Well here they are:
Kramer Guitars
Laguna Guitars
Jackson Guitars(A few MIJ models are REALLY well priced...dunno why, I thought MIJ meant they make a VERY BIG and PAINFUL hole in you wallet)

Some of these guitars have features that you won't find on anything less than $850 guitars, especially Kramer and Laguna. How is the fretboard playability and more importantly, the wood quality of these instruments? I mean, are they made in china etc or something? If they're US/Jap made, then I have no doubt about wood quality. Someone please help. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Catscratchfever
i think the newer kramers are probably made in china, indonesia or somewhere like that. i have an older musicyo one which was made in korea. I think laguna are cheapish too, and made somewhere similar to kramers, but i could be wrong.

The cheaper MIJ jacksons are still pretty nice (the pro series, maybe even the ones with the x in the model name, but the pro series are nicer), but in my limited experience, anyway, there was a pretty big jump up in quality to the neck-thru japanese ones- the sl3 was a lot nicer than the dk2, kind of thing, and i assume it's the same thing for the other neck-thru MIJ ones too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Lagunas are damn cheap, but the features are stunning..they have sh*t like Wilkinson trems and stuff. And it says "Louisiana Swamp Ash" body quite clearly. Does that mean that its actually american wood or am I just being naive?!
not sure... i don't trust marketing either
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just because wood was grown in America doesn't make it good. Most of the best wood is grown in Africa and South America.

Where it was made does have some bearing. Generally, guitars made in America and Japan are the best you can get, but it really comes down to what is used when it is made, not who makes it, which people tend to jump on bandwagons about, and become elitist/racist about.

A type of wood has many types within in. Just because a guitar says it's made out of mahogany doesn't mean that it's the same kind of mahogany that would be used on Gibson Customs.

Spec sheets can only do so much.

Really, the most important thing you can do, is not worry about where the guitar was made, or what was used to make it, but judge each guitar individually. Because no two pieces of wood are the same, and no spec sheet can ever really tell you what a guitar will sound like.

Equally, there can be some great guitars made in China, and some really shitty guitars made in America. There are generalizations that are usually right, but in the end, you should view each guitar individually, as each guitar is unique, even if it is mass produced and not hand made.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
it totally depends on the local wood market for the type of wood used. as mentioned marketing uses a general term like mahogany for instance. there are like 23 different trees that are classified as mahogany and you can bet that some are better than others for guitar making. the chinese and indonesian made guitars tend to use locally available woods which may or may not be good. the lower end guitars tend to be a bit of a crap shoot as some are great and others are firewood.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i think the newer kramers are probably made in china, indonesia or somewhere like that. i have an older musicyo one which was made in korea. I think laguna are cheapish too, and made somewhere similar to kramers, but i could be wrong.

The cheaper MIJ jacksons are still pretty nice (the pro series, maybe even the ones with the x in the model name, but the pro series are nicer), but in my limited experience, anyway, there was a pretty big jump up in quality to the neck-thru japanese ones- the sl3 was a lot nicer than the dk2, kind of thing, and i assume it's the same thing for the other neck-thru MIJ ones too.

yeah dave nailed it...just like always

BTW ts you forgot MIJ ibbys...you get a load of quality for the price you pay,they have gone up a bit,but still I think they are reasonably priced...

Ahhh those days ....a RG1570 was like 700 bucks
Last edited by archenemyfan at Sep 13, 2010,
yeah i remember at one point you could get an rg1570 for about £400 here.

And

It'd be worth finding out what the wilkinson trem is, too- the dearer (better, i presume) ones are made by gotoh in japan, but there are cheaper ones too which, I presume, are made in korea or china. They may be pretty good, too, but it'd be worth finding out.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
just like everyone else, its not who makes it or where its made, its how its made.

just in case you care

Kramer is owned by Gibson

and

Jackson is owned by Fender
The good value of some of the MIJ Jacksons is down to the fact that they lose the cosmetic features to keep the price down. So you get stuff like rosewood fretboards with no binding and plastic inlays at a price point where other companies might give you a Korean or Indonesian guitar with a bound ebony fretboard with MOP inlays. Also you'll notice that while you can get graphic finishes and the like, they really ramp up the price over the plain finishes.

The Japanese construction costs more, so the have to lose the flashy extras to keep the price competitive.

Really good guitars too, I love my DK2M.