Short-and-sweet; In contrast to my previous topic with a power cap of 40W tube, after discussing things with those who'll have to deal with the sound, I feel like I'm going to need something lower-wattage to get a good sound.

Basic needs;

~No more than $750 please.
~Low wattage. 15W at absolute most, and even then a switchable output a la the Vox Night Train or the Tiny Terror would be a huge plus.
~Clean tones. I love cranking things up to get the tubes really cooking for that beautiful, beautiful natural overdrive, but at the end of the day, I take the David Gilmour approach; A round, warm clean from my amp, and I'll let my hands, guitar and pedals take care of the rest.
~Relating to the above, it needs to take pedals well.
~I'm looking for a round, warm clean. I'll be putting a mahogany guitar with humbuckers in it soon, I don't want it to turn to mud when I do, but I've always preferred a warm, deep Fendery clean to a snappy, punchy Vox clean.
~Preferably a combo, but if a a cab(I'm willing to go down to 112 if need-be) can also be had within the budget for both, it'll be fine.
~Current guitar is a telecaster, but sometime this week a mahogany Carvin with PAF-voiced humbuckers will be coming, so I need something that, set right, can be friendly to twang and roar.

As always, anything and everything is appreciated.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by Linqua5150

i own a tweaker and dont completely agree, dont take it wrong, i like it's cleans, and it will give you versatile cleans, but there are better cleans out there in that price range.

i have been looking the last few minutes, hopefully I will find something.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Linqua5150

A bit out of my pricerange, however with those controls I can probably expand it a bit. Just need to try one next time I go to GC...

Quote by BrokenDstring
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Custom-AC15C1-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105806491-i1517163.gc

Not saying you should buy from GC but i've heard VERY good things about this amp and it seems to fill your needs pretty well.

I've actually always liked Vox's line to be honest, but I'm not sure if it'll be bassy enough for what I need. That said though, my like of their amps combined with the price is enough to get me to try it once the Carvin arrives.

Quote by FatalGear41
Take a look at the Carvin Vintage 16/5 1x12 combo:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=VINTAGE16

I was actually considering that a while back, but I'm a bit cautious of buying an amp without trying, especially since I'm not positive about whether their 10-day guarantee covers amps(Does it?).

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i own a tweaker and dont completely agree, dont take it wrong, i like it's cleans, and it will give you versatile cleans, but there are better cleans out there in that price range.

i have been looking the last few minutes, hopefully I will find something.

Thanks for the firsthand account of the Egnater. And let me know what you find; The more the merrier.

If your mainly interested in cleans, why limit yourself to only 15 watts? I wasn't aware that the clean channel sounded any better at high volumes, unless it overdrives. And that is apparently something you don't want.

The egnater has decent cleans, but they aren't very deep. It is just your basic run of the mill, thin clean sound.
Quote by patriotplayer90
If your mainly interested in cleans, why limit yourself to only 15 watts? I wasn't aware that the clean channel sounded any better at high volumes, unless it overdrives. And that is apparently something you don't want.

Because my Fender, with the master at 1.5 and the preamp at 4, has three modes; Off, loud, and more loud. If that's 15W, I don't want to see 30 for now.

The egnater has decent cleans, but they aren't very deep. It is just your basic run of the mill, thin clean sound.

Well, that's depressing. Even with the bass high?

Have you checked out Blackhearts? The 15/7watt Handsome Devil and 5/3watt Little Giant might be worth looking at.

E:
Maybe a bit low in your price range, but if you see one, try it - more money to spend on pedals(or gas or rent or whatever things responsible people spend money on).
Last edited by Sir Anonymous at Sep 13, 2010,
its a little bit more wattage you want and i have never heard one in person but have always been very curious. Peavey Delta Blues 1x15". it would be nice and bassy and nice and deep. i am listening to a demo as we speak and sounds pretty good. it is two channel with reverb and opt. tremolo. however, i am not sure if its clean enough for you. its $650 and potentially worth looking into.

i will keep looking.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Edit^ If I can make room for the Egnater, I can make room for that. Will look up some clips myself.

Quote by Sir Anonymous
Have you checked out Blackhearts? The 15/7watt Handsome Devil and 5/3watt Little Giant might be worth looking at.

I've always heard they're based on Marshalls, and I've always felt the clean sound of most Marshall amps is a bit lacking, is such the case for these too?

