Some of the frets on my replica Strat have had dents in them since I bought it (new)
What can be done because its really annoying when I have to bend over them?
Also my 1st - 6th frets have developed indentations from playing.

I've installed new pickups, hardtailed the bridge on the Strat but I've never worked on the fretboard.

Thanks.
replica black stratocaster, ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom / ernie ball super slinky
digitech death metal
as eg10j 10watt amp
I would go take it into a guitar shop. They should have a guitar tech who can easily replace frets for you.

Edit: Why did you hardtail a Strat? If we're both thinking the basic Fender Strat (3 single coil pickups, Fender metal bridge, etc.), it comes made as a hardtail...
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 13, 2010,
CrazySam: It sounds like what he did was convert the bridge (which, stock, is a tremelo bridge) to hardtail either with new components or by blocking the trem. Good idea if you never use the trem, it improved mine quite a bit.

That said, I would also take it to a guitar shop if it were mine. Fretwork isn't something I'd want to tackle myself.
do it yourself if you are any good with your hands, file and crown. there is a sticky, fretwork primer you should read and decide. I did it, easy and great now.
@crazysam I did what Axe_bruner did and blocked it off to improve tuning and sustain. I dont use tremelo.

So do the frets need to be replaced or filed down?
They're pretty deep dents so if they were filed the frets would become rather short in distance away from the fretboard affecting the pitch, making the guitar sound out of tune.
replica black stratocaster, ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom / ernie ball super slinky
digitech death metal
as eg10j 10watt amp
filed, crowned, sanded, buffed. If they have never been dressed before they should be ok, if they are too damaged some may need replacing.
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by Axe_Burner
CrazySam: It sounds like what he did was convert the bridge (which, stock, is a tremelo bridge) to hardtail either with new components or by blocking the trem. Good idea if you never use the trem, it improved mine quite a bit.
Ah, I misunderstood. I pictured some weird combo of a Strat bridge and a Tremol-No.

Btw, TS, check this out: http://ultimate-guitar-repair.com/how-to-redress-frets/. It's a blog article on how to redress frets, if you wish to repair it yourself. It also briefly discusses whether one should redress their frets or just replace the bad frets.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 13, 2010,
Thanks to all who contributed.
Fret redress is what I am looking for.
I looked at the link, and decided I will take it to a repair shop because I really don't want to end up attempting something without the proper knowledge and ending up replacing a neck or worse.
digitech death metal
as eg10j 10watt amp