Hey

would anyone be able to offer me any advice on the boss br 600 digital recorder?
I am thinking about getting it to record my music, which would be acoustic guitar, electric guitar and vocals....possibly some drums as well which is able to be created by using this recorder. (i am not a drummer)
Advice i am looking are things like the sound quality of the in-built mic, how well it picks up sound, is it the best thing to use for that price range, if not what alternatives are better without spending much more, etc.

PS. Also, a little extra information is that im not looking to plug it into a computer, would rather get it recorded and mixed down on one thing although not end of the world if cant.

Any info or advice would be much appreciated...
I still think Tascam does better for MTRs and field recorders however The Boss BR600 isnt a bad starting device. You will need some XLR/TRS cables to run prosumer mics like the Shure SM57/SM58 however that's no big issue.

I think someone reviewed the BR600 in the UG Gear Review thread linked in my sig.
Honestly, I don't see the appeal. Why not just do it on a computer? You could get a decent interface, microphone and DAW a similar price and have much better expandability, mixing capabilities and a much nicer user interface, making for a much more enjoyable time spent recording.

Boss BR600 - £210
Shure SM57/58 - £70 (the inbuilt microphone isn't really gonna cut it, to be honest)
TOTAL - £280

or

M-Audio Fast Track Pro - £130 (for example)
Shure SM-57/58 - £70
Reaper - £30
TOTAL - £230

If there's something I'm missing about these hardware recorders, then please enlighten me. I guess the only good thing I can see about them is if you don't have a decent computer and can't afford to upgrade.

I know this wasn't what you asked for, but I hope this helped show you the alternatives
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by loonyguitarist
Honestly, I don't see the appeal. Why not just do it on a computer? You could get a decent interface, microphone and DAW a similar price and have much better expandability, mixing capabilities and a much nicer user interface, making for a much more enjoyable time spent recording.

Boss BR600 - £210
Shure SM57/58 - £70 (the inbuilt microphone isn't really gonna cut it, to be honest)
TOTAL - £280

or

M-Audio Fast Track Pro - £130 (for example)
Shure SM-57/58 - £70
Reaper - £30
TOTAL - £230

If there's something I'm missing about these hardware recorders, then please enlighten me. I guess the only good thing I can see about them is if you don't have a decent computer and can't afford to upgrade.

I know this wasn't what you asked for, but I hope this helped show you the alternatives

ive had a bad experience with using a computer to record songs. my old computer (although it wasnt that great) was getting worse when i recorded songs to my computer, and the sound wasnt that great either. and in the past for a music course i did, i used a nice mixer and i just feel that using a digital recorder or mixer as oppose to a computer could be better imo. Although i do have a mac now, so could be worth having another look into your alternative.
but this does help, i am doing all the research i can before i make my decision. i dont plan to be buying anything for another couple of months.