ok out of interest is it possible to get the crunch you hear in pantera's walk from using a 10 band EQ?

i have an epiphone prophecy EX (EMG 81/85) a marshal haze mini stack, a barber dirty bomb and an MXR 10 band EQ.

im not saying i want that sound since i have my own sound that i really love but im wondering if you can get that tone just from using the EQ rather than having to change pups?

the amount of settings got me thinking, could you just recommend an EQ instead of a pick-up change?
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
With a 10 band eq you can get a great deal of control over your tone, in that you can specificy a greater number of specific frequencies that can be altered, therefore changed the tonal balance of your sound more. So theoretically you can do a great deal with 10 band equal in respect to the levles of each frequency band within your sound. But theres other things to consider with a tone such as drive, effect, compression, amp, guitar, playing style, which combined create the tone.
An EQ wont really get you crunch. Are you wanting more gain that the amp has?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Mike_Atherton
With a 10 band eq you can get a great deal of control over your tone, in that you can specificy a greater number of specific frequencies that can be altered, therefore changed the tonal balance of your sound more. So theoretically you can do a great deal with 10 band equal in respect to the levles of each frequency band within your sound. But theres other things to consider with a tone such as drive, effect, compression, amp, guitar, playing style, which combined create the tone.

/thread right there, couldn't have put it better myself
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
An EQ pedal is not a br00t4lizer for your amp, it's a means of getting closer to the tone you hear in your head by boosting/cutting the frequencies the amp puts out.

If you want more gain you're going to have to hit the front end (input) hard with an OD pedal or higher output pickups, or both.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
An EQ can amplify frequencies as well as cut them, so if you boost across the entire range it would act similar to a clean boost pedal, except I don't think it would have as much gain. It's worth a try, though.

Dimebag would actually boost the mids on his EQ pedal, and cut the mids using a Furman parametric EQ.
Last edited by sashki at Sep 13, 2010,
no i meant using it in conjunction to my barber dirty bomb and the settings already on my amp so it looks possible.

either way like i said i dont want that tone, i like the sound i already have i was just wondering if it was possible lol
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band