I've been meaning to learn a bit of slide recently and I was just wondering what I should look for in a good slide? Brands? Materials, chrome plated, brass, etc. I don't really want to go out and buy a cheapo one then want to replace it with something better later.
And I understand I'll want to raise my action a fair bit? I'll be using my Epiphone Dot most likely.
Thanks in advance guys.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
The most important tip I can give you is make sure you get one that fits good, it is really hard to play with one that is too lose. Make sure its snug on the main finger you will use it on.

Glass vs Brass comes down to tone:

Brass is brighter
Glass is Warmer

There are more exotic materials too, just experiment with store display models.

Thicker slider = thicker tone

Raising the action will help, but is not 100% needed, esp. if it is your only guitar or you want to play normal while using it.
the thick ceramic ones are nice and warm imo. side by side a few in the store to get a sense of the differences.

and yes, fit is very important. too loose or too tight will just piss you off when you practice.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I will also add fit it the only thing you really need to worry about... Usually they're displayed on little wooden rods, at least at the mom & pop stores I've gone to. You should try some out to see which tone you like the best, and go with that.

Or, if you're planning on getting into slide, buy both brass & glass.
Slides are completely dependent on comfort. A lot of people will talk about the tonal differences between ceramic, glass, and brass, but for it it's always been a playabilty issue. I just can't play slide the same with a thin brass slide versus a thick glass one.

Get a couple different types, fart around with them, and see which one you like the best. It's as simpl as that.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by gregs1020
the thick ceramic ones are nice and warm imo. side by side a few in the store to get a sense of the differences.

and yes, fit is very important. too loose or too tight will just piss you off when you practice.

+1, i really like ceramic too. Not too fussed on brass, glass is nice though- i think i prefer warmer ones.

I'm useless at slide though
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?