So guitar has been a major part of my life for the past 4 years. Its the one thing I can turn to when I'm down.

When I was about 3 years old I was diagnosed with "Trevor Disease", an extremely rare bone disorder, in my right arm. Basically benign cartilage was growing rampant on the ball socket of my shoulder. It didn't affect me in the least until freshman year of high school when I had to give up on everything that mattered to me- basketball and football. It sucked but it was totally out of my control. I started to loose the ability to raise my hand above my head and pain was an every day thing. It tore me apart into depression. But because of losing sports, I picked up a guitar and poured my emotions out through that.

When I was 16 I had my shoulder completely replaced with a metal ball and a metal rod down my humerus. It was a shitty recovery and I became addicted to pain killers, another thing that would haunt me. The shittiest part was I always felt it was such a pathetic and laughable disease. Because of it my humerus in my right arm is 2 inches shorter than it should be. It is really only noticeable to people if I point it out, but it has made me very self conscious and has hindered my relationships.

Now as far as guitar goes, will it hold me back so bad that I can never make it a serious thing? My strumming arm posture obviously isn't normal but it seems to work just fine for what I do now. But once I get into more serious playing styles will it really hold me back? Thank you for reading this whole story if you did ha, it would mean a lot to me to hear your guys' thoughts. Thank you.
I doubt it will. Everyone is different, and as long as you still have that arm you should be able to make most styles work for you. Hell, you don't even need your right arm to still play, many people stick to just their left with crazy tapping shit

Quote by guylee
this is not a very humerus situation.

Rush Rocks

Quote by Braiton
If Beiber is our generation's Cobain I can't see how that is a bad thing.
Just make sure the shotgun is loaded.
sory im abit druuink but ther are some good haicapd guitarits tony iommi, django.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

I'm assuming that you play guitar right handed. In that case, there isn't a whole lot that should hinder you.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Well as long as your shoulder doesn't get any worse, you should be fine. I've seem people play without a right arm, very well.

Maybe these guys will help you push on, inspire you to keep playing and practicing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-LLUJVYNV0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9-7MKvh_a0

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
You know how to move your arm, correct? I think you'll be just fine.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
as long as the way you're playing is comfortable and not damaging, I'm sure you'll be fine. our species is known for our adaptation skills.
dude that sucks, i feel bad for ya bro .
i think you'll be able to keep playing.

It could be worse, like my dads friend was a professional touring jazz musician and like 10 years ago he got diagnosed with MS. and he can like hardly play and he absolutely loved playing, he had like 30 guitars or something like that. and he gigged all the time. now he really only plays when i go and jam with him.

so just be positive and try hard, and remember that you can keep playing if ya want to.
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Quote by RedHotChillyPop
Thank you for making me smile

You're awesome, dude. I was expecting butthurt all up in this bitch after that.

No, I don't think it will hinder you much. You could invent a new way of play the guitar, who knows? You just have to make the best of the situation you're in. Like if life gives you lemons, you paint that shit gold.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Thank you guys so much for your responses. It really helps to hear some positive stuff for once. I don't know if you guys can understand really how much your words mean to me. Thank you all so much and I will keep on pushing to become the best I can be.
nah dude, there's an armless cellist at my school who plays with his feet. and my brother plays drums and he only has one hand and he used to be sponsored by mapex and meinl.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
theirs no reason to quit dude.. the only thing thats stopping you is you right now..yeah i mean eventually it could stop you from it but you dont know if it will or not so just go for it
I think you will be ok. Just like with anyone else...just practice. A friend of mine's spine is fused. The easiest explanation is that he really doesn't have a neck. He started coming over to watch my band practice and really enjoyed watching us play, so one day, he went out and bought a guitar. He came over to my house one day, out of the blue, and asked me if I could teach him how to play it. It hasn't been an easy task...he can't look to see if his fingering is correct. He has really had to work on the way he sits and holds the guitar to get in a comfortable position. But, he is doing it. Thats the big thing from it is getting into a position that will make it work.
There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams, except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but in the ocean of reality.

