Page 1 of 3
I kinda got a stink started up on the news forum that's talkin bout slash's new release. I decided to start this thread cuz over there was not the proper place for this kind of discussion. A couple of guys ( galvatron, vacuity ) seem to think that Slash has no more talent than any regular studio musician or some racket makin kid down in the basement. I am a huge Slash fan and I find those kinds of views very insulting, not only to me as a fan but also to the talent that's makin the music in the first place. I GUESS WHAT i WANT TO KNOW IS; What's your take on Slash; What do you think of his playing,style, technique. Am I just some dumbass who doesn't know shit about music and Slash CAN'T play or is it that these guys are the real dumbasses who don't know sheep shit from shinola. Look I understand everyone has their favorites,but to say Slash can't play is just plain WRONG...
He is an awesome guitarist, I mean who else could have created Welcome to the Jungle or Paradise City. But he does abuse the blues scale a bit too much.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
"Can't play" - No.

"Exceptionally talented" - No.
Genius may have its limitations; stupidity is not thus handicapped.
He can play but isn't a technical wizz.
What it's about, he knows who to create catchy songs and that's what counts
He does use the blues scale mostly but people seem to forget that he often uses Harmonic Minor (Double Talkin' Jive, American Man) in his solos as well as different modes! He's a very good guitarist.
Of course he can play, but he's famous for being a song writer, not a guitarist. A session guitarist could easily come into the studio and record one of Slash's solo's and you would never know.
slash is awesome and a great player. his playing and solos are very melodic and generally pretty good. he also has the inability to write shit music
They don't think he's good because he doesn't sweep.

Seriously. Nowadays, kids think the only skill one can have when playing an instrument is speed.

Lol...
Slash in my mind is up there, with the elities. No he's not the most skilled in terms of sure speed and technique but I don't judge players on that.

ANYBODY can play with speed and sweep if they set their heart on it. Where as NOT EVERYBODY can sit down and write so many amazing songs which most of the mass population like.

November Rain outro much?
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
Quote by JonnyH
Where as NOT EVERYBODY can sit down and write so many amazing songs which most of the mass population like.

Neither can Slash.

I don't see your point.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Apparently, Slash has found some sort of youth fountain and joined a band called Escape The Fate.

He even picked up drumming!

Quote by Guitar Sushi
Of course he can play, but he's famous for being a song writer, not a guitarist. A session guitarist could easily come into the studio and record one of Slash's solo's and you would never know.

Dude, Izzys the songwriter, Slash is known for his skills with guitar. Slash can create decent songs, with a good one every once in awhile, going by his solo cd. He needs a songwriter like Izzy and Izzy needs a player like Slash. Not that Izzy is a bad guitarist by any means. Sure Slash can't play 20,0034345334 notes a second but he plays melodic bluesy solos that actually mean something.
^What do they mean?
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by TopHatCharlie
haters gon hate.

+1

hes one of my favorites. I hate the people who say he sucks. Not being a million note per sec shredder doesn't equal being bad...
He's one of my all time least favourite musicians.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Incredibly overrated.

Sure, he can play the blues scale and write a few riffs, but he's not exactly the most adept composer or guitar player.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by nashawa
^What do they mean?

Well theres feeling behind the notes, passion and all that fun stuff. One heartfelt note means more to me than a generic sweep or what ever the **** its called.
Quote by aerosmith513
Well theres feeling behind the notes, passion and all that fun stuff. One heartfelt note means more to me than a generic sweep or what ever the **** its called.

I know where you're coming from but...
That's an attitute a lot of guitar plays have that i rather dislike.
For some reason blues scale with lots of bending = SO MUCH EMOTION (rather vague use of emotion there) and everything else is just showing off...that's clearly not the case though. I mean i'm not a huge fan of 'shred', nor do i dislike people who play sorta rocky bluesy solos, because i love em. I just think so many different ways of play can express so many different emotions.
Quote by aerosmith513

You can't put emotion into a sound frequency. The emotion is in the listener, not the musician. His solo's don't objectively "mean" anything.

But if you get that much meaning and emotion out of the pentatonic scale at mid-tempo with the odd bend, then I can only assume that you regularly jump around filled with elation or sink to your knees weeping in despair depending on the song that's on the radio in a shop.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by aerosmith513
Dude, Izzys the songwriter, Slash is known for his skills with guitar. Slash can create decent songs, with a good one every once in awhile, going by his solo cd. He needs a songwriter like Izzy and Izzy needs a player like Slash. Not that Izzy is a bad guitarist by any means. Sure Slash can't play 20,0034345334 notes a second but he plays melodic bluesy solos that actually mean something.

