I've discovered my muting technique is horrible. When I'm playing on the lower strings, how do I mute the higher strings? Stupid question I know, but I can't figure out how.

When playing on the higher strings, I mute the lower strings by laying my hand on them. This however, has caused my to developing an anchoring habit. I lay my hand on the strings, and I can't really pick all that well unless my hand is on strings. I don't feel any tension, and I'm not pushing down on the strings (my guitar has a trem, and I've checked with a tuner, my hand on the strings isn't moving the bridge). Is this all right. There's no tension in my hand, so I'm not really worried about tendinitis or any thing, but I'm afraid I might be limiting myself. Will it make that mush difference?
Quote by robhc
I've discovered my muting technique is horrible. When I'm playing on the lower strings, how do I mute the higher strings? Stupid question I know, but I can't figure out how.

When playing on the higher strings, I mute the lower strings by laying my hand on them. This however, has caused my to developing an anchoring habit. I lay my hand on the strings, and I can't really pick all that well unless my hand is on strings. I don't feel any tension, and I'm not pushing down on the strings (my guitar has a trem, and I've checked with a tuner, my hand on the strings isn't moving the bridge). Is this all right. There's no tension in my hand, so I'm not really worried about tendinitis or any thing, but I'm afraid I might be limiting myself. Will it make that mush difference?

if you're contact with the strings does not hinder your motion at all, I would say there's nothing wrong with it personally. Mute higher strings the same way you mute lower strings. You might have to re-position your hand just a bit. Can't really say without watching you play.
Anchoring is not bad. Many players anchor without any problems, unfortunately those who don't anchor think it's a mortal sin and make it their mission to tell everyone how anchoring is bad.

Anchor all you want as long as you're not tensing up.
Quote by piszczel
Anchoring is not bad. Many players anchor without any problems, unfortunately those who don't anchor think it's a mortal sin and make it their mission to tell everyone how anchoring is bad.

Anchor all you want as long as you're not tensing up.

If you don't tense when you anchor then you're not anchoring. The whole point of anchoring is an intentional tension to stabilise your hand.

Also, you don't mute higher strings with your right hand. You mute higher strings with your left hand and lower strings with your right (assuming that you're right handed).
Quote by Colohue
Also, you don't mute higher strings with your right hand. You mute higher strings with your left hand and lower strings with your right (assuming that you're right handed).

Huh?
I'm definitely sure that I mute any/all strings with either hand (or finger(s)) depending on the situation. Is that wrong?
Quote by Colohue
If you don't tense when you anchor then you're not anchoring. The whole point of anchoring is an intentional tension to stabilise your hand.

To my understanding, anchoring is touching the guitar body with your pinky (or more fingers) when playing or resting your picking hand on the strings when playing.

You're simply wrong. Anchoring is having a part of your hand touching THE SAME PLACE ON THE GUITAR to give you stability. This doesn't intimate TENSION at all. It's perfectly possible to anchor and develop good technique with it without being tense. Internet technique freaks would have you believe different, but they're pretty much wrong 50% of the time.
You should all read ZeGuitarist's guide to muting. It will do wonders for your technique if you're muting higher strings with your right hand.

Also, learn about anchoring. Why do you think it can cause issues like Carpal Tunnel?
^ I know all about anchoring. But there is a safe way to do something and an unsafe way. Trying to push speed boundaries + anchoring = MOST PROBABLY tension..

Anchoring does not cause Carpal Tunnel on it's own, it's a mixture of that and extreme tension. Michael Angelo Batio has been interviewed saying he's never ever had an injury, and his picking technique is pretty freaky, with 3 anchored fingers.

Anyone that says 'do this and you'll get arm cancer omghz' is full of shít. There is a safe and an unsafe way to do anything.

For instance, the movement of the elbow joint is a completely natural one - if i was to then use that natural movement, without tensing up, and apply it to guitar, how can someone tell me that NATURAL movement is going to injure me? It won't.

tl;dr - there are safe and unsafe ways to do everything.
Quote by GilbertsPinky
^ I know all about anchoring. But there is a safe way to do something and an unsafe way. Trying to push speed boundaries + anchoring = MOST PROBABLY tension..

Anchoring does not cause Carpal Tunnel on it's own, it's a mixture of that and extreme tension. Michael Angelo Batio has been interviewed saying he's never ever had an injury, and his picking technique is pretty freaky, with 3 anchored fingers.

Anyone that says 'do this and you'll get arm cancer omghz' is full of shít. There is a safe and an unsafe way to do anything.

For instance, the movement of the elbow joint is a completely natural one - if i was to then use that natural movement, without tensing up, and apply it to guitar, how can someone tell me that NATURAL movement is going to injure me? It won't.

tl;dr - there are safe and unsafe ways to do everything.

thats true but i think when you anchor a part of you onto the guitar, 9 times out of 10 people will be tense. if you can do it without tension, more power to you. personally, i dont see much of a point of keeping your finger(s) in a fixed position. the only time i ever do it is when im finger picking sometimes ill anchor the pinky for some things. but with using a pick, i dont see the point because you have to move your whole hand back and forth and up and down the strings. but people do it so i guess its just personal prefrence.

i do touch the guitar with my fingers when im picking but its not fixed at all.
What i'm saying is that people go overboard. There was a guy on here recently who didn't move his arm at all because of everything he'd heard about wrist-only playing and it was hampering him.