Twinkling in the sky is a diamond star of 10 billion trillion trillion carats, astronomers have discovered.

The cosmic diamond is a chunk of crystallised carbon, 4,000 km across, some 50 light-years from the Earth in the constellation Centaurus.

It's the compressed heart of an old star that was once bright like our Sun but has since faded and shrunk.

Astronomers have decided to call the star "Lucy" after the Beatles song, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/3492919.stm

Dayuum... pretty cool what we keep finding.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Indeed, its just a shame so little of each country's budget goes into science and research, think the UK's is 1% of govt spending, pathetic.
Would like to see somebody try and cut through that diamond
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
cool, but that article is older than my ug account
now extra flamey
Quote by Pipsicles
Indeed, its just a shame so little of each country's budget goes into science and research, think the UK's is 1% of govt spending, pathetic.

You probably spend more on homeopathy

Quote by Ikey
cool, but that article is older than my ug account

Oh it was It was the most read on BBC which is pretty much always the latest articles.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Picture yourself in a boat on a river,
With tangerine trees and marmalade skieeeesssss....

anyway, pretty cool stuff. I'm sure now we're going to find a way there and mine the living hell out of it until it's gone
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by bass-man9712
Picture yourself in a boat on a river,
With tangerine trees and marmalade skieeeesssss....

anyway, pretty cool stuff. I'm sure now we're going to find a way there and mine the living hell out of it until it's gone

50 million light years is an awful long way to go just for diamonds. The cost of even developing the technology to do that far outweighs any value that diamond could have. Also, diamonds are so common on Earth it's not funny, it's just the large companies which own the rights to mining them all which makes them so expensive.
I'm going to give this to the girl I like.

NOW DO YOU LOVE ME ADELAIDE? NOW DO YOU LOVE ME!?

...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by XianXiuHong
50 million light years is an awful long way to go just for diamonds. The cost of even developing the technology to do that far outweighs any value that diamond could have. Also, diamonds are so common on Earth it's not funny, it's just the large companies which own the rights to mining them all which makes them so expensive.

people are stupid though, we might find a new use for diamonds or run out. I can see this happening. But you make a point, i'm thinking in the future though.
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Can't you like, buy land on mars, you just have to forfeit rights to it if life is discovered there?

Could you buy this?

Just saying, if that won't win you a trophy girl nothing will.
Quote by XianXiuHong

It's only 50 light years...not that it really matters though
Quote by stratkat
Can't you like, buy land on mars, you just have to forfeit rights to it if life is discovered there?

Could you buy this?

Just saying, if that won't win you a trophy girl nothing will.

Unless of course, she is against flashy diamonds for political and moral reasons
Quote by bass-man9712
people are stupid though, we might find a new use for diamonds or run out. I can see this happening. But you make a point, i'm thinking in the future though.

We can make diamonds in labs now anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_diamond
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by TomusAM
Unless of course, she is against flashy diamonds for political and moral reasons

pshh, she says that now, but when she has the biggest one known to man she'll be braggin.
We should claim this planet as UG's, to accompany the missile solo.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones