Hi, I'm 16 so don't have a huge budget. Any way, atm, I've got a cheap mic and I'm not sure what it is, and a Shure PG48 which isn't bad, soon I'm getting a Shure SM58. I record onto a Boss BR900, the way the there are 3 inputs, 2 for mics (for different sized jacks) but I think you can only use one input at a time, and one for plugging the guitar straight in, atm, I've just been recording drums with one mic (pg48) which is ok for demos, but I'm getting better at recording, so is there some kind of thing where I can plug all 3 mics in, then put them into the one input on the Boss BR900? Also, how should I position the mics? I was thinking the SM58 on the snare and hi hat, PG48 on the bass and the vheaper one on the cymbals and toms. But any suggestions welcome.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Yes, it's called a mixer, though you aren't going to be able to change anything after it's recorded, since they're all going into 1 track (input).

Look up the recorder man drum micing method on youtube. That, with one in the bass drum is what I'd do.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You could use a small mixer to combine all three signals to go into one input.

I've heard that you can record some pretty decent drum sounds with one mic, except the sound of the room plays a very large part, since you can't close-mic anything.

You could use a large-diaphragm condenser mic of some sort, but they tend to be pretty expensive. I'm told a Shure 57 will work pretty well, too, if you suspend it about above the bass drum and higher than the cymbals.
That BR-900 and a handful of random mics brings me back to recording with a $0 budget band and their ghetto recording techniques.

Have everyone pitch in for a few decent mics, small mixer, and a solid pair of headphones.
1st thing to say is wrong forum........should be in rec and riffs (reported to get it moved there)

the easiest thing for you would be with just of couple of room mics and hope for the best, but otherwise you are going to need a minimum of a 8 track mixer for a standard 5 piece kit, plus whatever else you need for the other instruments
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by hardrockerdave9
Hi, I'm 16 so don't have a huge budget. Any way, atm, I've got a cheap mic and I'm not sure what it is, and a Shure PG48 which isn't bad, soon I'm getting a Shure SM58. I record onto a Boss BR900, the way the there are 3 inputs, 2 for mics (for different sized jacks) but I think you can only use one input at a time, and one for plugging the guitar straight in, atm, I've just been recording drums with one mic (pg48) which is ok for demos, but I'm getting better at recording, so is there some kind of thing where I can plug all 3 mics in, then put them into the one input on the Boss BR900? Also, how should I position the mics? I was thinking the SM58 on the snare and hi hat, PG48 on the bass and the vheaper one on the cymbals and toms. But any suggestions welcome.

What MC said.

Though why are you getting the 58? The 57 would be way better for both applications. I mean, it's a pretty go-to mic for generic snare mic'ing. Can't say I've ever seen a 58 being used on a kit (except once as an overhead on a pinch), but 57's are there all the time.

Also, a dynamic mic on the hats :/ Wouldn't recommend it.

If I were to use 3 mics, I'd do kick, snare, overhead. Generally, IMO, the order of importance (for recording) is: overhead>kick>snare>floor tom>hats>2nd overhead>rest of the toms>spot mic on the ride or other problem cymbals>underside of snare. This is obviously somewhat reliant on your playing stlye and drum kit, but in my time as a session drummer, that's what I'd choose. For live use I'd probably just switch kick and overhead and the rest would be the same.
Quote by josephde
What MC said.

Though why are you getting the 58? The 57 would be way better for both applications. I mean, it's a pretty go-to mic for generic snare mic'ing. Can't say I've ever seen a 58 being used on a kit (except once as an overhead on a pinch), but 57's are there all the time.

Also, a dynamic mic on the hats :/ Wouldn't recommend it.

Oops meant to say 57. Anyway, what would you recomend on the hi hats then? Bear in mind I'm on a pretty tight budget.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
With 3 mics you can use, none. The hihat will cut through in the Overhead (be sure to EQ the treble up a bit). As somebody else said, mic the kick / snare / overhead.