I'm back!
You should be able to find a way around it, if you're creative enough. I have a deformed right hand, only has two fingers. Because the palm is smaller it makes palm muting fast very difficult, but if I work on it enough I can get it down. You may have to practice harder than others, an do some unconventional stuff, but it should work.

this guy right here, Les Paul, could not bend his right elbow. at all. it was fixed into place. He continued to play up until he died even with fingers so crippled by arthritis that he could not bend them.

That shit definitely should not be stopping you from playing guitar.

EDIT: My example seems kind of lame in comparison to the dude with no arms AT ALL.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by RedHotChillyPop
So guitar has been a major part of my life for the past 4 years. Its the one thing I can turn to when I'm down.

When I was about 3 years old I was diagnosed with "Trevor Disease", an extremely rare bone disorder, in my right arm. Basically benign cartilage was growing rampant on the ball socket of my shoulder. It didn't affect me in the least until freshman year of high school when I had to give up on everything that mattered to me- basketball and football. It sucked but it was totally out of my control. I started to loose the ability to raise my hand above my head and pain was an every day thing. It tore me apart into depression. But because of losing sports, I picked up a guitar and poured my emotions out through that.

When I was 16 I had my shoulder completely replaced with a metal ball and a metal rod down my humerus. It was a shitty recovery and I became addicted to pain killers, another thing that would haunt me. The shittiest part was I always felt it was such a pathetic and laughable disease. Because of it my humerus in my right arm is 2 inches shorter than it should be. It is really only noticeable to people if I point it out, but it has made me very self conscious and has hindered my relationships.

Now as far as guitar goes, will it hold me back so bad that I can never make it a serious thing? My strumming arm posture obviously isn't normal but it seems to work just fine for what I do now. But once I get into more serious playing styles will it really hold me back? Thank you for reading this whole story if you did ha, it would mean a lot to me to hear your guys' thoughts. Thank you.

Have you ever Watched Marty Friedman play guitar?

It looks like his picking hand is twisted out of it's place.

Well, instead of using the arm itself...try using your palm, I dont strum with my arm at all, it's all palm motion.

I am thankful for sharing this story with us, I hope you will be able to play the guitar proparly.

Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by Guitar0player
Have you ever Watched Marty Friedman play guitar?

It looks like his picking hand is twisted out of it's place.

Well, instead of using the arm itself...try using your palm, I dont strum with my arm at all, it's all palm motion.

I am thankful for sharing this story with us, I hope you will be able to play the guitar proparly.

Thank you, that was very sweet of you to say
Quote by RedHotChillyPop
Thank you, that was very sweet of you to say

You're welcome hun :3
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

this guy right here could not bend his right elbow. at all. it was fixed into place. He continued to play up until he died even with fingers so crippled by arthritis that he could not bend them.

That shit definitely should not be stopping you from playing guitar.

EDIT: My example seems kind of lame in comparison to the dude with no arms AT ALL.

Hey man, I actually really like that example because I can relate to it way more. Thanks for sharing it with me, believe me it helps a lot. That dude with no arms is on another level and he just sends the most positive vibes, its truly awesome.
I'm sure it's been said already, but there are many guitarists who are far more proficient than you [and I] will ever be who are at a much greater disadvantage than you.
I can't see any reason why having a handicap like that is going to make that much of a difference. People play with missing fingers or hands (or arms!) and they manage just fine. And that includes professional musicians.

as long as you feel comfortable playing guitar in a certain way, go for it. I have a loose ligament problem which means that I can barely pluck or fret some days, and learning to play bass was a painful experience (literally). I made it easier by having VERY low action which allows me to play one-handed if my plucking hand (my left) is weak some days.
Last edited by Fassa Albrecht at Sep 13, 2010,
"Trevor Disease" seems like a funny name for a terrible disease.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Don't be disheartened, there's many, many different ways to play the guitar, even though most people seem to pick and strum in the "usual" way, there's many, many awesome, notable players who made their own unique style due to a disability. Jeff Healey was blind, for example, and plays in what I'd call an unorthodox style, but it sounds incredible!

You can do it, dude!