Quote by necrosis1193
Because my Fender, with the master at 1.5 and the preamp at 4, has three modes; Off, loud, and more loud. If that's 15W, I don't want to see 30 for now.

Well, that's depressing. Even with the bass high?

Yes i agree that you can do much better in that price range. It is just a thin sounding amp in general. I couldn't tell you which amps in that price range have nice cleans because those aren't my main priority, surely someone else can though.
that wattage restriction is really going to limit your options. honestly, to find the right thing, IMO the wattage or price may need to go up.

the only amps that are near that wattage in the range that i can think of off of the top of my hear are the Tweaker, Orange tiny terror (definitely not the solution at all, just bringing up for the wattage) Egnater Rebel 20, Fender Blues JR. Fender Pro Jr. or the Marshall Class Five (which may not be enough, but doesn't sound great at all). also all of the watts lower than 15 watts probably dont have enough headroom.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I was actually considering that a while back, but I'm a bit cautious of buying an amp without trying, especially since I'm not positive about whether their 10-day guarantee covers amps(Does it?).

Yes, their guarantee covers amplifiers and their customer service is second to none.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by patriotplayer90
Yes i agree that you can do much better in that price range. It is just a thin sounding amp in general. I couldn't tell you which amps in that price range have nice cleans because those aren't my main priority, surely someone else can though.

Oh well then, I suppose for now I'll put it out of mind. And no worries; I'm aware low-wattage tube amps made to be clean are uncommon.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
that wattage restriction is really going to limit your options. honestly, to find the right thing, IMO the wattage or price may need to go up.

the only amps that are near that wattage in the range that i can think of off of the top of my hear are the Tweaker, Orange tiny terror (definitely not the solution at all, just bringing up for the wattage) Egnater Rebel 20, Fender Blues JR. Fender Pro Jr. or the Marshall Class Five (which may not be enough, but doesn't sound great at all). also all of the watts lower than 15 watts probably dont have enough headroom.

Hmm...Well, if it has a controllable master and/or a switchable wattage, I can probably go up to 30.

Quote by FatalGear41

Yes, their guarantee covers amplifiers and their customer service is second to none.

Already knew about the customer service mate, I've got a guitar arriving from them in the next two or three days. And that being the case then, if none of the in-store amps wow me, that one takes the cake.

maybe with a budget stretch a used Egnater Renegade? they have an 18 watt option, and i absolutely love the cleans with mine. both channels can actually do a good clean, although the second channel's clean is a little more dirtier. you could have the best of both worlds, EL34 and 6L6's, one channel set to each, and have two light cleans, or one with clean the other with light dirt.

IMHO the best product egnater has made by far is the Renegade.

there is one for $1000 used on MF at the moment.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by necrosis1193
I've always heard they're based on Marshalls, and I've always felt the clean sound of most Marshall amps is a bit lacking, is such the case for these too?

I don't personally find it lacking, but I can't tell you what you like. I haven't played around too much with Marshalls, so I shouldn't say anything about that.

I found this video for you, shows off some of the the clean sounds a bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYj1_3A5ock
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I don't personally find it lacking, but I can't tell you what you like. I haven't played around too much with Marshalls, so I shouldn't say anything about that.

I found this video for you, shows off some of the the clean sounds a bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYj1_3A5ock

i would say the cleans on the tweaker are better than the blackheart in that video.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would say the cleans on the tweaker are better than the blackheart in that video.

I should probably mention that I am having a hard time finding vids that show off the cleans. Everyone likes to show off the delicious overdrive.
I wouldn't call that video wholly representative of the cleans, because I generally get different cleans that are brighter - but I play a pretty bright guitar. It might be something that you'll have to check in store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcvtxIeOO_Y
Is another clean demo, but of the 15watt. The quality isn't really that great though.
Randall Rm20 with a Blackface module...

Epiphone Valve Junior?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
If you want cleans and don’t need volume check out the Valvetronix amps. You’ll get a huge range of cleans, they take pedals just fine, and volume just isn’t an issue.
Quote by Shinozoku
Randall Rm20 with a Blackface module...

Epiphone Valve Junior?

I'm actually a fan of the cleans i've heard from the Valve Senior, which is my suggestion.
Maybe a blues jr.... with an OD or distortion pedal for your gain needs? You can get both for probably $550ish new.