Hi!

I'm planning on buying a new amplifier. Currently I have Roland Micro Cube, but I would like to get a better amp. I don't play in a band, so it would be for home use only. I play mostly rock and metal, but also some blues, jazz etc, so I'm looking for a versatile amp with good distorted sound. My budget is about 300€, but you can also suggest a bit more expensive amps, because I could save some more money and buy a little more expensive one. Any suggestions?
Well I play a lot of "extreme metal" (like melodic death metal), so I guess my first priority would be a great distorted sound.
I've been looking around for a while now, and a lot of people praise Peavey Vypyr-series. Would f. ex. Vypyr 75 be a good choice for me? Does anyone have experience from it (or Vypyr 30): does it have capability for harder metal (like thrash, death etc.)?
Well I really don't know shit about amplifiers, that's why I'm here. Thought you guys could help me out. How does tube amp differ from SS amp?
One is powered by tubes, the other is powered by SS components?

There's a lot to it, there's no easy answer that encompasses the whole idea.

However, modeling technology is blurring the lines between them. Just because something is an SS amp doesn't mean its bad, modeling technology is making them quite flexible, and able to mimic, to some degree, tube amps' tone.
300 whatever that symbol is? thats equal to about 400 USdollars right? if so i recomend saving up a little bit more and getting a peavey valveking 112. or, if you want a head, go for a blackstar ht5 (great distorted sound, see my thread loud enough to gig with) and pick up a 1x12 or 2x12 used. that should do u right. oh and if that wont get as distorted as you like, get a boss metalcore.
Last edited by bluejaydude at Sep 14, 2010,
Would I be able to get a decent (extreme metal capable) tube amp for about 400-500€?
Quote by bluejaydude
300 whatever that symbol is? thats equal to about 400 USdollars right? if so i recomend saving up a little bit more and getting a peavey valveking 112. or, if you want a head, go for a blackstar ht5 (great distorted sound, see my thread loud enough to gig with) and pick up a 1x12 or 2x12 used. that should do u right

It's euro-symbol, I'm from Finland. And yeah, it's about 400$. At the moment I'm playing only at home, so I won't need a really loud amp.
But the vypyr is a SS (if thats the 1 ur talkin bout, not the tube 1s) and wont sound as good. IMO the vypyr is kinda digital sounding and hard to use
^You do realize 5 tube watts is still very loud, right? It's only half as loud as a 50 watt tube amp.

Quote by bluejaydude
But the vypyr is a SS (if thats the 1 ur talkin bout, not the tube 1s) and wont sound as good. IMO the vypyr is kinda digital sounding and hard to use

It's not hard to use if you know how to read, and are willing to look at the manual.

SS doesn't mean something is bad...
Do you think it sounds digital, or is that what you've been told? The Valveking is a mediocre tube amp, IMO. It's not a big step up from a decent modeling amp to a mediocre tube amp.