I was thinking about getting a new guitar amp head, possibly a Reeves (almost the same as hiwatt) or a Dr. Z. Would an Avatar cab sound any good? And aslo what is the best speaker combo for blues, rock?
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Avatar cabs are reputedly very good and the few that I've seen and played through were great. I actually plan on selling my Mesa cab to fund myself for a new rig, which will include an Avatar cab.

The reason they are cheaper than other great cabs like Orange/Mesa/etc. is because you buy straight from them - there's no middle man to worry about so they can sell great products for cheapish.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
They're cheap, alot more customizable than other cabs, and they are nice guys at Avatar. I haven't compared them to other cabs, but they sure sound good.
yea man avatar cabs are legit you pick your own speakers and design and everything. i also plan on getting an avatar. a competitor which makes very very nice custom cabs would be emperor but theyd be more expensive, however they make you a cab however you want, design, wood, color, speakers the works.

EDIT: cant go wrong with celestion vintage 30s/eminence governors
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Yeah, avatars are nice. I would put 2 vintage 30's and 2 greenbacks in your cab. Would be perfect, to my ear that is. It's my favourite combo.
I have an avatar 4X12 with V30's and G12H30's in it

it sounds amazing since the speakers cover the whole range and make it have an overall great sound for pretty much every style of music

there is only one downside

with that combination the cab's load capacity is only 120 watts, so with a 120 watt head there could be issues at higher volumes, but you could get 2 V30 and 2 GK100's which sound very similar to the G12H30's but have a much higher rating for load, so the cab's rating would jump to 240 watts since the V30's would be the lowest rated speaker

hope that helps
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
I would only be getting 18 through 50 Watts of Power.

What is the difference between closed backs, and open backs?
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Last edited by kracdown at Sep 13, 2010,
Your getting an 18 watt amp, and going to use a 50 watt speaker?

Allot of the Z-Boys use Avatar cabs, and I have only seen positive posts about them.
I went for the Dr's Cabs, but they are rather pricey.

On your question about open -vs- closed backs, the answer is focused sound with more driving bass in closed back cabs, and a more 'open, fill the room' kind of sound with open back.

The speaker you select may also help you decide on open or closed back too...

Example: You normally see guys put their Celestion Blue speakers in open back cabs to let the highs ring out better.

I opted to run with the panel off, to let my Blue breathe a bit...

FYI - If that 18 watt amp your looking at is the Maz Jr, you might want to give this thread a look.
http://drzamplifiers.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=maz18&action=display&thread=30034
It has lots of info in it that you might like to know.
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Sep 14, 2010,