I'm not really talking about the songs but the solo. Like the Sweet Child o' Mine is really good imho and Slash does deserve some props for that. I think it's also worth mentioning that the level of skill needed for Slash's stuff can be easily replicated by a studio musician.
Quote by Guitar Sushi
I'm not really talking about the songs but the solo. Like the Sweet Child o' Mine is really good imho and Slash does deserve some props for that. I think it's also worth mentioning that the level of skill needed for Slash's stuff can be easily replicated by a studio musician.

True, but to me Izzy was the heart of GNR, even though to me you need Duff, Axl, Izzy, Slash and Steven to make up the real GNR (I think Chinese Democracy is awesome though).

I've been a die hard GNR fan for 5 or 6 years now. Cant believe its been that long. Thought i was seeing slash tonight too, but i got the dates mixed up, its tomorrow night.
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
I know where you're coming from but...
That's an attitute a lot of guitar plays have that i rather dislike.
For some reason blues scale with lots of bending = SO MUCH EMOTION (rather vague use of emotion there) and everything else is just showing off...that's clearly not the case though. I mean i'm not a huge fan of 'shred', nor do i dislike people who play sorta rocky bluesy solos, because i love em. I just think so many different ways of play can express so many different emotions.

Thank god somebody got it right. I get annoyed by so many people assuming that if you don't like a particular guitar player who doesn't appear to shred, you must be some sort of shred freak that doesn't understand emotive guitar playing. Happens a lot with certain guitarists too e.g. John Frusciante.

Anyway, on topic, I think Slash is reasonably talented, but I'm not a big fan of his modern playing. Really only like his stuff from Appetite and a random song here and there.
Quote by nashawa
Neither can Slash.

I don't see your point.

Ignorance.

Well, to be fair It's not like the whole of his work is pure genius and no ones is. But you can't deny that most people know most of his riths/solos and they're bloody catchy.

I agree with over rated but hey. They don't get that popular by chance. He just appeals more to the mass public. Doesn't mean they're more talented.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
Quote by JonnyH
Ignorance.

Well, to be fair It's not like the whole of his work is pure genius and no ones is. But you can't deny that most people know most of his riths/solos and they're bloody catchy.

I agree with over rated but hey. They don't get that popular by chance. He just appeals more to the mass public. Doesn't mean they're more talented.

No, I can definitely deny that MOST people know who slash is.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
i think hes a good player but he seems to have become a bit sloppy with age. i dont listen to him much but when i see him giving lessons and interviews his playing doesnt seem that great. i think he was a pretty good player back in the day though. hes not super amazing or anything though.

the whole "emotion" thing is stupid though. you either play with emotion or not. the listener cant decide whether or not you are playing with it or not. they can onlt tell if THEY feel it from your playing or not. but most people confuse the two and think they are the same.
Quote by nashawa
No, I can definitely deny that MOST people know who slash is.

I bet a lot of Muslims in the middle east love G&R.
I'm an asshole.
Welcome to the jungle.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by Guitar Sushi

I think you just made my point for me by sayin this. I'm not sayin that Slash is the greatest guitarist because of speed or sweeping techniques or tapping or any of that but its what he comes up with on the guitar that makes him great. Lets say that ,yeah , maybe some session guitarist can play one of Slashes solos but can he write a solo like Slash can. Maybe the blues scale is used alot by Slash but he can make it sound good in so many different ways. He just seems to have a knack for making you FEEL what he is playing. To me that is what makes a great guitarist no matter what type of music you're playin.

thanks guys for all of your inputs...very interesting
I don't find anything particularly interesting with Slash's solos. Or anything about him really.
I'm an asshole.
Quote by elloel
Apparently, Slash has found some sort of youth fountain and joined a band called Escape The Fate.

He even picked up drumming!

I'm pretty sure the 2nd one to the left is a girl, but I'm not all that sure......
Slash is not the greatest guitarist in terms of technical skill and speed , but he is my FAVOURITE guitarist , and the number one inspiration to my guitar playing and the same to many others. THAT'S what makes him great.
Looking for bandmates , jamming partners in Aberdeen , Scotland , pm please.

09 MIA Tele
Ridgewood LP Custom Copy

Marshall MG30FX
Blackstar HT-Dual
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Quote by lookpizza
Slash is just a boring over rated caricature of a musician.

By far the best way to describe him. Sure he can play guitar but not nearly as well as most kids think. I saw a video of him playing a hendrix cover that I'm sure had Jimi turning in his grave it was so bad.

Also he is an egotistical prick that thinks he's better than everyone else, so I've pretty much lost all my respect for him.
Last edited by JayLacelle at Sep 27, 2010,
Quote by JayLacelle
Sure he can play guitar but not nearly as well as most kids think. I saw a video of him playing a hendrix cover that I'm sure had Jimi turning in his grave it was so bad.

The irony of this made me laugh.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Page 1 of 3