Hi,
I'm starting my GCSE music, and I have a question regarding guitar recording software. I plan to layer rhythm, lead and bass guitar, all played by me, and was wondering what the best software/method of doing this is? Preferably one that covers everything, and that picks up all the effects and subtleties of my playing.
Thanks!
Melissasattack
I have absolutely no idea or helpful advice. Someone told me to use Reaper and I like it, plus it's free.
la de da.
Any decent software will do it. Reaper is great. I love Garaggeband but i have a mac. It'll be more about your recording and editing/mixing skill if you want to pick up subtleties.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Choice of software won't give you different sounds, it's all down to how easy you find the software to use and what features it has. Personally I use Cubase 5, it's very simple to do basic things on it but it's got all the advanced features as well. I've used Logic, Pro Tools and the like in the past, but found them all a bit overcomplicated compared to Cubase, so that's probably your best bet.

Getting a good mix is entirely down to you, for best results, try double tracking all the parts.
This means recording every part twice and mixing the two takes together to get a much stronger sound. Also, learn to pan effectively, a very good basic mix for guitars bass and drums goes like this:

Drums - center panned
Bass - center panned
Rhythm one - left panned about 30-60%
Rhythm two - right panned same amount as Rhythm one
Lead - each track panned a small amount off center (maybe 5-10%
All parts apart from drums double tracked
but it's all down to you to play around and find what sounds best for you

If you need any more advice drop me a PM
ohai little sig.
Last edited by Demonikk at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by zgbgydug
I have absolutely no idea or helpful advice. Someone told me to use Reaper and I like it, plus it's free.

If you have no idea or helpful advice, why did you post in the first place?

Anyway @TS: Reaper is good and "free" (unlimited trial without limitations). I'd reccomend getting a cheap interface like the Line 6 studio GX (or UX1/UX2/UX2 if you need a XLR microphone input). You can plug your guitar into the interface directly, and process the signal through Pod Farm afterwards to fine-tune your tone and add effects and whatnot.
In terms of recording a pretty basic standard way of mixing is this:

Drums: center

Bass: dead center.

Rhythm guitars: usually double tracked at the minimum, with each take hard panned to opposite sides (Think about 90-100% panned in a direction for one track). If you want even thicker, you can quad track and then perhaps mix the third and fourth takes slightly smaller on each side around 85%

Lead Guitar/Vocals: are usually right up the middle. If you're playing a song that has two lead parts going at the same time, you'll want to pan them in opposite directions so it is more clear.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception