Hi,

I wanna buy a new amp but im in a dilemma:

should I buy a Marshall MG30DFX or a Line 6 Spider III 30 watts?

I play heavy metal (Metallica, etc.) & hard rock (Kiss, AC DC, etc.) and I want a good crunchy sound with kick ass distortion.

Also, does 30 watt loud?? because I might buy a 50 watt?? (practice amp)

which one is better??

thanks for answering.
Neither are "kick ass." Both "suck ass."

Judging by the amps you're looking at, you have a very limited budget.

1) Save up more money, get something way better.

2) Peavey Vypyr. Not good but better than MG and Spider.

3) Vox Valvetronix. More expensive, but better tone.
Last edited by Seref at Sep 13, 2010,
Don't get either, you'll regret both. You don't necessarily need to get a tube amp, but MG's and Spiders are the worst.
Equipment
White Ibanez ART100
Behringer HM-300
Crate GX-130c
neither. those are possibly the two worst options available.

budget?
home use only or jamming with a drummer ever?
is used ok, or just new?
location location location, what is yours?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
No, try a Peavey vyper.
Line6 and Marshall both make great amps, just not those ones.
EDIT, yeah.
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 13, 2010,
well, first things first read the responses to your thread, that should give you a bit of a clue, and answer any questions which have been asked.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

I'll probably sound like a jerk, but really the MG's and Spiders are just horrid. The worst of the worst.
Modeling amps are decent, things like the Vyper are pretty sweet, and the Roland Cube is nice as well. But the Spiders are OVERLY digital, especially the distortion. I hate the "Insane" setting they boast about having. It sounds terrible.

Anyways, maybe have a look into the Vyper series of amps from Peavey. I hear a lot of good about them.

EDIT: I honestly think it's hilarious watching these kinds of threads, the moment anyone sees "MG" or "Spider" or sometimes even just "Line 6", people go crazy with hate.

But I am in no way defending these amps.. The hate on them is for a good reason
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Sep 13, 2010,
I agree with all the posts and have nothing further to add.

Oh yes, by the way, do not get a Line 6 or MG.
Quote by jowl1993
what are you proposing then???

you can participate in your thread by answering the questions asked of you.

see above for said questions.
Quote by jowl1993
any good marshalls then??? or only the stacks are good?

Why does it have to be Marshall? Will you consider any other brand/makes?
Don't limit yourself. Just because your favorite guitarist used a Marshall, doesn't mean it's the one suited for you.

EDIT: I dunno 311, we've certainly had plenty of those threads. Why make a thread asking for advice, then turn down all the help?
I have a Vox AD30VT, which sounds great for everything, they also do a version with more heavy rock and metal sounds, called the XL or something. Also owning a Bandit, I would recommend looking at the Peavey Envoy 110 (30 or 40 watt version, but don't pay £200 for it, you can get a Bandit for that if you shop around).
Fender Lite Ash Strat MIK
Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube
Vox AD30VT
Little Big Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by jowl1993
any good marshalls then??? or only the stacks are good?

can you focking read or are you just trolling?

answer the questions, then you get help.

ask more obvious troll questions, get a ban.

your call.
I just want to add that Line 6 can make a fine pratice amp but you have to spend a little more money to reach a sound that can do distortion of"kick ass" proportions.
Alright people, Move along - there is nothing to see.
"Or so you think..."
Most of the time when I see threads like these (I.E. MG vs Spider or whatever) I honestly think we're being trolled
But you never know..
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Most of the time when I see threads like these (I.E. MG vs Spider or whatever) I honestly think we're being trolled
But you never know..

I'm kind of thinking this is a troll. The guy is registered since 2008. If you haven't seen the MG/Spider hate in here in 2 years... Troll.
Quote by Seref
I'm kind of thinking this is a troll. The guy is registered since 2008. If you haven't seen the MG/Spider hate in here in 2 years... Troll.

I hadn't actually noticed his join date. Alright, yeah, if you've been around on UG since '08, I'm sure you've thread countless threads on the EG and GG&A forums about Spiders and MG's and whatever. There's no way you would think either have "Kick-ass" distortion.

Although.. The MG's have the "CRUSHING OVERDRIVE"..
yeah, they be trollin'.

bummer too, it's nice to help people but when you see this shit, you just want to ignore the threads where people legitimately need help because you're trolled out.

edit: *reported*
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 13, 2010,