Mkay guys. I'm upgrading very soon to a new guitar and a new amp (hopefully). Right now I'm playing an old custom strat that my mom got when she was 12 (The dude who used to make Mick Mars' guitars made it) and Spider III 100 watt piece of crap. Soon, I'm getting an Epiphone G400 (tried it out, loved it, love the tone, pick ups, feel, etc.) but I don't know what kind of amp to get. I play stoner metal, doom metal, sludge metal, and I know I'm probably going to need a pedal. I'm looking for half stacks or micro stacks. Under $700 would be nice. Not looking to gig or anything, just something to get better on. =]

Please and thank you.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Peavey 6505 1x12 combo
Used Peavey JSX combo (I play prog metal on a 7 with mine without needing a pedal)

I'd list more,but I'm half asleep at the moment.Trust me when I say halfstacks and microstacks at that price range are a bit meh,and a tube combo would be a better choice for easy of transport and the space it takes up.The two I listed can get really loud,and have great high gain channels,but the JSX is larger with more features and versatility and an overall better sound IMO.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Buy the guitar then pack it up and go amp shopping. Testing out an amp with a in store guitar makes no sense. Take your own guitar and you will find the amp that fits your needs as far as sound.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Silverface Fenders and JCM900's have pretty much been the kings of the stoner genre for a while now. If you want the Corrosion of Conformity or early Soundgarden sound, go with the Marshall. If you want a sludgier drone, get a Fender tube amp and run it with a Big Muff Pi. The latter is what I use for the genre, and it's about the grossest, sludgiest muck you can imagine.
Quote by rooster456
Silverface Fenders and JCM900's have pretty much been the kings of the stoner genre for a while now. If you want the Corrosion of Conformity or early Soundgarden sound, go with the Marshall. If you want a sludgier drone, get a Fender tube amp and run it with a Big Muff Pi. The latter is what I use for the genre, and it's about the grossest, sludgiest muck you can imagine.

I know about the Big Muff Pi, for the effect. But I'm talking about Witch, Kyuss, Bongzilla, Sleep. That kind of sludge stoner music.

Something like this is what I'm looking for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5von-_FI0U

Edit:
I noticed in the music video, their guitarist is playing an SG. Perfect. ^_^
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Last edited by Nolanrox at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by Nolanrox
I know about the Big Muff Pi, for the effect. But I'm talking about Witch, Kyuss, Bongzilla, Sleep. That kind of sludge stoner music.

Something like this is what I'm looking for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5von-_FI0U

Edit:
I noticed in the music video, their guitarist is playing an SG. Perfect. ^_^

I know those bands very well. You want gritty grit grit. Look for a Fender.
Quote by rooster456

A Fender combo amp?

Edit:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-III-40W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=H12889
Would this work?
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Last edited by Nolanrox at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by rooster456

Wat? The vast majority of stoner bands used dark british voiced amps.

I'll give you marshall, but fender? Again, wat?

Orange
Matamp
Electric Amps
Laney
Sunn
Ampeg
Sound City
Hiwatt
Sovtek

Have a look on ebay for some good deals.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laney-AOR-50-50w-amp-head-/250695453158?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3a5e9d09e6
Last edited by beckyjc at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by beckyjc
Wat? The vast majority of stoner bands used dark british voiced amps.

I'll give you marshall, but fender? Again, wat?

Orange
Matamp
Electric Amps
Laney
Sunn
Ampeg
Sound City
Hiwatt
Sovtek

Have a look on ebay for some good deals.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laney-AOR-50-50w-amp-head-/250695453158?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3a5e9d09e6

I'm in the States. =\
No British ebay for me.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Well, I'd like a combo amp, not just a head. I'm not gigging or anything, but I'd like something that would be gig worthy if I ever did gig (probably not going to happen though). But a nice combo amp that can take pedals. Also, which Big Muff Pi should I get?
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92