when i record onto my laptop i have quite a noticable maybe 6ms of latency, and i've read around and a seperate soundcard/interface whatsit might be the solution.
would http://www.inta-audio.com/dj-equipment-c125/computer-dj-vj-c126/numark-numark-stereo-io-usb-audio-interface-p2680?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=2679&utm_campaign=froogle#2679 solve the problem??

i also plan to use this in conjuction with a Behringer Xenyx 802, so would this be good for my problem?

thanks
Quote by Tay-ron
go listen to the sound of grass growing. then play it.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||| My Music
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
Even my MBox gives me latency sometimes. What I often do, at least for recording guitar and bass, is set up a stereo pedal, like a flanger or something, and let it do it's thing. I don't have the effect on, but I still have the signal going out both into the MBox (with monitoring off for tracks that are being recorded) and the other going to my amp so I can hear myself.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
The latency may be caused by your operating system. In particular, the recent versions of Windows (Vista and 7) have completely been re-written in regards to audio recording and playback, so if that's the case you might wanna think of getting a computer dedicated to music.
hmm yeah i have used a vista laptop and there was no audible latency, tand that was just mic into a 3.5mm jack mic input on the laptop, but the one i'm using now has XP and i've noticed a massive increase. BUT i've used an incredibly old laptop with windows 2000 and i didn't notice any latency on that..

and i'm also looking into keeping the costs down :P
Quote by Tay-ron
||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
Quote by kumamilesbear
Even my MBox gives me latency sometimes. What I often do, at least for recording guitar and bass, is set up a stereo pedal, like a flanger or something, and let it do it's thing. I don't have the effect on, but I still have the signal going out both into the MBox (with monitoring off for tracks that are being recorded) and the other going to my amp so I can hear myself.

and how do you do this, when you're playing along with say a drum machine does it make any difference to the time lag between the drum machine (or any other track) and the recorded guitar?
Quote by Tay-ron
||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
You're recording with a laptop which has a slow processor and more importantly, a slow HDD in it.
Desktops usually run 7200rpm drives where as laptops have 5400rpm drives to save battery life.

An audio interface swap may not help you at all.
Also, 6ms of latency isn't noticible...from what I've heard in the past, it starts being an issue around 20ms.

If you want real time audio playback, look into audio interfaces that offer "zero latency monitoring". Most of the low end units won't do this and higher end ones that do don't play back anything but the dry input signal as the only way to have low latency monitoring is to never send it though the computer for processing before sending it to the headphones.
None of that will really help with a slow computer though...you should look into solid state drives or a faster spinning drive connected via USB2 or Firewire if ya can. Newegg has plenty of 7200rpm 2.5" drives which most should plug directly into your laptop without issue. If you have an Esata port on there that would be even better than the firewire or USB.
6ms is nothing. You must be on crack if you can notice that.
I think I have more than that and it's fine to me, I wish I had 6ms if anything.

You will always have latency somewhat. Until we reach technology that will instantaneously process things, you'll always have 1 millisecond or more latency, but that's not noticeable.
i'd have to say my best games are
1- master of orion 2
2- worms world party
3- X-com
4- FINAL FANTASY VIII
5- Dune 2000
Google ASIO drivers for your soundcard. ASIO is a driver with nearly zero latency. Good luck
Last edited by pdawson at Sep 14, 2010,
latency is just the nature of the beast and many things determine it, starting with computer hardware. use a more powerful machine to record, for starters. a better interface with ADA conversion would be the next step.

you get what you pay for.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
I never found latency a big problem. My setup lags about 1/2 a second but its not hard to snip that out after the track is recorded.
Now, if only I could eliminate thumb latency on my bass tracks........
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x