This might be a stupid quesion but can you get a smooth clean sound out of a mid size (say 40 watt) combo valve amp at high volume?

I heard from someone that when you turn up the volume, the gain also increases an it gives you a crunch sound. Is this true?

thanx
It would depend on the amp and its settings, and how high you have your guitar volume.
Depends on the amp. A single channel Fender style non-master volume type amp will increase the gain as you increase the volume. the louder you go the more crunch you get. Of course you can counter that by rolling back on the volume knob.

Lots of newer style multi-channel amps have a channel dedicated to clean. You won't experience the breakup at higher volumes as you would with a single channel amp.
Sure you can.......I had a peavey xxx super 40 and got some nice cleans outta it.
Am I the only person that gets annoyed by the way the term "gain" gets used? Of course turning up the volume increases the gain but gain != distortion. I assume what you actually meant was "will increase the distortion as you increase volume". Gain simply means the amplification factor.

Quite a few amps will stay clean at high volume but most will distort at least a little at 10.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
would a fender hot rod deville 410 sound good even if you are not playing loud and getting the tubes hot!

oh yeah, what matt420740 said!
Quote by alaskan_ninja
I once shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

Quote by vacant_pistol
Dude, this is Ultimate-Guitar.com
Opinions means fact, man.

Quote by sickstring11
Is it wrong for me to drink my own urine? Yes, but I do anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste.
you'll be fine unless it is a single channel amp, which i'm guessing its not. as long as their is a dedicated clean channel you'll have a great tone. 40 watts is perfect for a tube combo, and that will get plenty loud for you.
Quote by Cathbard
Am I the only person that gets annoyed by the way the term "gain" gets used? Of course turning up the volume increases the gain but gain != distortion. I assume what you actually meant was "will increase the distortion as you increase volume". Gain simply means the amplification factor.

Quite a few amps will stay clean at high volume but most will distort at least a little at 10.

This.

Gain and distortion aren't the same thing. That knob on the control panel of your amp is LYING to you. Pure evil, no?

A tube amp's power section will start distorting when it's turned up enough. It'll also render you deaf should you try that with one of the bigger models.
depends on the amp, and depends on what you mean by "loud".

pretty much what Matt420740, mcamp1230 and cathbard are saying...

EDIT: the problem isn't really the fact that it'll start to overdrive at higher volumes, most valve amps will, it's whether the point at which it overdrives is loud enough (if you want a clean tone).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by Dave_Mc
depends on the amp, and depends on what you mean by "loud".

pretty much what Matt420740, mcamp1230 and cathbard are saying...

EDIT: the problem isn't really the fact that it'll start to overdrive at higher volumes, most valve amps will, it's whether the point at which it overdrives is loud enough (if you want a clean tone).

Yes this exactly what i mean...

If i play crouds of about 200-300

What wattage amp would have enough "Head room" to still get nice smooth clean sounds?
Quote by Lucky13!
Yes this exactly what i mean...

If i play crouds of about 200-300

What wattage amp would have enough "Head room" to still get nice smooth clean sounds?

There is no definitive answer to that. Different power tubes will breakup at different points in their operating range, and circuit design also has a role in the amps clean headroom. All amps aren't equal, even if they are the same wattage.

You need to try out some amps, decide what is loud enough for you. We could probably give you a few suggestions, but with no info about your musical choices that would be hard.

Just to point you in the right direction , if you want loud cleans from a tube amp, look for a master volume amp with a dedicated clean channel, at least 40w or more. Stay away from EL84 powered amps, as they tend to break up earlier.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Sep 13, 2010,
yeah, i would imagine somewhere around 40-50 watts, to be safe. 30 watts might do it, depending on the amp, and 100 watts would be safe for sure (as long as it's not an amp which doesn't really have cleans at all), but might be overkill.

agreed with your other points, too, it depends on the amp in question, to a certain extent.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cathbard
It used to bother me until I realized that it was simply part of the vernacular and there is nothing you can do about it.