldn't just be shredding. The whole thing should be written out and adequately planned, and not just scale wanking. There should be a good balance of shred and melodies.

While phrasing is important in melodies, it is also important in shredding. You still need to find the "right notes." Fast parts should be viewed as melodies, but with more notes inbetween. At least thats how I see it.

Good examples of this are Guthrie Govan, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, etc. Their solos have fast parts, melodic parts, and good phrasing.

Second of all, shredding has its place.

Think about it. If you are listening to a fast paced, heavy song, fast playing fits the music perfectly. A slow bluesy solo would sound out of place. Meanwhile, fast playing would be a buzzkill if you were listening to a ballad or a slower song.

Therefore, I believe that shredding sounds good depending on "how its used," who is playing it, and when it is being used.
Quote by Aturaya
A few years ago, I thought shredding was the most awesome thing. Ever. Because of that, I devoted a vast majority of my practicing to improving my sweep picking, fast alternate picking, and legato. Now, I can "shred" easily, but I've realized that it's no longer impressive to me.

next step, pull up the tab to "tamacun".

have fun!
Learning shred is like learning how to become a professional race car driver.

Even if you end up driving on local streets all the time in a minivan with your kids, the skills you learn on the track will still be useful. Knowing the limits of your car, having better situational awareness and peripheral vision, knowing about the physics of accelerating/braking/traction, etc. is VERY important on a track, but will undoubtedly still come in handy in the event you need to use them on the street. Hit a patch of black ice? You'll know what to do.

Sweep picking, tapping, and crazy acrobatics also have their place even if you're not playing shred for the sake of shredding. They can still be tastefully thrown into songs of other genres if you know when/how to apply them.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Last edited by DrNick at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by TMF128
I'm going to give my elaboration on this.

First of all, shred is good if it is USED RIGHT.

A good solo shouldn't just be shredding. The whole thing should be written out and adequately planned, and not just scale wanking. There should be a good balance of shred and melodies.

While phrasing is important in melodies, it is also important in shredding. You still need to find the "right notes." Fast parts should be viewed as melodies, but with more notes inbetween. At least thats how I see it.

Good examples of this are Guthrie Govan, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, etc. Their solos have fast parts, melodic parts, and good phrasing.

Second of all, shredding has its place.

Think about it. If you are listening to a fast paced, heavy song, fast playing fits the music perfectly. A slow bluesy solo would sound out of place. Meanwhile, fast playing would be a buzzkill if you were listening to a ballad or a slower song.

Therefore, I believe that shredding sounds good depending on "how its used," who is playing it, and when it is being used.

+1

Quote by DrNick
Learning shred is like learning how to become a professional race car driver.

Even if you end up driving on local streets all the time in a minivan with your kids, the skills you learn on the track will still be useful. Knowing the limits of your car, having better situational awareness and peripheral vision, knowing about the physics of accelerating/braking/traction, etc. is VERY important on a track, but will undoubtedly still come in handy in the event you need to use them on the street. Hit a patch of black ice? You'll know what to do.

Sweep picking, tapping, and crazy acrobatics also have their place even if you're not playing shred for the sake of shredding. They can still be tastefully thrown into songs of other genres if you know when/how to apply them.

also +1

Much as I don't want to quote teh hammster (i think it was him), he made a good point- [paraphrased] "it's better to have it and decide not to use it than not to have it and be unable to use it"
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So we are back in a full circle to the time tested conclusion of 'good music is good and bad music is bad'.
Quote by Enix165
Depends on what kind of shred you mean. Paul Gilbert and Marty Friedman, they impress me to no end. Loomis and Petrucci, not so much(I've honestly never heard a Loomis solo that I didn't find to be just sweepsweepmachinegunonthehighEsweepsweepmaybetap, and I just don't like Petrucci. Not to mention everyone and their dog worships the two.). I know I could never do any of it though. XD

Loomis is the man, dude. Listen to the solo in the song Born. I love that solo.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
My thoughts on shredding: as a whole, it depends on how its done. just the aspect of playing boring arpeggios and throwing in some sweeps here and there, its boring. personally, I can never get tired of listening to vai, satch, PG and jason becker. lets take vai. His shredding in most cases isnt really shredding. its different and interesting. plus theres the little nuances in his playing style and music that really makes it a totally different experience to listen to. and his legato technique is flawless. same goes for satch, but technically, its not as impressive. satch's shredding has more groove to it. it matches the songs very well and doesnt have a lot of emphasis put into it as much as the song itself. Now becker is like malmsteen but has way way way more emotion put into it. he could make somebody cry just by playing neoclassical arpeggios. he turned shredding into music with feeling....at least to me. PG shreds the normal way, id say. what makes his playing stand out to me is the fact that he doesnt over do the legato or staccato. Its a perfect balance of the two. that combined with the different tones he gets with the pick angles he uses (curse of castle dragon, to be with you) makes his music something I can never get tired of hearing.
So shred is good. I can shred, but not exceptionally. It keeps me occupied and never bored. Its also a driving force for me to get better because im only roughly 2 years into playing with heavy practice. Maybe when I get better, itll get a little boring, but it wont turn into something I wouldnt even consider doing. even if it does, i can still take up flamenco (which i suck at).
LTD Deluxe H1001Fr STBC
Modded Fender Stratocaster HSS mexican
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Takamine G340SC Acoustic
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Carvin Legacy 2
Dunlop 535Q crybaby wah
Whirlwind A/B Selector
Quote by Vlasco
So we are back in a full circle to the time tested conclusion of 'good music is good and bad music is bad'.

yeah, pretty much
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2